Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 23-24th Nor'easter Nowcast/Obs

dmillz25

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Our weaker trees (trees in general) are gone now after Sandy and storms before it. There will likely be some power outages and flooding in the vulnerable areas like the Canal streets and West End. The overnight high tide might be the worst of it. 

Don't underestimate the damage the recent drought has done.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Our weaker trees (trees in general) are gone now after Sandy and storms before it. There will likely be some power outages and flooding in the vulnerable areas like the Canal streets and West End. The overnight high tide might be the worst of it. 

People don't realize how few trees are left in Long Beach after the winds and salt water damage from Sandy.

I can go down streets and almost not recognize which ones they are due to all the trees being gone. It was probably

one of the largest tree removal operations that we have seen on Long Island.

6 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The convection right now is over Northern VA, however a secondary max is in the process of forming off the mid-atlantic, and should gradually fill in the gaps as the day progresses. As the trough goes negative and winds flip out of the Southeast, the moisture transport will be directly off the ocean and towards the greater NYC area. 

yea, gfs must be having feedback issues.  I could hardly believe my eyes when seeing this . 

0CGGkY.jpg

Just now, Bacon Strips said:

yea, gfs must be having feedback issues.  I could hardly believe my eyes when seeing this . 

0CGGkY.jpg

Some of the modeling the last 24 hours has trended tonights convection further East. The main difference between the GFS and most of the other guidance is that it's much further Southeast than the concensus. 

14 minutes ago, friedmators said:

Power is flickering in East Windsor.  Trees/branches coming down all over the place per PSEG maps.

i am in darien - my power was out already for about 30min i think - i wasn't home

it was back on when i got home

major road (for darien) is closed around the corner

47 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Don't underestimate the damage the recent drought has done.

Like bluewave said very few trees left to be stressed. There are streets that used to have a large mature London Plane tree in front of every house that now have zero.  Even In my neighborhood in south Wantagh there are very few trees left. Allot of the trees that survived Sandy were removed by concerned home owners and the town/county. My backyard has one of only a few very large trees left. It's a whole other world here now. The mark of a serious storm on the island is power outages over 250k. (Occurred during all the big ones we talk about 2010, Irene and of course Sandy) i doubt we see even 100k. 

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Like bluewave said very few trees left to be stressed. There are streets that used to have a large mature London Plane tree in front of every house that now have zero.  Even In my neighborhood in south Wantagh there are very few trees left. Allot of the trees that survived Sandy were removed by concerned home owners and the town/county. My backyard has one of only a few very large trees left. It's a whole other world here now. The mark of a serious storm on the island is power outages over 250k. (Occurred during all the big ones we talk about 2010, Irene and of course Sandy) i doubt we see even 100k. 

i think at the height of the storm 100k will be without power

my temp has been steady or dropping slowly for the last 3 hours,even with mid day here my temp hasn't budged at 38f with a dp of 31..forecast high of 45. i don't see it with a intensifying storm crawling up the coast. as dusk approaches these temps might drop a bit with the heavy precip incoming. might be sleet and rain instead of plain rain now..

7 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Here in NJ it's a much different story.

2 minutes ago, BxWeatherwatcher said:
14 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

did I happen to stumble upon Goes R..?

how about that plume of moisture about to affect the area.

yeah also of note is how far south and east it is compared to all guidance. considering that temps haven't cracked 40 yet,it might be a telling sign that the cooler air is still around and maybe not going anywhere later once this ramps up.

Just now, BxWeatherwatcher said:

yeah also of note is how far south and east it is compared to all guidance. considering that temps haven't cracked 40 yet,it might be a telling sign that the cooler air is still around and maybe not going anywhere later once this ramps up.

I had thought that temps would be rising during late night/overnight though no?

2 minutes ago, ILoveWinter said:

I had thought that temps would be rising during late night/overnight though no?

well if the southeasterly flow is raging then yeah,but if the upper levels close off that flow and the winds stay northerly then i'm not so certain. i mean it is high afternoon already one would think temps would be rising but they really arent.

Archived