• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Disco Thread 2

WxUSAF

Gefs is actually headed towards a decent look day 16. If the run went out another couple days. But then we're extrapolating a day 16 prog. But it's positive progress I guess. 

Im not getting invested in every little jump each run on the day 4 wave. Those things don't lock in until inside 72 hours. We're another 24 hours from me starting to think the guidance is close to a final solution and even then it's risky and these setups usually adjust up to game time. 

Eta: geps looks decent day 16 too. Maybe guidance is starting to pick up on the mjo influence. Mega torch looks less likely. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That GFS para run sure was interesting! Especially for the late week event and again ~day 10-12 as PSU mentioned. 

Serious question, what has the MJO looked like recently?  I know last week it had us going hard into phase 8, then presumably progressing to 1. Yet the GEFS mean didn't exactly look inspiring late in its run. At least earlier, didn't see 12z.

10 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

That GFS para run sure was interesting! Especially for the late week event and again ~day 10-12 as PSU mentioned. 

Serious question, what has the MJO looked like recently?  I know last week it had us going hard into phase 8, then presumably progressing to 1. Yet the GEFS mean didn't exactly look inspiring late in its run. At least earlier, didn't see 12z.

It's less into 1, but expected after prior runs showed off-the-charts 8

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Its going to be a race to 32, or as close to it as we are gonna get. This might be the subforum divider of the year. Wouldn't be winter without it happening.

Prototypical thread the needle on the GFS.  Comes in too fast and it is warm, too slow and it probably gets shunted.  I'd be surprised if this ends well for us. 

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Its going to be a race to 32, or as close to it as we are gonna get. This might be the subforum divider of the year. Wouldn't be winter without it happening.

The way things are looking now, the place to be will be ne of us as the precip field to the n and nw of the big cities will be lightish.

15 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Maybe. 18z GFS certaintly gives precip to "the usual" areas.

gfs_apcpn24_neus_14.png

Yes, but the "usual" close by area still have temp  issues to deal with at the start. Places to the ne get more of the cold benefit at the start and being closer to the storm, which is way off the coast. Personally,  I'd rather be ne, but the gfs is pretty bad for everyone in all honesty. 

Archived