Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

1 hour ago, sankaty said:

Some details of the new Ikon Pass have been announced:  https://www.ikonpass.com/en/

The FAQ indicates that they are discontinuing the MAX pass.  Unless the Ikon lineup grows to include the Okemo/Sunappee/CB group, that will be a major loss for me as we've been staying between Killington/Pico and Okemo.

There are very few details about pricing and value so far, so I assume this is still a work in progress and thus hard to evaluate.  I suppose the necessity of staying competitive with the Epic Pass will cap the cost somewhat.

Does not include Pico either.  That really is horrible. So all the core Killington skiers who opt for this Icon pass will be shut out of K’s sister resort unless they also buy a separate Pico pass for about  $370.  

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RIP Warren Miller
  • “The best place in the world to ski is where you’re skiing that day.”

“If you dont do it this year, you will be one year older when you do.”

Love going to see the movies every November at the Palace Theater. it’s always a wild and crazy crowd and you get a whole bunch of awesome ski coupons. I loved watching his films when I was in high school and college in the 80’s.

Was a nice day in Northern Vermont.
I honestly cannot believe how well we came out of the last "rain" event... with deeper snow depths and a lot more trails open.  Funny, all we needed to reopen all the natural snow trails was a good cold rainstorm and a few inches of dense snow.  The glades this morning were skiing sweet too...with an edgeable flat base under a few inches of dense snow.

I don’t think it’s the same story in southern and central Vermont. They lost a bunch of trails and I have a feeling this weekend skiing won’t be so great. Man I wish Stowe and Smuggs and Jay Peak were closer to Albany!

21 hours ago, sankaty said:

Some details of the new Ikon Pass have been announced:  https://www.ikonpass.com/en/

The FAQ indicates that they are discontinuing the MAX pass.  Unless the Ikon lineup grows to include the Okemo/Sunappee/CB group, that will be a major loss for me as we've been staying between Killington/Pico and Okemo.

There are very few details about pricing and value so far, so I assume this is still a work in progress and thus hard to evaluate.  I suppose the necessity of staying competitive with the Epic Pass will cap the cost somewhat.

Would really stink to lose those mountains in this.  I hope they are just in the infant stages and will add more mountains later, but Okemo and Sunapee have the same owners (I think) so they may just drop out of the whole thing.  

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Snowmaking avalanche at Sunday River...these happen from time to time in the northeast.  Probably ran on the rain crust.

26994017_10100119785396201_5687075578206

I was there in 01 when a slab cracked on Aurora peak during the day and let go overnight. Very cool to look at, lucky it was at night. That looks like Black Hole on Aurora, nice pitch on that short stedp5

Wow today was rough...iciest day of the season.  Crazy how it got just warm enough to soften the snow surface yesterday, which was then groomed overnight (wet snow smoothed out) and then despite the still mild temperatures, the snow surface froze quickly this morning as drier air moved in (evaporational cooling) and it froze from the ground up as the core temps in the snowpack are very cold.

Let to basically an ice skate this morning on pretty much everything groomed.  Heard it softened a bit in the sun this afternoon on more southerly facing aspects but jeez that was a surprise this morning.

Went to loon Saturday and they had done a fantastic job with snowmaking. Really fun conditions and it softened up. Got icy toward the end of the day. My only complaint is the crowds. Always good people watching at Loon. Dorchester goes to the mountains. 00c816f238f1837dcf0e0aab4459ee77.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Wow today was rough...iciest day of the season.  Crazy how it got just warm enough to soften the snow surface yesterday, which was then groomed overnight (wet snow smoothed out) and then despite the still mild temperatures, the snow surface froze quickly this morning as drier air moved in (evaporational cooling) and it froze from the ground up as the core temps in the snowpack are very cold.

Let to basically an ice skate this morning on pretty much everything groomed.  Heard it softened a bit in the sun this afternoon on more southerly facing aspects but jeez that was a surprise this morning.

Today was insane at Stratton. My buddy on the ski patrol said “this is dangerous I’m out of here”. That said it all. My first run would have been better with ice skates. The 2 minute line for the gondola on an extremely busy weekend said it all. Sucks because Saturday was as fun as it gets. We just can’t seem to win consistently this winter

Fun weekend at Jay peak.   Friday was great.  Some leftover powder in the woods and only a couple of icy spots by end of day.   Saturday the ice showed itself a little sooner with the crowds but still a great day on the mountain.   Today was a disaster.   Around 7pm last night we were at the pub and the rain started.   We had to crawl hands and knees up the hill to get back to the condo (because of the ice not the drinks).  Today I didn't bother putting my boots on but my friends took one run.  Said it was the scariest thing theyve ever done on skis and snowboards.  

Next weekend Killington.  Hope they can battle some snow back on the mountains.   

12 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Today was insane at Stratton. My buddy on the ski patrol said “this is dangerous I’m out of here”. That said it all. My first run would have been better with ice skates. The 2 minute line for the gondola on an extremely busy weekend said it all. Sucks because Saturday was as fun as it gets. We just can’t seem to win consistently this winter

9 hours ago, Southshorewx said:

Fun weekend at Jay peak.   Friday was great.  Some leftover powder in the woods and only a couple of icy spots by end of day.   Saturday the ice showed itself a little sooner with the crowds but still a great day on the mountain.   Today was a disaster.   Around 7pm last night we were at the pub and the rain started.   We had to crawl hands and knees up the hill to get back to the condo (because of the ice not the drinks).  Today I didn't bother putting my boots on but my friends took one run.  Said it was the scariest thing theyve ever done on skis and snowboards.  

Next weekend Killington.  Hope they can battle some snow back on the mountains.   

Yeah sounds similar everywhere yesterday... really a bummer after such a nice day on Saturday.  But that's eastern weather.

The crazy thing about it is you just never know... earlier in the week we had an inch of rain and then a flash freeze, but with a few inches of dense snow thrown in, the conditions were actually better than they were before the inch of rain.  So you can have this huge rain/freezing rain event and come out with better skiing because of the fact that it snowed while the temps were dropping sharply below freezing... but then you have something like Saturday night where a few hundredths of an inch of QPF falling as rain at 36F below 3,000ft can complete ruin it in a shockingly short period of time.

All it takes is 10 minutes of -RN at the wrong time.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah sounds similar everywhere yesterday... really a bummer after such a nice day on Saturday.  But that's eastern weather.

The crazy thing about it is you just never know... earlier in the week we had an inch of rain and then a flash freeze, but with a few inches of dense snow thrown in, the conditions were actually better than they were before the inch of rain.  So you can have this huge rain/freezing rain event and come out with better skiing because of the fact that it snowed while the temps were dropping sharply below freezing... but then you have something like Saturday night where a few hundredths of an inch of QPF falling as rain at 36F below 3,000ft can complete ruin it in a shockingly short period of time.

That’s really interesting – we started skiing around 10:00 A.M. yesterday and everything off Sunny Spruce was soft and fantastic all the way until closing, with just a bit of firming up in the last couple of hours as that colder air worked in.  We even did several runs off Gondolier and the skier’s left had the same great conditions, or you could go to the right side if you wanted midwinter snow, but there was never anything beyond the typical midwinter scratchiness.  I purposely didn’t take any of my group near Nosedive because I heard it was nasty (and I figured why go near the terrain that hadn’t softened), but clearly it was a different world.  I did hear that some race training was actually canceled in the morning because of the conditions, which I guess is saying something when they deem things dangerous for the racers.  In my Stowe trip report from yesterday, I even remarked that I didn’t find yesterday’s conditions all that different from Saturday at Bolton or what we found at Stowe last weekend.

Apparently aspect was huge yesterday though, because although it wasn’t quite spring down at Spruce, it was a pretty gorgeous midwinter day:

28JAN18A.jpg

As nice as it was, that’s not really typical January skiing though, so I still say we should just get back to reality with a bunch of snowfall.

5 hours ago, Dan76 said:

A Friend goes to steamboat every year took this pic FRI probably will only be allowed to ski 1 day on the ikon at those prices 

IMG_4732.jpeg

160$ a day is pretty insane!!! I get that operation costs there are high but that seems excessive. A resort like that is making a ton off lodging and amenities too as it’s off the beaten track.

3 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

160$ a day is pretty insane!!! I get that operation costs there are high but that seems excessive. A resort like that is making a ton off lodging and amenities too as it’s off the beaten track.

I was a ski bum at Steamboat for part of the winter of '91'-92.  I washed dishes at the mid mountain restaurant at the top of the gondola (Hazie's)   My take-home for a week (four 6-hour shifts) was about $160.

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I am glad I went to Smuggs on Friday that is for sure. I heard Rumrunner described as a "boilerplate" there at the end of this past weekend.

34 minutes ago, Brewbeer said:

I was a ski bum at Steamboat for part of the winter of '91'-92.  I washed dishes at the mid mountain restaurant at the top of the gondola (Hazie's)   My take-home for a week (four 6-hour shifts) was about $160.

Nice, that must have been pretty sweet! They are in trouble if the troff access sets up to their east as it appears likely for febraury. They have had pretty brutal season so far

I was thinking / dreaming about heading out west to ski during my schools spring break (3/30-4/8).  I was hoping to hold out until March to book it figuring that there wouldn't be too many people planing April ski vacations.  It looks like BC or Montana might be the best bet right now.  I can't believe how crappy the southern Rocky's are right now, especially Taos.  

20 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That is 6 days at Smuggs and a prohibition ale at the bar for me. 

23 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Ive got in 8 days so far this year and have yet to spend more than  $60 for a lift ticket.

Hunter on black Friday - $40

Mt. Snow day after Xmas - ski club discount $52

Ski Windham - January ?  Free ticket with Warren Miller Movie promo

Killington - 1/20 ski club discount - $52

Total - 4 days - $146..........$160 at Steamboat????  Sure, if I got 10 thigh deep powder runs.  Some of the prices are getting crazy...Killington $115, Stowe is like $135, Vail $190!!!  Insane!

1 hour ago, snowgeek said:

Hunter on black Friday - $40

Mt. Snow day after Xmas - ski club discount $52

Ski Windham - January ?  Free ticket with Warren Miller Movie promo

Killington - 1/20 ski club discount - $52

Total - 4 days - $146..........$160 at Steamboat????  Sure, if I got 10 thigh deep powder runs.  Some of the prices are getting crazy...Killington $115, Stowe is like $135, Vail $190!!!  Insane!

My Snow on my birthday 11/12 $52.99

Mt Snow 11/24 $57.99

Berkshire East 1/1 $41.99

Sundown $36.00

Otis Ridge $15.00

Otis Ridge  $18.00

Catamount $20.00

Berkshire East 1/26 $38.99

Archived