SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Queencitywx said:

Latest HRRR has the sleet line making it to just south of Huntersville. I'm a bit concerned about that but it means that we're in the money spot here. 

Ha, I've never been a big fan of the being close to the sleet or rain theory....I like being a little distance away for the max totals.

3 minutes ago, BIG FROSTY said:

All this North West trending and still a big minimum in Northwest North Carolina Foothills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even worse up here.  It is like a dowslope on this side of the mountains but that does not normally happen with a coastal here.  SREF still at 7.5 but NAM 2-3.  Will need some luck to get better than that here in the valley.

5 minutes ago, griteater said:

Ha, I've never been a big fan of the being close to the sleet or rain theory....I like being a little distance away for the max totals.

Growing up on the RI coast I fear the sleet/mix line. Too many nightmares of watching 5 miles inland get dumped with dendrites while I'm managing plates at best and most likely just PL.

3 minutes ago, BFF said:

Growing up on the RI coast I fear the sleet/mix line. Too many nightmares of watching 5 miles inland get dumped with dendrites while I'm managing plates at best and most likely just PL.

What part of town are you in? if you're in UC or Northlake, you're probably better off than rea road or pineville. 

3 minutes ago, BFF said:

What part of town are you in? if you're in UC or Northlake, you're probably better off than rea road or pineville. 

3 minutes ago, mryanwilkes said:
59 minutes ago, No snow for you said:

Looks like the wind is getting around the mountains. Should be interesting.

http://hint.fm/wind/

And there goes any of my productivity for the rest of the morning.  Thanks for sharing!

That wind map shows well how the NE GA / W Upstate warm bubble forms

Guess who's back.

WxSouth
4 mins · 

Good morning. After a couple hours of sleep this week, I see no hope for that anytime soon! I just did an update for members and I already see I need to adjust my snow maps in Alabama , Georgia, Misissippi, Tennesee--significantly. I'll fine tune the map soon for that area.
Big snow totals are coming for the Deep South, into Carolinas and Virginia, eastern TN, and its going to be a Crippling Snowstorm for the Piedmont of NC VA and possibly northern SC.
I highlight why this is going to happen thanks to the 850 low placement, High rates of snowfall near the rain-snow line near 85, and the lee trough that sets up in the lee of the Apps stretching to the Coastal low pressure (which continues to edge further northwest each run)
New NAM model is out and its just plain old snowy and deep in the Carolinas. Could be a while in northeast GA and upstate SC before changing over though, but it's coming. The biggest snow winners of all will likely be the heart of the Piedmont of NC ,northeast NC and Southeast half of Virginia, with the bullseye of both long duration snow and high rates occurring near Charlotte, Greensboro to Raleigh, Rocky Mount up to Norfolk and just southeast of Richmond, all of which could push 10" of snow and some where will top 12"

9z SREF is in and it has decreased snowfall for Birmingham from 2.15" mean to 1.80" mean. Total QPF is still the same at 0.5" which means it is increasing the amount of ice. It shows all freezing rain/sleet up until 10pm Friday evening before changing to snow on the end. Matches up with earlier sounding showing a large warm layer between 2500 and 8000 feet at BMX.

• jburns unpinned this topic

Archived