Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Jan 23-24th Nor'easter Nowcast/Obs

dmillz25

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

most of the precip will be over by the time 800mb matters.

It's 29.8 here...been snowing for hours and already a dusting. 

It's already colder by a couple degrees than expected.  This makes a world of difference.  

And will make a world of difference in the precip type in most of NJ as well.

The warm nose at 800mb arrives when the bulk of the precipitation arrives around 7PM. Since you're out in PA and have some decent elevation, you could see a bit more snow than what 99% of the NYC area will experience. 

38 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Still will be a good storm, but 60 mph is a significant difference than 70 mph...difference between widespread outages and scattered outages. Not surprised as it is very rare to get such winds, but a bit of a let down to be honest. 

Winds are like a typical windy day currently. 

38* now.

I'm pretty sure I'll see higher than 60mph gusts at the height of it down by me, but agreed that it will be more of a moderate vs major impact if winds hit 70 or over. The winds are also looking to be more northerly which will lessen the flood threat somewhat. 

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I'm pretty sure I'll see higher than 60mph gusts at the height of it down by me, but agreed that it will be more of a moderate vs major impact if winds hit 70 or over. The winds are also looking to be more northerly which will lessen the flood threat somewhat. 

Yes, i agree, you will probably see some gusts to 65. But Long Beach can handle 65 mph winds no problem now. The North Shore would be a different story. Im still not convinced we dont see some inland airports like ISP gust over 60.

this colder and drier pattern is a bit troublesome in terms of QPF.   GFS could be onto something.

It only puts out 0.50 to 0.75 total QPF in SNJ now..  and radar trends would tend to agree.

when you have a colder than expected scenario....it usually means drier than expected as well.  especially with a Low that isn't all that intense...barely into the 980's.  

so yea...the GFS is the only fly in the ointment now. 

5 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Yes, i agree, you will probably see some gusts to 65. But Long Beach can handle 65 mph winds no problem now. The North Shore would be a different story. Im still not convinced we dont see some inland airports like ISP gust over 60.

For sure, Long Beach can easily handle winds in the 60s (gusts) with little or no damage. Same goes for most of the south shore.

winds here in wantagh currently are pretty lame, about as strong as they were 6 hours ago

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

For sure, Long Beach can easily handle winds in the 60s (gusts) with little or no damage. Same goes for most of the south shore.

winds here in wantagh currently are pretty lame, about as strong as they were 6 hours ago

Few nice gusts here in Garden City right now, around 45. 

6 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Our weaker trees (trees in general) are gone now after Sandy and storms before it. There will likely be some power outages and flooding in the vulnerable areas like the Canal streets and West End. The overnight high tide might be the worst of it. 

17 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

this colder and drier pattern is a bit troublesome in terms of QPF.   GFS could be onto something.

It only puts out 0.50 to 0.75 total QPF in SNJ now..  and radar trends would tend to agree.

when you have a colder than expected scenario....it usually means drier than expected as well.  especially with a Low that isn't all that intense...barely into the 980's.  

so yea...the GFS is the only fly in the ointment now. 

The convection right now is over Northern VA, however a secondary max is in the process of forming off the mid-atlantic, and should gradually fill in the gaps as the day progresses. As the trough goes negative and winds flip out of the Southeast, the moisture transport will be directly off the ocean and towards the greater NYC area. 

tran.gif?1485188708318

Archived