Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May 2017 Observations & Discussions Thread

bluewave

1 hour ago, Eduardo said:

Didn't we have a few exceptionally raw days in early June though?  For some reason, I remember high temps not getting out of the 40s for a day.

28 minutes ago, Morris said:

I found it super quickly and my memory isn't too bad.

That may have been the only time that the monthly low June temperature of 52 degrees came at 2:51 in the afternoon.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KNYC/2016/6/8/DailyHistory.html?req_city=&req_state=&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Potential for some temperature departures early next week to approach -10 around the area. Monday into Tuesday looks chilly for this time of year with the last chance this spring for interior portions of the northeast to see a freeze. If the winds can go calm, then the isolated Pine Barrens locations closer to the area could also make a last run on freezing.

NEW YORK CITY-CENTRAL PARK
 KNYC   GFSX MOS GUIDANCE   5/06/2017  0000 UTC                       
 FHR  24| 36  48| 60  72| 84  96|108 120|132 144|156 168|180 192      
 SAT  06| SUN 07| MON 08| TUE 09| WED 10| THU 11| FRI 12| SAT 13 CLIMO
 X/N  66| 50  63| 43  57| 44  59| 48  63| 51  69| 52  67| 52  64 51 70

On 5/4/2017 at 10:49 PM, BombsAway1288 said:

Honestly, you should just move out of the NE. I know it's easier said than done or just impossible but judging by your posting history, you seem like like you don't enjoy any temperatures below 60. 30's for May is rare but it looks like it's coming. Spring weather can be very flaky in the NE and especially LI. You don't get any regular warmth, day or night, until like mid June out on the Island due to 80% of it being surrounded by cold water. 

I'm fine from April through October, temps below 60 don't bother me, temps below 40 are a different story though. I do want to leave NY eventually, something south of VA would be ideal for me. But in the meantime, all I want right now is blue dome skies and May-like temps. It's in the low 60's and sunny in Manhattan right now, this is enjoyable.

7 hours ago, bluewave said:

Long Island won the dry slot clearing sweepstakes today while western areas stayed socked in. The clearing line was really dramatic looking when it came through this morning.

g13.2017126.1445_BWI_vis.jpg.6b5984435e3fd42af84aea7e164d7910.jpg

Out here the sun came out around 9am.

9 hours ago, Morris said:

Just looked at the 12z Euro. It has 10 consecutive days of BN.

It looks like most stations will have negative departures on the month by the 17-18th before the pattern tries to warm up around the 19-20th. This -AO/-NAO was the real deal for cool and the big storm on Friday. Too bad we couldn't get this blocking for the March storm that gave the interior the best snows.

Next 8 days are about -5degs. (56 vs. 61).   The next 5-day period which could average AN is centered around the 23rd.     A long AN spell may begin then, and cancel out the first 3 weeks of the month, since the next 45 look to be near normal.

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

It looks like most stations will have negative departures on the month by the 17-18th before the pattern tries to warm up around the 19-20th. This -AO/-NAO was the real deal for cool and the big storm on Friday. Too bad we couldn't get this blocking for the March storm that gave the interior the best snows.

Did yesterday's 12z and the 00z Euro still have a storm late week/next weekend? Looks like the GFS lost that idea (for now) and basically slides the precip. to our south but that is not uncommon for the GFS at this range.

18 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The AO is forecasted to rebound so suppression doesn't really make sense.

Not sure I buy the suppression, have to see if it trends further north over the next couple of days and I think it will. God, I feel like we are talking about a winter storm here, it is May right??

2 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

Did yesterday's 12z and the 00z Euro still have a storm late week/next weekend? Looks like the GFS lost that idea (for now) and basically slides the precip. to our south but that is not uncommon for the GFS at this range.

The EPS is continuing with our next storm potential for next weekend. We'll see what things look like when get within the more reliable 120 hr range for storm details.

eps_slp_lows_ma_29.thumb.png.01c8dfd5764f86c6dd8aecb44f28d902.png

Archived