Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

First flakes.   24/18F    Should be some good ratios with temps starting out this low.  

Flakes here too.

But Gene you know ratios aren't affect too much by surface temps as long as it's 32F or lower...all about those mid levels where the flakes are being produced ;).

I liked seeing the Greens already enhancing the first band...bodes well tonight as this really moves in.  

IMG_4383.GIF

3 hours ago, qg_omega said:

how do you gain without snow?

For mby, 3-5" tonight, doubt much rain in this first wave. I think any warmup may only melt what we get overnight, possibly more snow by the weekend. That all falling on a solid pack not going anywhere. 

Here's to hoping for an over-producer. 

Campton Mtn webcam: http://24.103.196.50/stream.jpg

36 minutes ago, alex said:

How warm do we think it will get in our areas next week? I know if anyone's torching in NH, I will be the one... will we get a complete pack eraser? Hard to tell from the post in the main threads

Dont listen to anything they say in the main thread about pack erasing, they certainly arent thinking about 1600ft in NH. 

i see oceanstwx is in here, he would probably know

27 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Dont listen to anything they say in the main thread about pack erasing, they certainly arent thinking about 1600ft in NH. 

i see oceanstwx is in here, he would probably know

I mean it looks warm, but more run of the mill warmth for January if that makes sense. If we can avoid some sort of Gulf connection rainer with temps in the 40s there will be snow left. 

21 minutes ago, eyewall said:

This high wind warning appears to be a bust.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

not always a bust... Was walking by the wind turbine up at the hospital around 8:15 and then again an hour later.  A couple gusts definitely knocked me around a bit. Ballpark 40mph gusts.

not always a bust... Was walking by the wind turbine up at the hospital around 8:15 and then again an hour later.  A couple gusts definitely knocked me around a bit. Ballpark 40mph gusts.

Yeah definitely 40 plus but not 55-60. I think we were closer with that arctic front not too long ago.

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

Yeah definitely 40 plus but not 55-60. I think we were closer with that arctic front not too long ago.

WINDS...SOUTH 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH.

the higher winds were forecasted along the lake up around St. Albans last I checked... seems like the forecast was pretty spot on around here. It didn't appear to say that 60 mph winds would be everywhere, but somewhere. The glass can be half full once in a while, bro.

WINDS...SOUTH 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 60 MPH.

the higher winds were forecasted along the lake up around St. Albans last I checked... seems like the forecast was pretty spot on around here. It didn't appear to say that 60 mph winds would be everywhere, but somewhere. The glass can be half full once in a while, bro.

The point and clicks and map had g55 throughout the warning area. Yes of course the highest was by St. Albans and the islands but overall it came in well under. I am not upset about it, but that is how it worked out. We gusted to 40-45 which would be advisory level.

2" of dense snow at the 1,500ft level this morning and 3" reported at 3,000ft with drifts to 4 feet, lol.

We are easily nearing 50mph gusts here in the base area.  This is wild, some of the best wind I've seen in a while at this elevation.

28F at summit and 36F at base.  All snow from what I could tell but its very dense/wet below 2,500ft.

Looked like the main accumulating snow level in this area was around 1,200-1,300ft. 

Event totals: 0.3” Snow/0.29” L.E.

Our site picked up 0.3” of snow/sleet on the front side of Winter Storm Iras, and an additional 0.21” of liquid overnight.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.08 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 3.8

Snow Density: 26.7% H2O

Temperature: 35.2 F

Sky: Light Sleet/Rain

Snow at the stake: 4.5 inches

Archived