Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

The biggest difference this run is the enhanced digging of the SS. It allows for more STJ energy to get out on front of the main trough.

nam_z500_vort_us_fh42_trend.thumb.gif.76e86bb642adb35b245327ccda5e0596.gif

This is what we want. A stronger more dynamic system will overcome some warmer air aloft, regardless of the track.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WintersGrasp said:

Many went from 12-24" on 6z to 6-12" on 12z. However, the 6z seemed immensely overdone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The 6z matched most guidance from oz last night what's your reasoning it was over done. Anyway with these mesos you will see a lot of jumping around of the best dynamics run to run that is more of a now cast thing

3 minutes ago, WintersGrasp said:

Many went from 12-24" on 6z to 6-12" on 12z. However, the 6z seemed immensely overdone. Will be interesting to see the other NAMs pick up the banding as we get closer to start time

Looks like last nights gfs. Solid hit but nothing heavy and a fast mover

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

Nam is clearly trending towards the Euro and GGEM, I wouldn't be surprised if the 18z run showed a massive increase in amounts. 

The track was perfect I just don't understand why we didn't get more precip out of it. It was a stronger system than the 6z... mets care to elaborate?

Dont obsess with QPF guys!!! Please please please.....

Best snowfall rates fall when the storms in the process of strengthening, NOT when it reaches it full potential... 

our LP drops from 995 to 982 as it pulls NE Right through our backyard, with screaming dynamics and a closed ULL... the firehose will be on, don't worry about what the surface maps are spitting at you... mid levels are excellent 

The second frame of this GIF tells you all you need to know as to why the system was going to be east. It was apparent maybe 2 or 3 frames before that.

The axis of the trough is much less negatively tilted as opposed to 6z so it doesn't turn the corner as quickly

Personally, I think that the NAM runs were good. All four NAM runs increased the strength of their LPs due to a deeper trough and a better phasing of the STJ energy.

32km went from 1002 to 995 at hr 45, 12km from 1002 to 995, 4km from 994 to 986, and 3km from 994 to 988. All of these changes result in a more dynamic system, so don't stress QPF. Also, I would lean on the higher resolution versions of the NAM, as they will see banding features and other dynamic features better.  

29 minutes ago, WintersGrasp said:

The 6z 12k NAM simply could not get any better for NE NJ (2 feet+ lol)..I'm just hoping it shows something remotely similar to that. The same goes for the big 12z runs coming up for euro, UK, and even GFS...besides the GFS, the 00z runs were perfect. Hold serve!!

It's the NAM. Chances are very high that the QPF is overdone.

Yeah, it really is all about the banding. We'll see wild swings on the NAM models. Funny how the 12km NAM and the 4km/3km NAMs have been switching it up. One shows a ton of snow, the other two don't, then the two show a ton of snow and the other one doesn't. All things considered, the NWS really did make a good call putting out the 12-18" watch well ahead of time.

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

The nam is .75-1"

Ok thanks... see I see a big problem with that output since the dynamics were much much beget this run, plus a stronger LP by several MB, also the mid levels were much better and also better interaction!! I would put more stock in the PARA seems more accurate with those above improvements!

Archived