Newest Member
    joxey
Son of April Fool's Birch Bender

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I remain gung-ho...still like 8-16" here, and 6-12" for KBOS...may not budge from first call.

If the NAM's QPF verified... you'd probably half to be snowing 3:1 to get that those totals out of 3" of water   :)

...OT but... the 200 to 240 hour 18Z GFS has a hyper bomb

47 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

GFS big cut back in precip for the North country

Not at all...its pretty close to 12z in precip.  It cut back in the Mohawk Valley but at least in BTV's CWA toggling between the 12z and 18z there was very little change.  BTV didn't change at all on that run.

It looks like the Hudson Valley from ALB to GFL and the CT River Valley from BDL to VSF decreased the most pronounced but it increased moisture in NE VT through NH and ME.

In these dynamic fall or spring systems, models can only do so much. They will get the track and redevelopment and hint at where the warm layers lick, but once the fuel kicks in....the shuttle takes off....those on the southern edge esp in elevated terrain in nw and ne ct plus points north will flash over and pile it up. You can look at a snow map up there and meh your 1-3" but no computer simulation can pinpoint every single physics detail like what may transpire, too much back n forth on the soundings Ive looked at for stuff to be that easy to nail. 

Should be a fun day up north, it will enjoy the fight ringside.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I remain gung-ho...still like 8-16" here, and 6-12" for KBOS...may not budge from first call.

I agree with your totals there.  I like an axis from central VT to central/southern NH to northern and eastern Mass for best snows.  Eastern Mass may be the winner in Essex/Middlesex/N.ORH counties.

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

FB from DT, and some people at work lol

Cant wait to own b*tches.

DT just hates when New England gets snow ;).

These are the events and set-ups you've been touting on the boards since early Easternwx...late season, low SSTs, and easterly flow bringing the moisture, if there is a time for NE Mass to shine its in these set-ups.  You have always been saying that late season is when the marginal events can go big even on the coastal plain of eastern Mass.  You also have a SWFE appeal where the last place mid-level warmth will reach in SNE is NE Mass as that southwest flow aloft pushes it from SW to NE.

Plenty of positives for NE Mass back to the ORH Hills...and plenty of case studies showing how it can work out. 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

DT just hates when New England gets snow ;).

These are the events and set-ups you've been touting on the boards since early Easternwx...late season, low SSTs, and easterly flow bringing the moisture, if there is a time for NE Mass to shine its in these set-ups.  You also have a SWFE appeal where the last place mid-level warmth will reach in SNE is NE Mass as that southwest flow aloft pushes it from SW to NE.

Plenty of positives for NE Mass back to the ORH Hills...and plenty of case studies showing how it can work out.

Oh, man...+100.

Great post...I'm almost aroused.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Oh, man...+100.

Great post...I'm almost aroused.

Ha, I feel like this is one of those set-ups you and Will have discussed for years, which is why I personally am pretty bullish there.  From reading you guys talk about why late-season events are good in that zone.  Climo agrees, more than other SNE areas (no hate to other regions, just going by the past events that can blast the NE coastal plain there almost as well as the hills).

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, I feel like this is one of those set-ups you and Will have discussed for years, which is why I personally am pretty bullish there.  From reading you guys talk about why late-season events are good in that zone.  Climo agrees, more than other SNE areas (no hate to other regions, just going by the past events that can blast the NE coastal plain there almost as well as the hills).

The reason why ne Mass does will in these late season events is because of a combination of lower ssts, latitude and the lack of a downslope element, which is absolutely fatal in late season events.

43 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Not at all...its pretty close to 12z in precip.  It cut back in the Mohawk Valley but at least in BTV's CWA toggling between the 12z and 18z there was very little change.  BTV didn't change at all on that run.

It looks like the Hudson Valley from ALB to GFL and the CT River Valley from BDL to VSF decreased the most pronounced but it increased moisture in NE VT through NH and ME.

GFL was 2 inches at 12z

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The reason why ne Mass does will in these late season events is because of a combination of lower ssts, latitude and the lack of a downslope element, which is absolutely fatal in late season events.

I feel like this is a bit more longitudinal than usual. The stereotypical event is high elevation and NE MA, but it's possible high spots of CT lose out to coastal Essex county. That's definitely a little more unusual I think. However the benefits of NE MA still are valid.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I feel like this is a bit more longitudinal than usual. The stereotypical event is high elevation and NE MA, but it's possible high spots of CT lose out to coastal Essex county. That's definitely a little more unusual I think. However the benefits of NE MA still are valid.

Yes, as PF said, there is a bit of a SWFE element here bc the mid levels wash out and redevelop late....not disputing that, just didn't highlight it.

Archived