Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Hermine Impacts

Zelocita Weather

2 minutes ago, allgame830 said:

What does the wind field look like as it approaches LI and moves SW?

It's still decent as it approaches...max winds both decline rapidly and the field shrinks just as its getting there...if this happened verbatim I'd guess a few hours of solid TS winds on the eastern tip but falling off pretty quick after that...this sure would give forecasters more fits if it came to pass lol...I'd post some images but I haven't been active here in a while and don't know the active policy

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, NJHurricane said:

It's still decent as it approaches...max winds both decline rapidly and the field shrinks just as its getting there...if this happened verbatim I'd guess a few hours of solid TS winds on the eastern tip but falling off pretty quick after that...this sure would give forecasters more fits if it came to pass lol...I'd post some images but I haven't been active here in a while and don't know the active policy

That is a point well taken.  Even sitting out over 75+ F water and w/o any genuine obstructions to its circulation; EVERY cyclone eventually undergoes what is meteorologically deemed "filling"...denoting a rise in barometric pressure at its center.  The dynamism that fueled the hurricane diminishes; the lifting process eventually slackens; and things simply and naturally fall apart over the mere passage of time.

Hurricanes are actually fairly delicate entities; that is why they are not rocketing around the oceans of the earth 24 / 7.  The factors I mentioned above do not even account for moving into an unfavorable wind field; which is invariably the main source of a hurricane's premature demise.

4 minutes ago, Pamela said:

That is a point well taken.  Even sitting out over 75+ F water and w/o any genuine obstructions to its circulation; EVERY cyclone eventually undergoes what is meteorologically deemed "filling"...denoting a rise in barometric pressure at its center.  The lifting process eventually slackens; and things simply and naturally fall apart over the mere passage of time.

Seems like it happens rapidly, check it out on the NCEP page...it's probably fiction in the end being the NAM 

I know most are pretty disappointed and I get it, but love days like these. Beautiful late summer weather with huge surf hitting the beaches. eailer I mentioned that this storm reminded me of Felix 95, but the swell and the rip were a lot more like Eduard 96. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Edouard_(1996)#/media/File%3AEdouard_1996_track.png. The rip from east to west on the beach was like 6-7mph. Which doesn't sound like a lot but if you watched someone paddle out into the surf you basically had to jog along the beach to keep up with them.  

4 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

could you relax with the trolling, you're not paying attention to current trends.  you make it sound like you're just looking up at the sky and making your forecast.

You can't be serious.  I posted clear hard facts about Hermine's position and the near impossibility of it ever being a major impact on our area and wondering why the NHC hadn't dropped the TS Warnings yet - a few hours after which they finally did, for all but eastern LI and SE New England, as I predicted - and I'm the troll?  Yeah.  Between you and NJwx85 and a few others, this subforum has almost become unreadable.  Maybe stop hugging the outlier model runs that match your meteorological fantasies and use some common sense.  

23 minutes ago, Bacon Strips said:

^we'll see if you're right, hows that?    

I feel they'll need to be re-added.  But time will tell.

any update with that cruise ship?  didn't look like 20 foot seas like he was saying. 

check out these winds guys.  just off the coast .  850mb level.  current obs.

The NHC adjusted their track further eastward with their 11 pm package and dropped almost all of the TS warnings, probably 12 hours too late.  Are you telling me you know more than they do, because you've looked at the crappy NAM?  It's over.  Accept it and move on.  

6 minutes ago, Pamela said:

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

thank you.  and yup I saw it.  ^_^

The NHC adjusted their track further eastward with their 11 pm package and dropped almost all of the TS warnings, probably 12 hours too late.  Are you telling me you know more than they do, because you've looked at the crappy NAM?  It's over.  Accept it and move on.  

Just keeping up with the latest trends , obs, and models.  

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Mmmmkay? 

Keep in mind, these solutions which spin Hermine back way west spend up most of its energy and it arrives back with breezy conditions and some showers. It won't come back as a 70-75 mph storm. Eventually it'll stack and/or upwell cold water and be done anyway. 

Getting interesting again.

Euro is way west and this depiction would still bring some rain and wind.

56 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Mmmmkay? 

Keep in mind, these solutions which spin Hermine back way west spend up most of its energy and it arrives back with breezy conditions and some showers. It won't come back as a 70-75 mph storm. Eventually it'll stack and/or upwell cold water and be done anyway. 

Verbatim that's what all these new west solutions show...what would be interesting is if it reacquires more tropical characteristics/or deepens more than shown while following such a track...hanging onto that robust wind field another 12-18 hours would be a big difference for many on LI

well one thing is for certain,this storm is no baby anymore. one might have to ask how long till alerts go back out,less then 24 hours and all i'm hearing is meh. also of note this time yesterday everyone (except a few including myself) stayed in the eastern conus solution,clearly it's coming west and pretty strong at that..hermine has a mind of it's own at this point!!

• Rjay locked this topic

Archived