Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, griteater said:

18z GFS brings a weak wave out in SW flow, into a retreating damming high, at day 9-10...ice in CAD areas...the transient blocking over north atlantic doesn't hold as well as the Euro...critical

I thought the blocking looked pretty good there leading up to it, but then petered out quick.  That's just got to hold for this to work. 

I believe that there will be at least a 3 day window around next weekend where a piece of energy that gets shoved into the GOM can reamplify and move in tandem with a blocking arctic high across the SE.  This is what you want to see right now on the models as a snow lover in the SE.  Don't go all in on it, but get excited because the models are actually interesting now and we have something to track.  I am not getting amped until I see it under 5 days, but I like the pattern change that seems to be on the horizon.

4 minutes ago, bhamwx205 said:

Looks similar to the eps . more hits than not

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Cary_Snow95 said:

I counted 20 of 21 members that put snow at rdu

22 minutes ago, SN_Lover said:

zonal

Soooo, which is it? Come on fellas.

I think the GEFS looks a ton better than the op. Especially in regards to the storm. I don't see our big boy cutting based off the GEFS H5 maps.

I think the GEFS looks a ton better than the op. Especially in regards to the storm. I don't see our big boy cutting based off the GEFS H5 maps.

you are right. it's much better than the op. not sure how in the hell it wasn't a step in the right direction. holds onto the block longer than the op

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

IMO Ridge in the Atlantic doesn't hold as well as 12z. Often leads to sepression or plain old FROPA. Hopefully this reverses.  

1 minute ago, Brick Tamland said:

Yeah, the potential is still there for late next week and it has been showing up for a few days now. As long as the opportunity is still showing then things are looking good.

Agreed. Lets just enjoy the fact that we have a storm right now to chase. 

Looking at how the GFS/GFS-Para/Euro has done the past 10 days or so.  Below is a 48 hour model prog (top left), so should be fairly close to reality, and then top right is GFS, bottom left is Euro and bottom right is Para, all from Dec 21st for the same date to compare.  The Op GFS isn't even close, the Para/Euro are fairly good.  In fact, the Op Euro picked up on the blocking (NAO) a little better then it's own ensemble at this range.   The para picked up on the NAO too.  The Op GFS started getting a clue inside day 7 and was reasonable at day 5.

Edit:  The GEPS was awful, not even close at day 9, didn't even bother looking much into it.  The GEFS/EPS were both reasonable at day 9.

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 9.31.55 PM.png

Archived