Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Disco Thread 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Still think this one will end up being a subforum divider. GFS gives like 6" to mappyville based on TT maps. 

If the gfs is right, big if, that would be a 6-10" wet snow bomb up here. 1.2 qpf with 850 temps fine and surface mid 30s dropping to near 32.  That's the type setup we win with up here. 1050 elevation helps a lot.

too bad it's not on a weekend I would say we should do a sub forum get together up at my place. Unfortunately it's mostly a mid week overnight snow. But I've had little luck here too. Gfs trends north at all and I'm out of it also. 

27 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

The UKMET at 72 is west of the GFS 

You must have been looking at the old ukmet. At 72 the gfs is 1005 mb over east central TN. The ukmet at the same time has the low just east of Elkins WV.  It's way northeast of the gfs at 72. It's a pretty awful run unless your north of our area.  

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Looks like it's cuttin nw just fine. Gefs agrees.

This is why I didn't want to get invested in this. These type setups seem to adjust a lot until the very end and usually the adjustment is to trend north. I know the early feb 2014 setup was very similar and that started suppressed then ended up north of our area in the end.  Been afraid this one would slip away. 

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Been afraid this one would slip away. 

Considering the ops basically just found this one 24 hours ago and the ensembles never really sucked us in the past couple days...it doesn't feel like anything is slipping away. If feels more like "sorry man, you knew you never had a chance but I figured I'd F with you for a day cuz it's funny"

Euro will probably suck us all back in so it hurts worse tomorrow. Lol

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Considering the ops basically just found this one 24 hours ago and the ensembles never really sucked us in the past couple days...it doesn't feel like anything is slipping away. If feels more like "sorry man, you knew you never had a chance but I figured I'd F with you for a day cuz it's funny"

Yea. I always find it odd how our desperation for snow plays tricks on our common sense. Going all the way back to march 2001 that shifted way north all of a sudden one run and showed a blizzard. But why did we assume it was done trending?  That feb 2014 storm is another example. Often we look good only for a moment as the guidance shifts past us to the final solution. When it jumped so far north all of a sudden with cold barely pressing and in the middle of a crap mjo phase during a spike I just figured this was a letdown waiting to happen. 

36 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Well would you look at that. Gefs long range lost the torch. Dare I say it's trending towards a better look?  I'm actually not that down about this. This miss is actually more of a typical way we fail. At least it's snowing in the freaking northeast US again. Yea it hurts that it's not us but this new normal we are in lately seems to give us more a chance then we had most of the winter. 

IMG_0543.PNG

Archived