Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Hermine Impacts

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, seanick said:

What's the other option? Not cancel the plans? What if the storm played out as forecasted? Just write it off as a loss and be grateful it didn't happen. 

Well, I agree with you both.  The cancelled plans IMO were a good call by those who did, but unfortunately those who depend on Labor Day business will hurt by something that never happened.

What's the other option? Not cancel the plans? What if the storm played out as forecasted? Just write it off as a loss and be grateful it didn't happen. 

Not blaming. Trust me, I bought into it as well, sending out alerts to people that ask for my forecasts. It's just ashame how this played out on a major holiday.

4 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Looking at the latest imagery it appears there is a slight southeasterly component. It will be interesting to see if this is the start of a loop and a hook back north. Honestly there is no confidence in any of that at this point. 

Agree. It looks like it's starting to loop. Imho a little too late.

I can tell you, being in the public safety as I am its always better to err on the side of caution. Is it frustrating when a situation like this occurs? of course. But in all honestly there was no other option, there was just to much uncertainty and with it being a holiday weekend (the last true shore weekend of the season no less) it only compounded the situation. So its the obvious choice to put people lives and their safety first versus money or reputation even if the public doesn't feel the same way.

I can tell you, being in the public safety as I am its always better to err on the side of caution. Is it frustrating when a situation like this occurs? of course. But in all honestly there was no other option, there was just to much uncertainty and with it being a holiday weekend (the last true shore weekend of the season no less) it only compounded the situation. So its the obvious choice to put people lives and their safety first versus money or reputation even if the public doesn't feel the same way.

That's why it's our job not to care as much what the public thinks sometimes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

This was a no win situation. If it did hit the media would have a field day saying "we didn't learn the lessons of Sandy". A miss and it is a holiday weekend lost for nothing. There was really no choice but to post warnings just in case in this scenario. 

3 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Nice hit for SNE on the Nam

over 2 inches of rain for the coast of SNE

Serious question, what is the consensus of line between SNE and NNE.  NAM, FWIW, shows rain wind from CC to the Southern ME coast.  Is BOS and Portland, ME considered SNE?

1 hour ago, dmillz25 said:
9 minutes ago, ag3 said:

12z Rgem retrogrades storm all the way back to NJ and at a closer approach to LI/NYC.

was just about to mention this and I agree a bit too late

Why not......everything else with this storm has been wonky -- maybe it'll hang on to it Westward motion after the loop and wind up right back where it was progged.

All in all this shows that complex systems still are not handled by any model that well......as for the Euro, it sucked just like all of the others.  Just because is sniffed that further east motion, doesn't give a pass from wavering hundreds of miles run-to-run in the runs prior to yesterday.

Lets just see what the radar and next model run shows (more radar than model at this point IMO)

1 hour ago, Bacon Strips said:

omg.  :facepalm:

Actually you're the one I'm shaking my head at. You spent the entire week in the tropical thread posting and saying everything bad that was going to happen to the shore with this and when you realize it's not gonna happen you come to the NYC subforum and tell everyone that their in over their heads and the euro wins. 

The euro did NOT win in my mind. As others have pointed out before it was horrible for most of the storm until yesterday (24 hours out). It had hermine making landfall in south jersey and the Delmarva for a couple of runs. It did not win. You're wrong, again!

2 hours ago, Bacon Strips said:

It was mentioned here first (yesterday) from satellite obs , that the Euro beat all others out.  Some recognized it, others would rather wishcast. 

On the other hand, could you imagine what forecasters would of went with yesterday without the 12z euro run ? Hurricane warnings could of been issued...only for them to be removed today.  Euro helped prevent a lot of embarrassment. 

It still is.  It destroyed all models yesterday.  Including the hurricane ones. 

Euro was God awful with this even from 2 weeks ago

1 hour ago, ag3 said:

EURO LOST THE 12Z SOLUTION ON ITS 0z RUN.

On the 0z run, it retrogrades Hermine hundreds of miles NW from hours 24-48, brining rains into LI and as far west as NYC.

Thats not even close to happening.

Stop justifying it. Terrible performance.

Still, it got the "concept" right and was the closest to verifying for the track up until the retrograde, no? I'm not a met and I fully understand that it didn't get the complete solution and didn't get the solution mile-by-mile, but to say it was "terrible"? Isn't part of being a meteorologist using the various model solutions together with one's skill and knowledge and other tools such as water vapor imagery and radar to "complete" the forecast to the best of their ability? It seems to me that the Euro did the best with this storm for us in the NYC area thus far.

The model hugging that goes on here to try to justify the worst case scenario boggles my mind. We had people at one point singling out the HWRF because it had Hermine at the lowest barometric pressures.

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived