• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Greenmachine1123
    Newest Member
    Greenmachine1123

NNE Winter Thread

22 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Hey PF, Stowe is on my list of places to go in March prior to the birth of my daughter and all hell breaking loose. :). My wife is limited as to what she can do for physical activity, but I would love to visit. Any suggestions? Of course I fully expect you to take me on a tour via snow Cat. :lol:

Hey dude forgot to reply!  Congrats man I didn't know you guys were expecting!  

We should talk on Facebook or PM...like the price point you are looking for and stuff like that.  Plenty of options but I wish this thaw didn't happen.  You need to see it in deep winter haha.

Topnotch Resort and Spa is always up on my list because I used to work there and think the facilities are solid, families enjoy the pools and it's got some great views of the mountain from around the property.  It can be pricy though, usually second to Stowe Mountain Lodge.  Though Stowe Mountain Lodge is fun because it's at 1500ft in the base area and the weather is much more exciting haha.

Trapp Family Lodge would be my next choice at 1,400ft on a hill, also with excellent views just not of Mansfield.  Facilities are a little more dated but there's history there (Sound of Music family) and the new beer hall and brewery is pretty cool.  Stowe and Waterbury area is a beer mecca now, your son would probably like a visit to the Ben and Jerry factory too for great ice cream and a tour.

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Hey dude forgot to reply!  Congrats man I didn't know you guys were expecting!  

We should talk on Facebook or PM...like the price point you are looking for and stuff like that.  Plenty of options but I wish this thaw didn't happen.  You need to see it in deep winter haha.

Topnotch Resort and Spa is always up on my list because I used to work there and think the facilities are solid, families enjoy the pools and it's got some great views of the mountain from around the property.  It can be pricy though, usually second to Stowe Mountain Lodge.  Though Stowe Mountain Lodge is fun because it's at 1500ft in the base area and the weather is much more exciting haha.

Trapp Family Lodge would be my next choice at 1,400ft on a hill, also with excellent views just not of Mansfield.  Facilities are a little more dated but there's history there (Sound of Music family) and the new beer hall and brewery is pretty cool.  Stowe and Waterbury area is a beer mecca now, your son would probably like a visit to the Ben and Jerry factory too for great ice cream and a tour.

Ha, will do. I'll hit you up on FB IM or something. It's just a matter of how much we can do in her condition. I know what I would like lol. Thanks man.

Stowe Derby cancelled due to bad conditions. I believe it was last year as well.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Bright sun, brisk winds here - at least the fog has gone.  Measured 0.83" since dz began Friday, about 0.7" since 7 last evening, and not a hint of a snowflake, not even a catpaw.  Lost another 2" overnight, pack down to 26".

Event totals: 0.4” Snow/0.85” L.E.

So this latest storm that passed to our northwest of our area and brought the rain snow was named Winter Storm Quid, although the focus for most or the winter weather with this event was much father to the west.  We actually got just a couple transient tenths of an inch of slushy accumulation last night when the rain changed over to big flakes of snow, but it was still too warm for anything lasting.  This morning’s snow accumulation (reported below) is from the snow/graupel we’ve been getting from the cold side of the storm.

As for snowpack, I cored it once this morning and got 1.97” of liquid, and felt it had to be in error because of how close it was to yesterday’s reading, so I cored it again being as conservative as possible to not get any extra amounts of the crumbly frozen granular into the cylinder… and got 1.81”.  After seeing that, I really don’t think there were any major issues with the first core, so I just averaged the two for my report to CoCoRaHS.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.02 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 10.0

Snow Density: 10.0% H2O

Temperature: 29.8 F

Sky: Flurries

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

Last night has the prize for oddest day ever since I moved here.  63F in St. J when we left the planetarium at 3:30, the front came through around 8, heavy rain, a few bolts of lightning with the thunderstorm and within 10 minutes heavy snow. WTH?

In any event, our southwest facing yard is back to grass, the garden is exposed again after having 20'+ snow cover last week, almost all the snow piles are gone. Impressive melt for Feb. At least everything flash froze again so the driveway is once again treacherous :)

Cool shots eyewall, it reminds me of watching the aftermath of Irene from that spot in the early morning hours after hearing the roar from my apartment downstream 1/8 mile or so from there. Anyone manning the debris clearing machine?

Cool shots eyewall, it reminds me of watching the aftermath of Irene from that spot in the early morning hours after hearing the roar from my apartment downstream 1/8 mile or so from there. Anyone manning the debris clearing machine?

Yes someone was in it as I just went back. I watched huge logs get thrown over the falls like toothpicks as well. I took more shots and will see if I caught that.

Awesome power and carnage captured in your shots. Shards of wood, whole logs, a torn-asunder Wallingford sign- all on the backdrop of a deluge- neat. All the different textures and structures the water takes on in those shots is really cool, also.

One of my favorite spots during flooding was going to the river walk next to the Cascades and looking across towards the Chase Mill. The tier-like descent of the river there made for some turbid and tumultuous waters, too.

Awesome power and carnage captured in your shots. Shards of wood, whole logs, a torn-asunder Wallingford sign- all on the backdrop of a deluge- neat. All the different textures and structures the water takes on in those shots is really cool, also.

One of my favorite spots during flooding was going to the river walk next to the Cascades and looking across towards the Chase Mill. The tier-like descent of the river there made for some turbid and tumultuous waters, too.

Yes that is a good spot also.

5 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

I saw earlier that Plymouth State College flooded because of an icejam...sucks big time 

Worst possible timing...early on a Sunday and virtually without warning. People were probably still sleeping and hungover after being out late on a Saturday night partying, so many probably never woke up and got the message until it was too late. Hopefully their insurance will cover it because flood inundation often totals a car. The university puts it in the parking contract that they're not responsible for car flood damage. Tough luck.

Any bird experts?   Bluebirds arrived today in the apple orchards.  I have never seen them this early. .  Looking at this cold wave late week temperatures could get down below 10-15F.  I don't even have the nest boxes up.   I  read that early spring cold waves can be deadly for them.   I wish they had not arrived so early.   Anyone have any input?  Thanks!