Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coastal Crusher Feb 9th 2017

WeatherFeen2000

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I thought it was going to go more crazy than it did.  It seems to want to speed and or open a bit after 15Z.  The RGEM has snow, albeit light til 21Z in NYC while the NAM really shuts off by 19

Yeah, it didn't really avail of the the early positive 500mb trends. Still a welcomed NW shift for those of us on the fringe, but not the bozo solution that I expected.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 4k PARA NAM is showing a bit of a warm layer at 925mb over most of LI and coastal SNJ that doesn't get completely overcome until 09z. If things do come in a bit faster than currently modeled some areas could lose a few hours to mixing. The surface is right at 32, so there could be some freezing rain.

3 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, it didn't really avail of the the early positive 500mb trends. Still a welcomed NW shift for those of us on the fringe, but not the bozo solution that I expected.

What were you expecting when the storm is in and out in around 8 hours at most? It's a solid 6+ hours of 2"+ per hour rates for most. 

Just now, NJwx85 said:

The 4k PARA NAM is showing a bit of a warm layer at 925mb over most of LI and coastal SNJ that doesn't get completely overcome until 09z. If things do come in a bit faster than currently modeled some areas could lose a few hours to mixing. The surface is right at 32, so there could be some freezing rain.

That certainly wouldn't be freezing rain with 60 today, regardless I think intensity will overcome for all, plus its rally tucked in on hi-res NAM.

I don't think it'll be much of a problem, but the warm air to start should be watched along the coast. If it goes bonkers too quickly there may be issues to start. An amped low also means a stronger warm layer northeast of the low. It should be overcome within an hour or so and should be heavy snow thereafter. With the coast still in the heaviest precip, there shouldn't be much lost. If I had to guess, northern Suffolk and just NW of the city should see the heaviest totals. 

9 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

What were you expecting when the storm is in and out in around 8 hours at most? It's a solid 6+ hours of 2"+ per hour rates for most. 

8 hours is being generous it would appear on the latest model runs, especially from the city, west. This thing will be flying 

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

I think he means the surface would be way too warm for any rain to actually freeze even if the air is 32, plus it would be brief

I was by no means implying that significant icing is on the table, but it could start out that way out there with the surface below freezing and a shallow warm layer aloft.

Archived