Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Disco Thread 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

6z gefs was actually better than 12z. But mostly noise in the big picture. Both runs are WAY better than any previous one. Considering 24 hours ago the GEFS support dwindled to near zero, there recent flip is fairly encouraging. 

Agreed, was just about to post the same thing. Fewer big hits also dropped the mean a bit, but I think anyone seeking a giant hit out of this one is looking in the wrong place. 

e2 and e16 offer some hope though ;)

8 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

Comparing the last three GFS runs, it appears that the 0z Run overnight had the best result for us with the low coming across North Carolina. Trend has deteriorated since then for us to receive snow. But, we all know that we haven't come up with the final solution yet.

I say this to you a lot. Comparing run over run ops at D4-5+ is bad practice. That is the end of their decent skill range and jumps aren't necessarily trends. 72-96 hours is when it's time to focus on ops and not ensembles. Until then, stick to the ensembles. Starting tonight @ 0z the ops will carry a good bit of weight. And hopefully start to converge on something. 

Just now, Thanatos_I_Am said:

They look the same at 96. Just for posterity. 

Well, that's discouraging.  At 96 hours you should see about 75% at least in the ballpark.  Are the ones without snow the ones with no precip or do they at least have precip?

As Bob said, it's good that it's better.  The trend!

Just now, Bob Chill said:

I say this to you a lot. Comparing run over run ops at D4-5+ is bad practice. That is the end of their decent skill range and jumps aren't necessarily trends. 72-96 hours is when it's time to focus on ops and not ensembles. Until then, stick to the ensembles. Starting tonight @ 0z the ops will carry a good bit of weight. And hopefully start to converge on something. 

The two soundings are very similar other than one being a tad warmer.

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Well, that's discouraging.  At 96 hours you should see about 75% at least in the ballpark.  Are the ones without snow the ones with no precip or do they at least have precip?

As Bob said, it's good that it's better.  The trend!

Yea, if the 0z ensemble suite has 75% consensus then it's probably going to work out in some fashion. At least in the sense that the entire thing won't go poof. Ptype is dicey. Won't really know where any of us stand with confidence until 0z Tues. 

Just now, mitchnick said:

i looked at gfs soundings at BWI, and it's 40-41 at 90 hrs., 34-35 at 93, and just about done precipitating at 96 so it doesn't matter. My bet is Euro is either south from 0Z or way west, warm/rainy. One or the other.

The Euro almost never makes big changes, my guess is it comes ever so slightly NW 

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

The assumption we are going off of it that the column is cool enough for a paste job, meaning that a good deal of the total precip would be snow. Those snowmaps don't show much unless its below 32, I think.

It starts out around 40f and cools to 34f even up here.  That's going to be 0.5" of slush on cartops at best.

Just now, mitchnick said:

I think it's a fair statement that it isn't usually jumpy, but last night's run was an exception.  Heck, it could go back to a total whiff this run.

The vast majority of EPS members have a trailing low. But a ton of spread on how it evolves. Including whiffs south/too far offshore/too close to the departing low and on and on. I just want to see the same general idea of a consolidated low pressure in our general area. Keep that idea alive and then we can hopefully have something to parse out in 2 days. 

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

I think it's a fair statement that it isn't usually jumpy, but last night's run was an exception.  Heck, it could go back to a total whiff this run.

I think it's a fair statement that it didn't used to make big changes, not so much the last couple of years.  Of course, as we get closer, it becomes more rare.

Id be shocked at this point if the gfs completely lost the storm. However, as weak as it is, a significant weakening would be essentially the same thing. 

3 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Gee, this is only three days away!  Wow, bad year for nwp.  Hmmm

Archived