Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall/Winter Banter '16-'17

Carvers Gap

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Blue Ridge said:

On a somber note, two juveniles have been arrested and charged in connection with the Chimney Tops fire that spread to Gatlinburg. Unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note that I believe in second chances for minor offenses like pot and the like. This is a major felony. Charge them as adults. Try to pin them with murder, or at least man slaughter, for all the deaths. Go consecutive sentences, not parallel. I do not want to ever see them again.

Note that I believe in second chances for minor offenses like pot and the like. This is a major felony. Charge them as adults. Try to pin them with murder, or at least man slaughter, for all the deaths. Go consecutive sentences, not parallel. I do not want to ever see them again.

Ages of the accused have not been released. Given that the possibility of charging one or both as adults has been publicized, I assume they are within a year or two of the age of majority. In TN, I believe the lower age limit for transfer from juvenile court to adult court on general criminal charges is 16. However, if charged with murder, I believe there is no statutory lower age limit.

It will be interesting from a legal standpoint to see how this unfolds. Was this premeditated? Was the fire set with destructive intent? Were the accused aware of the favorable fire conditions? Etc. This is such a widely publicized tragedy that I'm sure prosecutors will be as aggressive as possible. Murder charges require proof of intent to kill. Involuntary manslaughter charges seem more likely to me.

Remember, the accused are innocent until proven guilty. Hopefully, the perpetrators are indeed in custody, evidence is strong, and criminal prosecution can be wrapped up with a guilty plea. FWIW, I agree that justice would best be served by "throwing the book" at the perpetrators - whatever the max "the book" grants given the facts/evidence/charges.

Also note that the accused and their families will assuredly face repercussions in civil court as well.

Note - not an attorney; just have a passive interest in law. Anyone with greater legal knowledge is free to correct me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Depends on how old they are i guess. What if they are 10 years old ?

8 hours ago, Runman292 said:

Hey, guys. I've returned from the dead, lol. How's everyone doing? I'm looking forward to seeing what this winter brings. :)

Glad to be reeling everyone back in.  Hoping someone scores a light event between the overrunning and arctic high pressing in.  Kind of a hail mary, but when isn't it in the south?

I can't help but think with the excellent snow pack to our north and west that we don't start getting in on the action within the next few weeks. That existing snow pack is a big player not only in reducing the modifications of south bound air masses, but also assisting in building stronger highs which will push the storm track further south. Unless we get a nina torch in January, I think we'll have several systems to track.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

If you spend time in other subforums you will notice people jump cliffs regarding "winter weather" in the month of December almost every year.  It happens in almost every forum, though I think our subforum is the most level headed on the board.  It's actually quite comical when you think about it.

There are claims from amateurs of methods working and methods not working. I am sure you have heard some of them........ The SAI can predict the AO, the SAI is a terrible predictor of the AO. La Nina means this, La Nina means that.  Sunspots are increasing, sunspots are decreasing, there are NO sunspots!  The NAO will likely average negative this year, the NAO will NEVER again average negative in my lifetime, it always snows in Texas and never snows here, The PDO will save us, why isn't the PDO saving us.  Wait, didn't I hear something about the WPO and the EPO?  Did you see the stratosphere at hour 782, man that thing is getting ripped to shreds!  Did you see the MJO?  Man, winter is really on it's way this time.  Sea ice this, sea ice that.  I seriously could go on and on here, but what is my point, right?

I know I am preaching to the choir, but do you know Domino's professes to make nearly 34 million different pizza combinations. (the actual number is much higher if you do the math).  All from 10 combinations of size and crust, 6 different amounts of cheese and 13 sauce choices, and 25 different toppings, each of which you can order in 6 different amounts.

How in the world is anyone supposed to accurately predict what will happen with regards to weather beyond days 5-7?

Archived