SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
12/19-12/20 Freezing Rain Threat

Brick Tamland

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Evap cooling where the precip is falling.  That NAM snow map algo thinks freezing rain is snow, hence the accumulation.

Also, you're showing total 84 hour accumulation, along with a snapshot of temps at hour 57.  Maybe there are other time periods where the temps toward the coast drop to or below freezing, which would explain why the model has accumulations there.

Unfortunately, the NAM is now correcting east with the precip, like the Euro.

15 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Haha, well then, you'll probably get more snow than Raleigh this year in that case.

Also, I edited my post above and added a middle paragraph.

I don't know about that I sat at 33 and drizzle all night lol

Yeah  I went back through and checked and this is as far as the 32 line progresses.  Must be some freezing temps too small to outline in blue or something.

namconus_T2m_seus_45.png

2 minutes ago, fountainguy97 said:

I don't know about that I sat at 33 and drizzle all night lol

Yeah  I went back through and checked and this is as far as the 32 line progresses.  Must be some freezing temps too small to outline in blue or something.

namconus_T2m_seus_45.png

Man I don't know then.  I'd chalk it up to what you said or the fact that the snow output algo sucks anyway.

Of course the Euro doesn't have anything here now while the GFS starts trending NW with the precip. NAM looks okay but it's the NAM this far out, so who knows.  Still have no idea what will really happen yet with the back and forth and flip flopping. We saw overnight it doesn't take much ice to cause problems on the roads, though.

31 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Of course the Euro doesn't have anything here now while the GFS starts trending NW with the precip. NAM looks okay but it's the NAM this far out, so who knows.  Still have no idea what will really happen yet with the back and forth and flip flopping. We saw overnight it doesn't take much ice to cause problems on the roads, though.

U are correct about last nights roads but this system is following a day where temps may well hit 78-80 also temps will be just at 32 and precip will be heavier so a ton will run off. I doubt roads will be a major issue  even if the nam's .38 of zr falls just southwest of Pitt county. Bridges will be bad though and you will have your typical isolated rough spots.

57 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Totally agree, but just the idea that we could be seeing some ice after a 70 degree day is interesting. Strange pattern we're in...

Try getting close to .50 of ice 2 days after being near 80 back on Feb 18 1989. That storm dropped 8-12 inches of sleet and snow north of GSO and RAH in NC.

Pretty interesting HWO out of MHX, this is rather bullish for them.....it gonna be 75 early tomorrow afternoon.....

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEWPORT/MOREHEAD CITY NC
406 PM EST SAT DEC 17 2016

NCZ029-044>046-079-080-182115-
MARTIN-PITT-WASHINGTON-TYRRELL-GREENE-BEAUFORT-
406 PM EST SAT DEC 17 2016

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA.

.DAY ONE...TONIGHT.

HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS NOT EXPECTED AT THIS TIME.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SUNDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.

COLD AIR WILL FILTER IN BEHIND A STRONG COLD FRONT SUNDAY NIGHT.
RAIN COULD CHANGE TO FREEZING RAIN...AS TEMPERATURES MAY HOVER
NEAR THE FREEZING MARK LATE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH THE DAY MONDAY
AND INTO MONDAY NIGHT GENERALLY ALONG AND NORTH OF HIGHWAY 264.

Archived