Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

32 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Plenty of them around here.  Our dog is not impressed.  She's a mixed breed rescue from TX (arrived in Feb, quickly learned to like snow), and maybe came from the dry side of the state where the skeeters a re scarce.

I'm not surprised up there. Have had remarkably few bugs down here, although I did just have my first tick crawling on me yesterday. Gross creatures.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, radarman said:

might be good news?  A 12yr old mobo can be replaced for pittance and perhaps your HDD is still good enough to retrieve the data which cannot be replaced

Yeah I'm on the fence. My first error before this was a "SATA primary hard disk drive 0 failure". I'm not sure if I'd possibly get that with a failing mb? I was just getting that error until I removed the heat sink to peek at the processor. Then came those alternating diagnostic codes. Apparently this is what they are...

3&4: Memory subsystem configuration activity is in progress. Appropriate memory modules were detected but a memory failure has occurred.

1&4: Fatal system board failure detected.

i'll look for a 3.5" SATA adapter and see if I can access the drive. I'll get my files and then see well it runs. If all i need is a mobo then maybe i'll just go that route.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What a couple months and particularly June for wetness... it is just pouring outside after steady lighter rain since noon. 

It just keeps raining.  This is good for steady quarter inch per hour type stuff now.

June_29_zpsugk28rob.gifer

That's too much man lol. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

That's too much man lol. 

It's like immediate ponds in front yards type water levels now.  

Mountain bike trails are trashed with many closed, hiking trails are mud pits, it's definitely on the annoying side at this point.  

Hoping the convection the next couple days can spare us.  Not to mention it's been a slow start business wise at the resort.  The poor tourists are getting skunked...like going to the Cape and getting rain everyday.  

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Mountain bike trails are trashed with many closed, hiking trails are mud pits, it's definitely on the annoying side at this point.  

Hoping the convection the next couple days can spare us.  Not to mention it's been a slow start business wise at the resort.  The poor tourists are getting skunked...like going to the Cape and getting rain everyday.  

You gotta get out of there. . Summers are just awful there. So so glad we aren't they

56 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I've seen jackets around here. Though you usually don't see many of them until Aug and September when they terrorize folks. So not shocking folks haven't seen many. I got popped in the hand by a white faced hornet last weekend doing the weekly bush trimming . There's a nest in one of my azaleas 

some folk do that everyday -

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

What a couple months and particularly June for wetness... it is just pouring outside after steady lighter rain since noon. 

It just keeps raining.  This is good for steady quarter inch per hour type stuff now.

June_29_zpsugk28rob.gifer

What you are experiencing, right now ... is what happens to us here in April all the time...  You guys will even bust out as it gets over the top before the tuck relents down this way... It's not the same synopsis - no, but the feeling of inescapable imprisonment in gloom is identical. 

now you know SNE April pain -

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Yeah I'm on the fence. My first error before this was a "SATA primary hard disk drive 0 failure". I'm not sure if I'd possibly get that with a failing mb? I was just getting that error until I removed the heat sink to peek at the processor. Then came those alternating diagnostic codes. Apparently this is what they are...

3&4: Memory subsystem configuration activity is in progress. Appropriate memory modules were detected but a memory failure has occurred.

1&4: Fatal system board failure detected.

i'll look for a 3.5" SATA adapter and see if I can access the drive. I'll get my files and then see well it runs. If all i need is a mobo then maybe i'll just go that route.

2017 is knocking on your door, spend it

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

And I actually wouldn't mind some rain lol. Everything is so green, hope it doesn't dry up. It's been a week or so. But I also would like roots to grow deep too I guess. 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You gotta get out of there. . Summers are just awful there. So so glad we aren't they

Yeah definitely be glad you don't live here.  Precipitates at least excuse imaginable.  Damn mountains wringing out all available moisture.

I just passed 0.8" on the day in the stratus gauge.

55 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

What you are experiencing, right now ... is what happens to us here in April all the time...  You guys will even bust out as it gets over the top before the tuck relents down this way... It's not the same synopsis - no, but the feeling of inescapable imprisonment in gloom is identical. 

now you know SNE April pain -

We get plenty of spring pain...don't fool yourself ;).

Eastern slopes here are often the border between the mank and nice weather that often finds its way into BTV-land.  The Spine of the Greens down to the Berks/Taconics is often the border line, while BTV to ALB is enjoying sunny and 60s/70s its in the 40s/50s east of the crest.  We're usually right in the middle of BTV's glory and Dendrite's sh*tshow (like 45F dendrite, 55F here and 65F west of the Spine).

Then there are the W/NW flow days when its 48F with occasional orographic cellular squalls/showers and graupel at elevation up here, while SNE is 60s/70s with clouds disappearing as soon as the terrain drops off.

30 minutes ago, Philadelphia Snow said:

im going to be traveling up to Stowe VT tomorrow. Hope it doesn't rain.

It'll definitely rain over the next 48-72 hours, the question is how much.  This type of warm then cold frontal systems can be hit or miss regarding the warm sector rains/convection tomorrow afternoon through Saturday morning, but I think we see a solid rain band with the cold frontal passage. 

This is one heck of a firehose of moisture and WAA along the warm front tonight.  Higher dews to the south with warmer moist air advecting north...into a cooler anomaly...means efficient rains.

Radar just went down anyway.

Jan_29_9pm_zps9kchzh19.gif

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I've seen jackets around here. Though you usually don't see many of them until Aug and September when they terrorize folks. So not shocking folks haven't seen many. I got popped in the hand by a white faced hornet last weekend doing the weekly bush trimming . There's a nest in one of my azaleas 

Yup.  Yellowjackets seem to favor the end of summer from my experience.  I killed a small white faced nest yesterday on a light fixture.  Those can get big in a hurry

Mosquitoes have been pretty noticeable here, but nothing terrible.

We did find a bunch of gypsy moth caterpillars on one of our oaks today, but a bunch had been hit by the fungus and were doing the v thing, thank goodness. Some of them were huge.

no deer flies yet, but they should be here soon

Turning into an impressive synoptic rain event given the totals that have come from not thunderous rains, ha.

Still absolutely pouring out here.

june_29_1115pm.thumb.jpg.2487ddc13aa0ff75e080eee07d58ce4a.jpg

Phone just freaked out with flash flood warning...gotta turn that off.  Not that worried.  But its raining hard.  Just let dog out and with flashlight looks like ~1.75" out there and still moderate to heavy rain.

2 minutes ago, Philadelphia Snow said:

Why is flash flood warning EAS? STW doesn't make you phone go off. I always hated that. Also I was hiking on the long trail during a flash flood warning 2 years ago. That was fun. The trail turned into a small stream.

1. Alerts issued by the President
  2. Alerts involving imminent threats to safety or life
  3. Amber Alerts

Archived