Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Was thinking of something since we've been doing this in class.  Is it technically "incorrect" to say like heights are increasing when you have ridging building in since thicknesses are mathematically a negative number? 

Perhaps if you restructured this bold question differently I could help you - or not.  ...I don't speak for everyone that reads this but it's written so poorly that my eyes are crossed and my nose is running...

No idea wtf you're talking about -

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Perhaps if you restructured this bold question differently I could help you - or not.  ...I don't speak for everyone that reads this but it's written so poorly that my eyes are crossed and my nose is running...

No idea wtf you're talking about -

so mathematically thicknesses are a negative number (so 586 heights vs. 476 heights, 476 heights are technically a higher...or a more positive number).  

So when we say heights are increasing (for example, in the summer when ridging is building in) technically that wouldn't be a correct statement since its more mathematically negative numbers building in?  

NOUS41 KWBC 271218

PNSWSH

Public Information Statement 17-18

National Weather Service Headquarters Washington DC

1218 PM EDT Thu Apr 27 2017

TO:      Subscribers:

-NOAA Weather Wire Service

-Emergency Managers Weather Information Network

-NOAAPORT

Other NWS Partners and NWS Employees

Severe, Fire, Public, and Winter Weather 

Services Branch

SUBJECT: Change of Heat Advisory thresholds for New England

Effective immediately

Effective immediately, five NWS offices (Caribou, ME; Gray, ME;

Burlington, VT; Taunton, MA and Upton, NY), in collaboration

with the Northeast Regional Heat Collaborative, have lowered

Heat Advisory criteria for all of New England for the coming

summer season.

Studies and research conducted by the collaborative show that

emergency department visits and deaths from heat increase

significantly on days when the heat index reaches 95 degrees

Fahrenheit or higher.

Thus, the old threshold of 100-104 degrees Fahrenheit for two or

more consecutive hours has been lowered to 95-99 degrees

Fahrenheit occurring for two or more consecutive days, or any

duration of heat index 100-104 degrees Fahrenheit.

Excessive Heat Warning criteria (heat index 105 degrees

Fahrenheit or higher for two or more hours) remains unchanged.

It is expected that this change will alert people sooner to

impending heat threats and if acted upon, reduce the number of

emergency department visits.

No communication changes are required to continue to receive

heat advisory/warning products. Only the triggering threshold

for heat advisories has been changed.

If you have questions, please contact:

Rick Watling

NWS Eastern Region Headquarters

Bohemia, NY 11716-2618

[email protected]

631-244-0123

National NWS Public Information Statements are online at:

http://www.weather.gov/os/notif.htm

NNNN

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

so mathematically thicknesses are a negative number (so 586 heights vs. 476 heights, 476 heights are technically a higher...or a more positive number).  

So when we say heights are increasing (for example, in the summer when ridging is building in) technically that wouldn't be a correct statement since its more mathematically negative numbers building in?  

okay ... I'm still not sure I understand where the bold is coming from.  The units on heights and thicknesses are the same, meters ...usually reported in 10-meter intervals (deca).  540 decameters is thus 5,400 meters of altitude.

The reason heights are typically higher than thickness is a mathematical one.  Height is the geometric altitude at a given level of theta.   Thickness is the difference in two theta levels.  Therefore, that differential does not allow the thickness to ever equal the geometrical height (which you should think about as potential energy ... you're integrating 1/gravity, between 0 and altitude)  

1 hour ago, Dan said:

NOUS41 KWBC 271218

PNSWSH

Public Information Statement 17-18

National Weather Service Headquarters Washington DC

1218 PM EDT Thu Apr 27 2017

TO:      Subscribers:

-NOAA Weather Wire Service

-Emergency Managers Weather Information Network

-NOAAPORT

Other NWS Partners and NWS Employees

Severe, Fire, Public, and Winter Weather 

Services Branch

SUBJECT: Change of Heat Advisory thresholds for New England

Effective immediately

Effective immediately, five NWS offices (Caribou, ME; Gray, ME;

Burlington, VT; Taunton, MA and Upton, NY), in collaboration

with the Northeast Regional Heat Collaborative, have lowered

Heat Advisory criteria for all of New England for the coming

summer season.

