joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 2016 General Discussion

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I could see you living in San Diego one day.  Other than lack of snow, what's not to like? :lol:

Haha, I'm not sure total weather boredom is my preference. Plus, I need my snow/cold fix. :guitar:

I mean, I enjoy all types of weather...except for the obvious. But, we've discussed this before...95˚/60˚ is much more manageable than 85˚/70˚. Having worked many 10+ hour days outside this summer, pretty much sealed that thought for me. The excessive rainfall here of the past two summers has just been stupid. Still enjoy a good t'storm, but the repeated flooding events have grown tiresome. Alas, weather going to do what weather going to do. I'll survive no matter what. :D   

26 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Folks have been repeating that every week since the first week of September.

Yet, that "pretty good cool down" ever actually gets here. :lol:

It's remarkable how persistent the warmth has been since the 4th of July. And the week ahead looks to continue the trend.

At CLE, since the 4th of July, only 6 out of the past 76 days had a negative departure, the coldest being just -4.  We haven't been able to string more than 2 days together with a negative departure since before the 4th of July. To go over 2.5 months without any real "cool spells" is just insane. I'm trying to envision what the reverse would be like, if we were to have 2.5 months where 92% of the days were at or below normal, it would certainly be much more newsworthy.

23 minutes ago, Trent said:

It's remarkable how persistent the warmth has been since the 4th of July. And the week ahead looks to continue the trend.

At CLE, since the 4th of July, only 6 out of the past 76 days had a negative departure, the coldest being just -4.  We haven't been able to string more than 2 days together with a negative departure since before the 4th of July. To go over 2.5 months without any real "cool spells" is just insane. I'm trying to envision what the reverse would be like, if we were to have 2.5 months where 92% of the days were at or below normal, it would certainly be much more newsworthy.

I think we may have had something close to that in 2014 or 2015. I'll have to confirm.

It wasn't quite newsworthy, but everyone was complaining about how it wasn't even warm enough to go to the beach or out on their boats (at all).

32 minutes ago, Stebo said:

#cooldown. If this is any indication of a cool down, I would hate to see what a warm up would be.

In fact, if this September ended yesterday, it would be the 2nd warmest on record for Detroit.

Only one September so far has featured a 70*F+ average. It'll be interesting if we can achieve the same with this September. 

1 minute ago, Powerball said:

In fact, if this September ended yesterday, it would be the 2nd warmest on record for Detroit.

Only one September so far has featured a 70*F+ average. It'll be interesting if we can achieve the same with this September. 

70 might be pushing it but I do see a lot of positive days ahead, all week really looks much above normal.

30 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Dew points have been still much above normal lately, currently 65 dew.

Another interesting thing about this Sempteber is that we have yet to see a sub-70*F high and a sub-50*F.

While probably not quite record-breaking, I'm sure that would quite unusual for us to end this month without both happening.

Just now, Powerball said:

Another interesting thing about this Sempteber is that we have yet to see a sub-70*F high and a sub-50*F.

While probably not quite record-breaking, I'm sure that would quite unusual for us to end this month without both happening.

Yes it would considering both are normal by the end of the month.

6 hours ago, Powerball said:

If you isolate just Sept 1-17, then this years temp of 69.8F only places as tied for 26th warmest September 1-17th period. Obviously a month of change. Not the biggest 1st to last day of the month change (that award goes to November), but definitely summer turning to Fall. It will be warm this week but then should cool down.

Only 1 September has failed to have a high below 70F, and that was 1881. Only 2 Septembers have failed to have a low of 49F or colder, and that was 1881 and 1933. But again...2 weeks to go, way too early to speculate that, especially with cooler weather moving in.

Euro/GFS are showing 15C temps at 850mb around Detroit, London ON, Buffalo, and Boston on Friday/Saturday. So far, NWS keeping things a little conservative with the warmest highs of 80-81 around some of these areas. I wonder if a few 86-90 temps might happen south of I-90 on Friday/Satruday

1 hour ago, Chinook said:

Euro/GFS are showing 15C temps at 850mb around Detroit, London ON, Buffalo, and Boston on Friday/Saturday. So far, NWS keeping things a little conservative with the warmest highs of 80-81 around some of these areas. I wonder if a few 86-90 temps might happen south of I-90 on Friday/Satruday

There's some question as far as cloud cover and wind direction (an ESE surface wind, which is progged currently, would significantly stunt mixing heights). 

3 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Passing mid-month and not even a faint hit of color change occurring yet. Perfect.

Should stay that way till the end of the month.

The trees for the most part are still lush green here.

There are few patches of that gold tint starting to show up, but you literally have to look really hard to spot them. 

2 hours ago, Powerball said:

There's some question as far as cloud cover and wind direction (an ESE surface wind, which is progged currently, would significantly stunt mixing heights). 

Yes, I'm sure that forecasting some near record-breaking temperatures 6 days in advance is not too smart in most cases. Just throwing it out there. Central/Western states forum is quite slow. We gotta get some snowstorms or monster hurricanes or tornado outbreaks, because this forum is snoozers.

Yeah leaves around here haven't changed any yet.  A few of the typical early changers have shown some color, like the walnuts and Cottonwoods.  Those can turn as early as August, so they don't really count.  Ashes are probably the earliest turners among the members of the colorful foliage family around here.  They're all still green at this point.  Other than a few days in the 70s and dews in the 50s, September has basically been like another Summer month.

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah leaves around here haven't changed any yet.  A few of the typical early changers have shown some color, like the walnuts and Cottonwoods.  Those can turn as early as August, so they don't really count.  Ashes are probably the earliest turners among the members of the colorful foliage family around here.  They're all still green at this point.  Other than a few days in the 70s and dews in the 50s, September has basically been like another Summer month.

cool, albeit warmer than normal nights and sunny, mild days have the color show well on its way... especially in the higher terrain and inland areas..  Out riding my quad this weekend and got caught in a downpour. snapped this pic right before.

sept1716.JPGIMG_0462.JPG

5 hours ago, weatherbo said:

cool, albeit warmer than normal nights and sunny, mild days have the color show well on its way... especially in the higher terrain and inland areas..  Out riding my quad this weekend and got caught in a downpour. snapped this pic right before.

Nice.  Definitely starting to look fall-like up there.

11 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

The longer it waits the more dramatic it will be when we finally get a major push of cold.  Maybe it will help spin up a big fall storm in the process.  

Very typical of incoming LA Nina falls, I would almost expect a major fall storm at some point this fall.

20 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Very typical of incoming LA Nina falls, I would almost expect a major fall storm at some point this fall.

Great, love a good fall wind storm to usher in the cold season. Those windy house-creaking nights are some of my favourites. And obviously some fall severe is fun to track. 

Aside from the corn being completely dried out and ready to harvest and not to mention pumpkin flavored everything hitting the stores, if I didn't know any better I would say it's late may/early June vegetation wise. The grass, trees and shrubs are all a deep lush green everything looks incredibly healthy and lively. 

The lingering effects of the super Nino are definitely being felt, Lower 48 has been incredibly warm, not to mention Alaska has been on fire. Excited for this winter, the analog pool was already small to begin with, if we remain enso neutral, that narrows things down even more. 

Archived