Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Disco Thread 2

WxUSAF

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm still not ready to start the detailed analysis and eventual heartbreak on this yet. As many have accurately pointed out this threat has been there hidden within the noise of the guidance for a long time. But it's not a long lead tracking type event. Progressive wave along a pressing boundary can work and has worked but it's the kind of thing that often undergoes significant changes in guidance leading up.  

It's a very good sign things are trending better now but it could still get pulled out from under us. I'm not saying it's not a legit threat just proceed with caution. Two recent example of this type setup with a low to our north then a follow up wave would be march 5 2015 and early feb 2014. 2015 worked out and the other was a late fail after it trended better initially so...

Fwiw, gefs 850s have been trending opposite to what we'd want to see.  The time frame of such a volatile pattern has me a little interested.  Just think, how many times has this threat window trended in opposite extremes already?...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

SLP closes off in SW va and give a nice tug on the mid levels towards a colder solution. It's kinda the best case scenario. Might go downhill from here. lol

iwm shows only N. MD getting anything.

Just now, Always in Zugzwang said:

Looking at TT, the 850 temps are still too warm (as is the surface), at 84h?  With the low along the NC/VA border.  But then again, I haven't seen the next panels after, not sure how it evolves beyond that.

Nice boost from dynamics. Closed circ @ 850 and surface to our SW. That's exactly what we want to see. It would sure be heavy snow for a time verbatim even with surface in the mid 30's. I'll go with the GFS too warm at the surface bias and then hug whatever model dumps the most precip in a 6 hour period. lol

1 minute ago, PennQuakerGirl said:

Please tell me they have like...at MOST two or three people working there.  

LOL!!  Well, I suppose those midnight shifts can get pretty lonely over there! ^_^

One of the funniest discussion I saw was a few years ago from the Hurricane Center...they were discussing tropical storm Kirk, which was decaying at the time, they had a line in there of "Kirk will not live long and prosper"!!

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Nice boost from dynamics. Closed circ @ 850 and surface to our SW. That's exactly what we want to see. It would sure be heavy snow for a time verbatim even with surface in the mid 30's. I'll go with the GFS too warm at the surface bias and then hug whatever model dumps the most precip in a 6 hour period. lol

I'm with you.  I mean we can nitpick at hour 90, but I'll forgo that and be glad we have something on the board to track.  

Just now, stormtracker said:

I'm with you.  I mean we can nitpick at hour 90, but I'll forgo that and be glad we have something on the board to track.  

Yea, we already know that surface temps are going to be the flag. Just toggle the 6z and 12z runs. It was  a really nice shift in just about everything. It's not going to be cold smoke. Not hard to accept that. I just want white asteroids blasting down for 4 hours to give me 1" in a single event. There's my bar. 

Yea, we already know that surface temps are going to be the flag. Just toggle the 6z and 12z runs. It was  a really nice shift in just about everything. It's not going to be cold smoke. Not hard to accept that. I just want white asteroids blasting down for 4 hours to give me 1" in a single event. There's my bar. 

I'd be shocked if this goofs run doesn't spit anything else out in the lr.

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yeah, didn't see those details right when I sent my post.  But that would perhaps do it for sure (good dynamics, I mean)!  As others said, no point in parsing fine details right now.  It's just nice to have a possibility there.  I'm with you...assume warm bias on the GFS thermals, and take the model with the most precip!! :D

So the GFS drops .5-.75 qpf through the entire region with good dynamics overhead. That's going to be all rain with 850's below zero the whole time and the surface dropping through the mid 30's?

Heavy precipitation and the only level above freezing is within 500 feet of the surface at night?  None of it will be rain and those above freezing temps won't last long either.

Hey it is the only game in town so we can certainly hope for the best in terms of temps - and as was pointed out the upper levels look good so the quicker we can scour out the surface the better - overnight timing could help with that. We have threaded that needle before with commutegeddon lol. Got about 8" in arlington with whiteout consitions and temps around 34  degrees.  Rates can overcome on rare occassions.

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

So the GFS drops .5-.75 qpf through the entire region with good dynamics overhead. That's going to be all rain with 850's below zero the whole time and the surface dropping through the mid 30's?

Mostly rain here I'd go with.  You're in a completely different climo where you can't lose.

Archived