Newest Member
    joxey
March Banter Thread

North Balti Zen

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I am not one to pay much attention to snow maps, but the 850s and surface are colder this run, yet snowfall for mby is about the same or a tad worse on TT. I will have to go on weatherbell and check 700 and 925 mb temps.

I keep forgetting that you are fighting the temps.

Just now, showmethesnow said:

I keep forgetting that you are fighting the temps.

Its going to be a battle here. But surface is 32-34 and 850 0c line stays south of me this run per TT. Low track is much better for here. QPF is fine, so kinda weird no increase in snow accum.

Interesting. No issues this run from 850 mb on up for mby. There is a 6 hr period where depicted surface temp is 34-35, and even tho rates appear to be good at that time, its apparently rain. At 12z, 850s went above freezing for a time, surface was maybe a degree cooler and the snow clown map was better here. Never really analyzed it before but when working with a razor thin margin I had a reason to lol, and its interesting to kind of verify that these snow maps are not to be taken literally.

5 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Interesting. No issues this run from 850 mb on up for mby. There is a 6 hr period where depicted surface temp is 34-35, and even tho rates appear to be good at that time, its apparently rain. At 12z, 850s went above freezing for a time, surface was maybe a degree cooler and the snow clown map was better here. Never really analyzed it before but when working with a razor thin margin I had a reason to lol, and its interesting to kind of verify that these snow maps are not to be taken literally.

I remember those days of riding the rain/snow line. And it sucked. Now where I live I am not so much concerned about that as of getting fringed with much lighter qpf. Doesn't help that I also have a shadowing effect from the hills around me that mimic somewhat Frederick. I guess we all have our different crosses to bear when it comes to getting snow.

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

I remember those days of riding the rain/snow line. And it sucked. Now where I live I am not so much concerned about that as of getting fringed with much lighter qpf. Doesn't help that I also have a shadowing effect from the hills around me that mimic somewhat Frederick. I guess we all have our different crosses to bear when it comes to getting snow.

Yup. Thus why I liked this weekends threat that just didn't work out. Colder air-mass, blocking, 50-50 low... much more conducive to getting a snow event here than a big coastal with marginal cold.

2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

I wonder why Eskimo Joe is back after that embarrassing meltdown over the NAM?  He said we were done...shouldn't he have signed off by now?

Some people are tripolar on here. The ones on here who only want 12-18" have to know how goofy they look

Let me start this by saying I don't want this to be a debate of WSW, etc...it doesn't make a difference in terms of the storm, but I'm curious why offices north of here where the storm would be later issued one.  Are they too early or is LWX late.  Just seems odd.  I think it's a little early myself.  

1 minute ago, stormtracker said:

Let me start this by saying I don't want this to be a debate of WSW, etc...it doesn't make a difference in terms of the storm, but I'm curious why offices north of here where the storm would be later issued one.  Are they too early or is LWX late.  Just seems odd.  I think it's a little early myself.  

I think they're early honestly. Also way too early for including the amounts in their blizzard watches. 

I think LWX is being reasonable with their plan of tonight and warnings tomorrow/night if warranted. 

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

I think they're early honestly. Also way too early for including the amounts in their blizzard watches. 

I think LWX is being reasonable with their plan of tonight and warnings tomorrow/night if warranted. 

Strongly agree... I could understand the Philly office, but almost all of the SNE offices went ahead and issued WSWs or BWs... which is way early to me.  I thought the rule was 48 hrs in advance?

6 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Yeah, I saw that and was a bit surprised at how fast and early they went up.  Basically Philly north has issued watches (even blizzard watches up toward Boston).  Then again, isn't the time window for issuing a winter storm/blizzard watch upwards of 72 hours in advance, depending on confidence of the event?  When did LWX issue the blizzard watch here last January, I think that was close to 3 days out?  Of course, that was a very high confidence storm relatively speaking.  Someone mentioned LWX did state in their discussion that they'll likely issue watches later tonight; I'd guess a later time due to more uncertainty here compared to Philly up to New England.

5 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Shouldn't this be in the main thread?

4 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Seems early. Tomorrow evening is fine. Folks won't pay much mind until Monday anyway.

LWX will be skittish on this one, though. Some of them are posting here and you can see it already. There will be a ton of caveats about mixing keeping totals way down. Local stations will be even worse. Some may say plain rain "at the the height of the storm."

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic

Archived