Studies and research conducted by the collaborative show that

emergency department visits and deaths from heat increase

significantly on days when the heat index reaches 95 degrees

Fahrenheit or higher.

Thus, the old threshold of 100-104 degrees Fahrenheit for two or

more consecutive hours has been lowered to 95-99 degrees

Fahrenheit occurring for two or more consecutive days, or any

duration of heat index 100-104 degrees Fahrenheit.

Excessive Heat Warning criteria (heat index 105 degrees

Fahrenheit or higher for two or more hours) remains unchanged.

It is expected that this change will alert people sooner to

impending heat threats and if acted upon, reduce the number of

emergency department visits.

No communication changes are required to continue to receive

heat advisory/warning products. Only the triggering threshold

for heat advisories has been changed.

If you have questions, please contact:

Rick Watling

NWS Eastern Region Headquarters

Bohemia, NY 11716-2618

[email protected]

631-244-0123

National NWS Public Information Statements are online at:

http://www.weather.gov/os/notif.htm

NNNN

That makes more sense. I always felt the criteria was way too high.  I had a good chuckle at the "Northeast Regional Heat Collaborative." 

The only thing I hate about this is that the public isn't very good at discerning between a heat advisory and excessive heat warning. The excessive heat warning is now going to be quite a bit worse than an advisory with the new threshold, so people may become a bit numb to a heat advisory after a while and then sort of ignore the excessive heat warning (mistakenly thinking it the same as an advisory)....when the warning really warrants some big caution when outdoors.

I suppose people will learn after a while though.

it's just my opinion but, I suspect it all is simply a matter of acclimation

This above as actionable/researched footed, it's all really coming down to the fact that 100 HI's from HFD-PSM are not frequent enough (to date) around here that denizens can take it on the chin with any sense of 'normalcy'.  It's just not as shocking to people at Huntsville Alabama.  

I have a buddy that went to Aruba in June... he said it was indescribably torrid - like Venetian and unworldly.  Yet, people that lived there were carrying on around like it was a day in the life.  

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

it's just my opinion but, I suspect it all is simply a matter of acclimation

This above as actionable/researched footed, it's all really coming down to the fact that 100 HI's from HFD-PSM are not frequent enough (to date) around here that denizens can take it on the chin with any sense of 'normalcy'.  It's just not as shocking to people at Huntsville Alabama.  

I have a buddy that wen to Aruba in June... he said it was indescribably torrid - like Venetian and unworldly.  Yet, people that lived there were carrying on around like it was a day in the life.  

When I was over in Dubai back in August 2014, most days were in the 105/80 range (80 as in the dewpoints....yes)....and people walked around like it was normal.

What was gross about it is that the dewpoints would tend to rise in the afternoon as a "seabreeze" developed...the scorched 120F sand naturally produces a pretty good land/sea gradient in pressure and the seabreeze would come in, but of course, there were no clouds or anything like that with it like we'll frequently see around here. Just more humid air. Yeah, the temp might drop from 107 to 100, but the dewpoint rises from 74 to 80, lol.

that's actually a solid point.. 

because I can certainly tell the difference between a HI of 95 and 105... 88/70 will knock on the door of the advisory and that happens frequently enough around here that makes me wonder if we're going to get apricot web pages suddenly all the time. And if so...eventually the 'meaningfulness' of that erodes. 

Then, you get the 98/73 and people are conditions not to take it seriously... nice.  

This happened in Jamaica actually when a recent hurricane category 4'ed 'em.  Can't recall what I was watching but a reporter was standing with some partially toothed local, in front of a back drop of what looked like plywood synched together into huts, and this was what they had to hunker down in. The thing is, the local was espousing how they've been through it before so they'll be alright.  I'm like.. you haven't been through this you azz clown.  F'n thing was was hauling 140 mph sustained coming right at that beach head.   good christ. 

it's like all that stuff with these watches and warnings and advisories and special statements... 

Two things regarding the new heat advisory:

The drop to 95+ was shown to only add something like 5-10 more days per year on average (you know the usual culprits ASH, FIT, etc).

And the key is two consecutive days of 95+. Meaning if today is 95 HI, and tomorrow is forecast to hit 95 HI again, we only issue for tomorrow. So that should cut down on the total number of headline events too.

Archived