Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Dec 12 Snow/ice threat

ORH_wxman

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Early in the run still, but I think 12z GFS will probably be colder than the 06z run. Heights are looking a bit better in E Quebec through 60 hours.

Yup - better high placement. I have it out to hour 72 and it's probably 30-40 miles south of 6z with the r/s line at 12z Monday.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty good thump Monday morning. Anyways...I don't think we'll see a return to the 12z Euro of yesterday...the whole thing is further north on all guidance...but we should be able to grab advisory stuff out of this I think as long as we don't see drastic changes.

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

12z GFS, Is a tic or two colder but similar to 06z with the track

I think that minor tick cooler is a slight timing difference. Maybe an hour or two slower than the 6z run. I don't think the end result is really any different between the 6z run and 12z run. 

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

no .. i give you credit as not being "simple minded" 

i do, however, equally give you my sympathies for having your mind be dimmed and dumbed by this auto-pilot instant gratification technology we are submerged in.. An easy victim of which is any time one could stop to appreciate things doesn't really happen.  and, it doesn't then lend to creating a mind that is pre-prepared to reading a metaphor like 'steam compared to cumulus' and so forth.

it's not ur fault.  people just don't read anymore - it's a shrinking preference regardless.  everything is emogees and rebus' on their portable devices.  Tweets?  absolutely murder the virtue of poetry and creative dialogue/exchange of opine and ideas.  

it's a conditioning thing.  if you are young, it's status quo.  if you are older ..say Gen x and more, you sense a dearth in virtuosity and value in just about everything. 

i publish research journals and I agree with this dim view.

10 minutes ago, CT Rain said:
I think that minor tick cooler is a slight timing difference. Maybe an hour or two slower than the 6z run. I don't think the end result is really any different between the 6z run and 12z run. 

In the end down your way it was not, But up here it ended up being a tic or two

GGEM isn't bad...keeps it all snow for most of SNE. But again, without that high position/strength more like we saw yesterday on the 12z suite, the amounts are relatively tame. Nothing wrong with that...still pretty early in December...but basically we should not expect more than advisory amounts with that type of setup.

i just i dunno i sense in between the dialogue from various posting that there is a hyper snow-focused bias... (we know this, just sayn' at times it's distracting)

not sure how to help ya.  if that's what you want, even at our latitude, you tend to wait awhile for purest of heart scenarios.  like 2 years ago in february? fine, but that's rare.  most systems, in reality,  we got to go through the p-type concern one way or the other. 

just so long as the odor of the 'smoldering grouse' doesn't preclude apt judgement, then fine - otherwise, it's delusion. i don't want to be part of that. 

i think cold low levels still must win out in this... if not, it will be an interesting study for a rare warm win given the antecedent parameters.  whether that means more icing, or... snow then 33.4 (which for snow geese isn't terrible because your probably not losing the 'white' you put down) and so forth, it's a relative win. 

Just now, dryslot said:

One would think modeling would start to sense that HP as long as its in a good position and not retreating in the upcoming runs

In the events that tend to over perform cold, I've usually noticed that guidance will "see" the cold airmass once we get inside of 48 hours...we see a few ticks colder before the trend levels off. This event is still hashing out the shortwave details in the plains...and that has affected the synoptics too. It is bringing it into our region from a flatter angle than previously because the shortwave is further north now. That's not as favorable for good frontogenesis as you limit the upglide across the gradient.

But a few minor tweaks could make it a lot nicer.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

In the events that tend to over perform cold, I've usually noticed that guidance will "see" the cold airmass once we get inside of 48 hours...we see a few ticks colder before the trend levels off. This event is still hashing out the shortwave details in the plains...and that has affected the synoptics too. It is bringing it into our region from a flatter angle than previously because the shortwave is further north now. That's not as favorable for good frontogenesis as you limit the upglide across the gradient.

But a few minor tweaks could make it a lot nicer.

I know when looking at the 12z GFS, It started off colder down in SNE only to end with basically the same result from 06z, But it was a couple tics colder here in the upper levels so that may be the start of modeling picking up on that colder pressing high, Something to watch over the next several cycles, I would like to see a better fronto thump

with artic air this weekend  models are to fast with warn air wont happen sorry for those dont agree with that .  looks good for 4/7 inches  inland ct mass and sne area  . I seen it to many times and didnt change or warm up like models said .  looks colder storm on wed/thur storm with gfs model for sne area .

Archived