Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2016-2017 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Hoosier

5 hours ago, buckeye said:

I've been skimming around the different forums and reading from other forecasters that the brutal cold in Alaska and W.Canada means katy-bar-the-door for not only the central states, but us folks further east.   Really???

Maybe a met or 2 can chime in here but in my many weenie years of following weather, (and admittedly anecdotal), a brutal cold Alaska and W.Canada usually translates into winter purgatory for us folks from the OV on east...if not from the miss river on east.  

Am I wrong?  

Once that source is established, it's hard to keep it bottled up there indefinitely.  The question is how favorable the pattern will be in the east to allow for persistent cold. I said it before but I'd rather be in our region than most of the east.

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, KokomoWX said:

I really think this storm will not produce IMBY.

2016-12-01 15_13_14-Randy Ollis.png

I don't have much hope here either, at least for a significant snow.  We're probably gonna need a really strung out/late developing system but that would likely keep amounts in check anyway.  Hopefully somebody gets hit hard.

12z euro snowfall:

Highest synoptic snow in a swath that curves from Kansas City up through the Quad Cities and North through Central WI and the UP.

Amounts are in the 10 inch range for most areas further South, ~18 inches for Central WI and 30+ inches in parts of the UP, lower in the Keweenaw but Houghton still gets ~20 inches.

Western Michigan and Southern Ontario directly East of the lakes get 10-12 from lake effect, but SE Michigan, SW Ontario, and Northern Ohio get dry-slotted big time and the only snow is what trails the initial front.

14 minutes ago, Chitown Storm said:

MPX in their afternoon disco says 'nothing major happening in MN/WI' next week based on model trends. What trends? Kinda amateur hour considering there are numerous pieces of energy at play and no model consistency yet. 

Yeah that seems a bit premature considering the overall synoptic setup is prime for a big storm.

16 minutes ago, Chitown Storm said:

MPX in their afternoon disco says 'nothing major happening in MN/WI' next week based on model trends. What trends? Kinda amateur hour considering there are numerous pieces of energy at play and no model consistency yet. 

Just like how DVN went all-in on the euro solution, wouldn't do that because its been almost as bad as the GFS. Didn't even mention the main model, only the ensembles.

Quite a few of the 18z GEFS members were stronger/farther northwest than the op run with the early week storm, so it will be interesting to see if it trends that way.  I'm not sure it necessarily has a negative impact on what happens after... that early week setup is actually a relatively small thermal adjustment away from producing a band of paste of the northwest edge.

DVN seems pretty optimistic about the storm next week.  Mentions potential for 6+" of snow. 

Wednesday and Thursday...all trends support a moderate to possibly
very strong storm system to eject near or over the region. Local
track analogs suggest risk of several inches to well over 6 inches
of snow over much of the region before system moves northeast by
late Thursday is very possible and will be better known next 24 to
36 hours.  Local techniques also suggest 20 to 40+ MPH winds by
Thursday as low moves east with temperatures staying at or below
freezing for the precipitation event with teens or single digits by
Thursday and especially Thursday night.  Will emphasize the possible
significant snow event in HWO product.

22 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

The GFS has trended toward a very unfavorable flow for any kind of storm next week.  It is no longer digging the western energy at all, and it has a massive upper low centered over far southern Canada that dominates the pattern.  So, we get a big surge of cold, but no storm.

This would be the worst. Dry, boring, arctic air. Hopefully the system still shows signs of life on the Euro.

Archived