Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2016-2017 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Who knows if this will hold but the trend right now is toward a more intense secondary/frontal wave riding up from the south around the 29th-30th after the initial system ejects into the upper Midwest. Cold air generally lags behind though so most of the precip is rain.

Yeah the models have been hinting at the secondary system for a while now, going to be pretty moisture laden too.

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

Yeah the models have been hinting at the secondary system for a while now, going to be pretty moisture laden too.

Hey, are you familiar with the recent ECMWF upgrade?  I'm confused as to what was upgraded (the entire suite or just the ensembles)

11 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Hey, are you familiar with the recent ECMWF upgrade?  I'm confused as to what was upgraded (the entire suite or just the ensembles)

Description of upgrade

IFS Cycle 43r1 is an upgrade with many scientific contributions, including changes in data assimilation (both in the EDA and the 4DVAR); in the use of observations; and in modelling. Moreover, ENS hourly fields will be available up to T+90 for the Boundary Conditions optional program. See 'Impact on Users' below for further information. Please note that hourly ENS fields will not be added to the Real Time Catalogue.

With this cycle upgrade, the medium-range ensemble and its monthly extension see a major upgrade in the dynamical ocean model (NEMO): the resolution is increased from 1 degree and 42 layers to 0.25 degrees and 75 layers (ORCA025Z75). Furthermore, NEMO model version v3.4.1 with the interactive sea-ice model (LIM2) is implemented. The ocean and sea-ice components of the ENS initial conditions are provided by the new ocean analysis and reanalysis suite ORAS5, which uses the new ocean model and revised ensemble perturbation method.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

No I am not other than the Euro weeklies going out to 46 days now, I do believe there is a change coming in the op Euro as well.

20 hours ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

I meant because every run is  vastly different in the long range.

Been very consistent showing an active pattern. Lots of systems, some nice cutters. Not always snow for us but the western half of the sub should be excited. Can't expect fantasy range to be useful for looking at much more than large scale pattern shifts.

Its 240 hours out, but this image speaks for itself. 

ecmwf-ens_mslpa_nhem_11.png

Finally starting to see some ridging around the Aleutians, which would translate to a more -EPO/WPO pattern, as the Aleutian Low breaks down which has been hemming us from seeing any sustained cold anomalies across the entire continent. If you were to analyze the wind anomaly as well, you'd see a strong Pacific jet and thus would produce a stormy pattern in the region for the first 2 weeks of December atleast. In addition, we can see some weak ridging around Greenland which will help to produce some cold ahead of any storm system in the area. 

A more classic La Nina like pattern so to speak. 

Fun times, hopefully! 

There's a few entertaining members in the GEFS regarding the early to midweek period.  Nothing to really take seriously at this point but still being several days out with the various pieces of energy involved, wouldn't be surprised to see some significant adjustments.

Yeah, the Pacific seems to start cooperating next week, which is encouraging. I'm still not sold on anything more than seasonable cold and a few high cutters though, as the main PV and cold source stays away. The W. Hem cold pool is still anemic. We need that PV to swing over on this side of the hemisphere to really cash in on that pattern. If that would actually happen with an in-situ Nina gradient pattern, it could turn into some serious $$.

CFSv2 recently is developing that classic active Nina pattern for Dec with a dominant W trough, very neg temp anomalies over NW Canada, a SE ridge and a pronounced gradient through the Midwest, although just the fact of it being the CFS introduces some question into that. Reminds me of the 98-99 and 07-08 composites. I'm just glad to see an Aleutian ridge.

Yes, snow interests would get filled as well by shifting in the baroclinic zone.

17 minutes ago, andyhb said:

CFSv2 recently is developing that classic active Nina pattern for Dec with a dominant W trough, very neg temp anomalies over NW Canada, a SE ridge and a pronounced gradient through the Midwest, although just the fact of it being the CFS introduces some question into that. Reminds me of the 98-99 and 07-08 composites. I'm just glad to see an Aleutian ridge.

Yes, snow interests would get filled as well by shifting in the baroclinic zone.

Not to get into the whole regional battle thing but it really does look like more of a Plains/Midwest pattern than one that would favor the east coast.  Doesn't look like much of a -NAO to try to keep the southeast ridge from flexing.  Assuming this gradient pattern pans out, it could get frustrating for those looking for sustained cold/snowcover but it shouldn't be lacking in activity.

17 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Not to get into the whole regional battle thing but it really does look like more of a Plains/Midwest pattern than one that would favor the east coast.  Doesn't look like much of a -NAO to try to keep the southeast ridge from flexing.  Assuming this gradient pattern pans out, it could get frustrating for those looking for sustained cold/snowcover but it shouldn't be lacking in activity.

A lot of people were hinting at a good winter for this region especially the eastern lakes, might be a situation where the best stuff is nosed a bit west and is centered over the Great Lakes as a whole.

This has been a well-agreed-upon WPO/EPO cold dump into the Rockies for several days now on the ensembles. Have to like the odds of the pattern bearing fruit somewhere in the sub during the first half of December. For now any NAO blocking looks anemic or missing completely which bodes well for us. 

Archived