Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It's interesting that I don't think there is a single gypsy north of Springfield yet they extend much further north than that in C MA.

Yeah, I've seen few if any in Amherst, and 20 min SE, 300' up is absolutely crushed.   Winter 14/15 has nothing on that gradient.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, dendrite said:

It's a cloudy, cool start up here too with rain approaching. It wouldn't surprise me if I get wedged in most/all of the day.

the very most recent MOS numbers did come in cooler ... like 79 to 81 or 82... Checking in on this we have made the mid 70s across much of SNE.  The warm front is sort of diffuse at this end... but, NYC is up over 80 with DP entering the 60s...  CT is cleared out on sat and HFD just popped 81 too so... I guess they'll end up okay with that.  

I thought the wfront was scheduled for later but oh well - 

18 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

the very most recent MOS numbers did come in cooler ... like 79 to 81 or 82... Checking in on this we have made the mid 70s across much of SNE.  The warm front is sort of diffuse at this end... but, NYC is up over 80 with DP entering the 60s...  CT is cleared out on sat and HFD just popped 81 too so... I guess they'll end up okay with that.  

Actually lots of low clouds here in Ct, temp dropped here at work on the cP from 80 to 76 with strong south wind off the sound

GOES17472017180wPtFBa.jpg

26 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

63F and pouring up here now. Dead ratter confirmed.

4 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

No one asked but ... I just hate lack of excitement, period. 

I can take a few days of serene conditions.   But, last summer and last winter... talking basically 9 straight months of calendar year was shockingly devoid of exciting events.  

anyway, all that babble aside, we test nature at the extremes.  There is a reason humans seek drama in nature - it actually (in a great deal of making sense) taps into the same reasons humans are inherently explorers.   What comes next -  ...without the extremes, what's-the-point becomes almost biological.  interesting

Longer than that for my area.  There was almost nothing of note here from 3/1/15 thru 12/28/16 - the 21" on 29-30 ended the ennui.  The only uncommonalities (is that a word?) were two days with 40s max in June 2015, the ludicrously mild Dec that year, and the first Jan thunder I'd heard (during a major torch-deluge - ugh!) since 1978.  None of those are the types of records I'd want to see again.  Even the record cold of Feb. 2015 was sort of a stealth job, though it's Farmington's coldest Feb in 125 years' record, by nearly 2F, and vies with Dec '89 for greatest departure of any month, AN or BN.  However, the record was set by unbroken cold (I had about 4 hr all month when temp made it into the 30s) rather than extreme polar chill.  My coldest morning was -25, which is 5th lowest in Feb, beaten in 09, 08, and twice in 03.  Farmington set just one daily record for cold (low min, low max. low mean) that month, lowest max on the 25th with 12F.  (And the only milder low-max mark is on the 29th, with 1/4 the competition.)

Totally agree concerning the extremes.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Take wetbulb temp of 94/75?

IDK man but i would take weeks like this all summer, great days, a great Tstorm, windows wide open, AC has been off since Saturday, will go back on tonight for the warm weekend ahead then back to cooler and less humid weather, rinse repeat, everybody happy , happy, happy

2 hours ago, bobbutts said:

Yeah, it is possible that the drive is partially working.. If that fails you can try some tricks like freezing it or other crazy stuff.  I've had it go either way from this point, almost complete recovery to total loss.  The worst was many years ago I ripped tons of netflix (dvd by mail) movies to a double HDD external enclosure.  The fan on the enclosure died and by the time I noticed the problem it was hot enough to fry an egg on.  There was actually a bunch of recoverable parts of the data on that, but I ended up tossing the thing in the trash.

Oh boy...came home, discnne ted the drive and then reconnected it. Powered it up and just got dual diagnostic codes. Not sure was 3 and 4 is, but I'm pretty sure 1 and 4 is motherboard failure. This thing is probably ready for the trash heap. 12 years as a wx comp...not bad.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Oh boy...came home, discnne ted the drive and then reconnected it. Powered it up and just got dual diagnostic codes. Not sure was 3 and 4 is, but I'm pretty sure 1 and 4 is motherboard failure. This thing is probably ready for the trash heap. 12 years as a wx comp...not bad.

might be good news?  A 12yr old mobo can be replaced for pittance and perhaps your HDD is still good enough to retrieve the data which cannot be replaced

59 minutes ago, radarman said:

For all the caterpillar destruction, one thing I've noticed is a decided and most welcome lack of mosquitoes so far.  Furiously knocking on wood here.

After developing some mid life sting allergies I'm not a real big fan of yellow jackets but I have not seen a single one anywhere in Franklin County this year,  nor has anyone I have spoken with.  

Bizzarre, I wonder if it is a localized colony die off? 

23 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I've been wondering about that all spring. Haven't seen them anywhere down here.

Plenty of them around here.  Our dog is not impressed.  She's a mixed breed rescue from TX (arrived in Feb, quickly learned to like snow), and maybe came from the dry side of the state where the skeeters a re scarce.

13 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Plenty of them around here.  Our dog is not impressed.  She's a mixed breed rescue from TX (arrived in Feb, quickly learned to like snow), and maybe came from the dry side of the state where the skeeters a re scarce.

Thank you for rescuing!!!

Archived