Newest Member
    joxey
January 23rd-24th Storm Threat

Rjay

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ag3 said:

The main threat for this storm is moderate to major coastal flooding. Especially for LI sound locations and back bays of the south shore.

As currently modeled, it's a major coastal event.

Could be some inland flooding as well depending on where the heaviest rains setup. The 12z NAM has 2-3" of rain already fallen by Monday afternoon with more to come.

41 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

It would be much worse for the South Shore if there would be strong SE wind during the time of high tide. If the models shift to more of a NE wind, it will be much worse for the typical nor'easter spots on the north shore. The south shore problem areas like Freeport will likely flood regardless with a strong fetch for so long. 

yes, I am not too concerned about flooding here on the south shore, the usual spots will see flooding.

9 hours ago, Paragon said:

blue bomb in the Poconos? How high up?  We have a house there about 1,800 ft in elevation but it's actually a county north of Allentown (Carbon county), so it's south of I-80

I would want to above 2k for an all snow event. So that puts everyone in this region out of the game for a true blue bomb. Mt pocono at 1,988' should be good to go. This is a ski resort special for the Catskills and Greens. 

3 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I would want to above 2k for an all snow event. So that puts everyone in this region out of the game for a true blue bomb. Mt pocono at 1,988' should be good to go. This is a ski resort special for the Catskills and Greens. 

yea, it'll be an epic blue bomb up here, but elevations above 1000 feet as well.   parts of NJ will be white as well. 

6 minutes ago, Animal said:

Come on now. No talk of snow anywhere in their zone with the storm in the 930 am afd. Mentions possible patch freezing rain or light snow to start Sunday night in poconos or parts of Sussex County.

It's January and there's a storm. I think it will snow several inches all the way to the coast. I have no scientific reasoning but hey

This is an all rain event for 99.99% of the region and even those that do manage to see a few flakes won't receive much. Even Mt. Pocono is forecasted to be in the lower 40's by Monday afternoon. Embrace the rain, it's the only thing you have. Oh and maybe embrace falling trees and power outages too.

2 hours ago, jm1220 said:

It would be much worse for the South Shore if there would be strong SE wind during the time of high tide. If the models shift to more of a NE wind, it will be much worse for the typical nor'easter spots on the north shore. The south shore problem areas like Freeport will likely flood regardless with a strong fetch for so long. 

Yep I was worried a couple of days ago about the south shore when the modeled were showing prolonged SE winds but now it's the north shore that should be worried with those persistent NE winds.  With that said Freeport and Lindenhurst should see some moderate flooding. 

The models do not take elevation into account well. There will be snow at high enough elevations. I'm talking the top of the pocono plateau  Catskills peaks and souinches thern greens. Above 2k. Think of this like a very early or very late season event based on the encendent airmass. This is not a snow event for anyone in our area and the entire state of New Jersey. You need to be high enough up to have temps cold enough to overcome the warmth. Really this is a peaks storm. Over 3k your talking feet. The peaks of the Catskills saw feet (I believe 5) during March 2010

Yesterday, in message #59, I posted statistical snowfall probabilities for New York City for the upcoming storm based on a PNA+/AO+/EPO- setup. It now appears that the EPO will actually be positive for the upcoming storm.

I re-ran the numbers for a PNA+/AO+/EPO+ setup that takes into consideration the values of each of the indices. The 12z GFS outcome fits what one would expect from the forecast pattern. No snow remains the most likely outcome.

Climatology (1981-2010):
No snow: 40%
< 0.5” snow: 58%
0.5” or more snow: 42%
1.0” or more snow: 25%

Forecast Pattern:
No snow: 39%
< 0.5” snow: 98%
0.5” or more snow: 2%
1.0” or more snow: Near 0%

4 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Yesterday, in message #59, I posted statistical snowfall probabilities for New York City for the upcoming storm based on a PNA+/AO+/EPO- setup. It now appears that the EPO will actually be positive for the upcoming storm.

I re-ran the numbers for a PNA+/AO+/EPO+ setup that takes into consideration the values of each of the indices. The 12z GFS outcome fits what one would expect from the forecast pattern. No snow remains the most likely outcome.

Climatology (1981-2010):
No snow: 40%
< 0.5” snow: 58%
0.5” or more snow: 42%
1.0” or more snow: 25%

Forecast Pattern:
No snow: 39%
< 0.5” snow: 98%
0.5” or more snow: 2%
1.0” or more snow: Near 0%

Kudos as always, Don.

Not sure if NWS discussion belongs in Vendor thread or here... Please move if necessary. I'm a little uncertain as to why Mt. Holly seems to be quite cavalier in their wording in this morning's AFD. Precipitation discussion is one thing, but no mention of the potentially damaging winds being depicted on the majority of guidance? Upton singing a more expected tune.

Mt. Holly:

It looks like there will be a pd of steady, heavy rain Sunday
night, especially over srn areas, though the guid still differs
on where the heaviest rain will fall and when.

The GFS wants to bring in a lull in the precip area wide on
Mon mrng while the ECMWF keeps it wet. The EC has perhaps a lull
later Mon. But it seems there will be a second wave at some
point on Mon, again, exactly where and when is difficult to
pinpoint attm. Yet a third wave looks to move thru Mon night
before the low pulls away from the region and things dry out
durg the second half of Tue.

Temps look to be above nrml durg this whole event and the vast
majority of the region will see plain rain durg the whole time
frame. However, temps could be marginally cold enough in the
Poconos and portions of Sussex County NJ Sun night for some
light amounts of freezing rain and there could be some light