Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 10-12 Potential Snow Event

Hoosier

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'd be concerned in northern IN/southern MI if the LLJ configuration looks like this on Sunday.  The NAM has more of a direct punch into those areas while the other models shunt it more toward the OV.  If this NAM type solution were to pan out, there would be a pretty good chance that the warming aloft would be underestimated and those areas would change over to mix/rain faster than progged.

namconus_mslp_uv850_ncus_42.png

namconus_mslp_uv850_ncus_43.png

That's been my concern sitting here in NW Ohio as well. That would put a huge dent in potential snow totals in most of IWX's CWA. Not that they were too high to begin with, but an otherwise nice 3-5" would disappear quickly. 

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'd be concerned in northern IN/southern MI if the LLJ configuration looks like this on Sunday.  The NAM has more of a direct punch into those areas while the other models shunt it more toward the OV.  If this NAM type solution were to pan out, there would be a pretty good chance that the warming aloft would be underestimated and those areas would change over to mix/rain faster than progged.

namconus_mslp_uv850_ncus_42.png

namconus_mslp_uv850_ncus_43.png

As of now no models show rain in southern MI, and luckily nam is a northern outlier

4 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

As of now no models show rain in southern MI, and luckily nam is a northern outlier

I know, just throwing it out there.  Models are often too slow in rapid WAA situations and if you have 50 kts punching in there, it's going to be a challenge to hold the rain/snow line at bay.  

The RAP/HRRR were useful in the last event that kept trending wetter and I'm hoping they will be good on picking up the temp/precip trends this time.

1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

Was just looking at the 36hr HRRRX, and it shows an extremely sharp cutoff in simulated reflectivity along the southern edge of the precip shield over Iowa @36hrs.  Gonna be interesting watching that evolve tomorrow night.

is that wxbell only? or is there somewhere else I can go to find that?

4 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

is that wxbell only? or is there somewhere else I can go to find that?

You can see it here.. http://rapidrefresh.noaa.gov/HRRR/Welcome.cgi?dsKey=hrrr_jet&domain=full&run_time=09+Dec+2016+-+18Z

Only a few runs actually go out 36hrs, like the 18z run for example.

EDIT:  The wxbell version looks considerably more high-res/detailed with the simulated radar.  Has a much sharper line than the noaa site.

EDIT2:  Here's the wxbell version.  

28s0zzd.jpg

4 minutes ago, Baum said:

Since these guys are MIA I'll throw out some calls: geos: 11.7 " Alek: 1.2 " washed away by rain. 

Poor Alek :lmao:

In a weird way, this scenario with the surface low looking like it will go north of Chicago arguably is better, or at least no worse for the lakeside areas than if it were passing farther south.  The southerly low level flow will bring in some warmer air but at least there's not a fetch off a 40+ degree body of water.

2 hours ago, Powerball said:

Other than the 1999 Blizzard, I can't recall any other snowstorm (at least since then) where we managed warning criteria amounts and snow as the only precipitation type with a low track NW of here. 

Might be a reason why the CIPS analogs are so bearish on snow with southward extent... most of them have it confined fairly far north.  I think there are a couple things at play in this case, one being decent antecedent cold air and another is that it's a relatively flat flow with the surface low staying somewhat weak (models still varying on this though).  Change either one of those factors and this is probably a much different outcome.

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Might be a reason why the CIPS analogs are so bearish on snow with southward extent... most of them have it confined fairly far north.  I think there are a couple things at play in this case, one being decent antecedent cold air and another is that it's a relatively flat flow with the surface low staying somewhat weak (models still varying on this though).  Change either one of those factors and this is probably a much different outcome.

There's also decent low-level forcing with the LLJ at play. 

Archived