Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Season 2017

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

On the GFS Jose is 5 degrees south and east from being Fujiwharaed up into the East Coast if my math is still sharp, ain't happening but wow that is close.

You intrigue me. Is this math more a rule of thumb, or do you have a scholarly paper about fujiwaras I could check out. Amazed to have two borderline cat 5s in the basin at the same time.  

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A comment: I follow the New England board fairly closely. I appreciate the insight and analysis from the mets as well as the knowledgeable amateurs year round. I don't post ( on occasion, observations since I am on the ocean ) but would not think about other posting because I don't believe I "add". For the first time , I have been following the tropical section because of Irma. And I am shocked at the number of posters who appear to think nothing of posting some of the most stupid questions and declarative ( and flat out wrong) observations. Just want to thank everyone on the NE board for the level of discourse and look forward to being back

20 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

The outer circulation of Jose has now reached Barbuda, and its 150 mph winds are heading in that direction.  I certainly hope those people have been evacuated after Irma practically destroyed the island.  There won't be many structures left to hide out in.

I read somewhere that they're trying to get everyone off the island before Jose comes in.

Ugh, getting a really bad feeling about my grandma/great uncle's places on Siesta Key. Her condo is fifth floor facing the beach; would have to expect window failures at the least; his house is just off the beach and may be below sea level. Any significant surge and adios house. Both evacuated thankfully.

29 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Ugh, getting a really bad feeling about my grandma/great uncle's places on Siesta Key. Her condo is fifth floor facing the beach; would have to expect window failures at the least; his house is just off the beach and may be below sea level. Any significant surge and adios house. Both evacuated thankfully.

How'd they do during Charley? 

10 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

She's making a charge at Cuba. The mountains will tear her apart. Awesome for FL. However, I'm sure Cuba never saw this coming. I know tracks wobble, I guess we will see if it's a wobble.

What mountains? That whole northern coast is basically reefs and low-lying cays. I don't it will have any significant impact on Irma's strength.

You know… This is going to be weird to say but truth be told it's almost better for this thing to actually hit Florida at this point  

Here's why: psychological conditioning… The next time a category two hurricane is coming right at Florida no one's gonna believe it and that one will kill about 800 people or something

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

You know… This is going to be weird to say but truth be told it's almost better for this thing to actually hit Florida at this point  

Here's why: psychological conditioning… The next time a category two hurricane is coming right at Florida no one's gonna believe it and that one will kill about 800 people or something

I'm actually surprised that didn't happen here, given all the dire predictions about Matthew that didn't quite pan out last year.

45 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Surprisingly well. A little wind damage in the area, but little else. I suspect that if Charley had been the size of Irma, and had been at its landfall intensity longer, the result might have been different.

At least the wind will be offshore until the eye passes. The land friction between Cuba and the FL coast should help to weaken it until the winds turn onshore.

32 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

This is going over Cuba. 

I bet Cat 2-3 tops when it hits US. I can already envision the news tomorrow declaring it a miracle. 

Mmm and there were ensemble members that kept it over Cuba for a long while and if that happens it ain't gonna be no category 2 or 3

1 minute ago, Hoth said:

I heard, but saw no visual evidence myself, that there were debarked trees on Barbuda. Can anyone confirm? There was mention of that happening in the 1780 hurricane, but I always discounted it as probably apocryphal considering it usually takes EF5 wind to do so.

It looked like it from the pictures I saw today.

Archived