Newest Member
    joxey
Clipper Jan 31st 2017 discussion

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Seeing People say parts of Long Island have 3.5 - 4"? Is that serious? 

If so so does someone have pictures 

Color me impressed, after a big lull things really got going.  It seems to be slowing back down now but even here we have over an inch now.

24 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Looks like central PA had a solid event. 3-5" along I-99, State College, Altoona and west of there along the Allegheny Ridge. Clippers often do well there but then downslope and screw the Susquehanna Valley. The snow definitely went south of where it was expected there. 

Yup. Quarter inch at best here in Schuylkill County...

I got over 1" but not 2".  It's still flaking lightly and it kind of feels like it's just going to be this way for a while.  Most of the streets are just wet but that's because of the ungodly amount of chemicals they dump on them, my unplowed street is completely snow covered as are many of the side streets.

What's with that batch out over western PA?  It looks like it wants to move east but it seems like it's hitting a wall.  Is that headed this way overnight or is it going to make its way east along the I90 corridor?

7 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Despite what the radar might imply, the clippers that tend to overperform usually dig a lot more than this one is forecast to do. IMO, it still looks reasonable that NYC/Nassau County will see generally 1/2"-1" snow (mainly on grassy surfaces), outside the City in northeastern NJ/southern Westchester County/southern Fairfield CountySuffolk County 1"-2", and north of there 2"-3" (also easternmost Suffolk County).

I'm sure you're aware of this, but I'd wager that many people don't realize how far north the east end of Long Island is.  It's basically the equivalent of going from the GWB to a bit north of the Tappan Zee (from SW to NE, i.e., Westhampton to Orient, roughly).  Latitude can matter.  

49 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Snowing in various intensity over the last few hours. Looks pretty but definitely no more then .2-.3

At work in Rahway, but I don't think it ever got to be more than 1/4" - after about 11 am, I'd say the snowfall rate was probably roughly equaling the melting rate.  My wife, in Metuchen says we had maybe 1/4-3/8" on the table on our deck in the backyard.  Mood flakes.  Better than rain or sunshine, lol.  

3 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

At work in Rahway, but I don't think it ever got to be more than 1/4" - after about 11 am, I'd say the snowfall rate was probably roughly equaling the melting rate.  My wife, in Metuchen says we had maybe 1/4-3/8" on the table on our deck in the backyard.  Mood flakes.  Better than rain or sunshine, lol.  

Couldn't have said it better myself. Yeah we had a heavy burst of snow around 11am then the sun came out for a bit. Around 2 we had a mod burst that coated the ground again. Looks like I might be changing my location  to Metuchen soon. Fingers crossed 

7 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Any pics 

I'm impressed- it's still snowing here.  News12 calling this an overachiever and said there are 2" now on the South Shore and 4" on the North Shore with snow still falling.

We've had a few of these light to moderate events this season and they seem to overachieve- like BW said, it just wants to snow, when it has the chance.

I have the feeling this is going to turn out like 92-93.  We had a lot of these small overachievers back then too- and closed the season out with a BANG.  I would sign up with a storm like that tracking over the BM instead of being an inside runner ;-)

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

Looks like central PA had a solid event. 3-5" along I-99, State College, Altoona and west of there along the Allegheny Ridge. Clippers often do well there but then downslope and screw the Susquehanna Valley. The snow definitely went south of where it was expected there. 

Did you hear about the two big accidents that killed two people and injured 20 in PA yesterday? One was on I-80, the other on I-83, both from snow squalls.

Archived