joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
September 2016 General Discussion

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Dewpoint currently in the 70s here.  NAM/GFS peak us around 75-76 Tue/Wed and even Thu.  At this point I see little reason to doubt those values as if anything, moisture depth/quality gets better in the coming days.

Yep, even I was a bit concerned when I said we'd hit mid 70 dews late last week for this week. Looks like my concern was for naught.

34 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

CIPS has 08/23/07 as the top analog for the possible upcoming severe weather,I remember that event vividly for some reason.

IT was a multi-day event, possibly amongst one of the favorites for everyone in our subforum.

8/23/07 featured a derecho that tracked from Iowa early that morning to Detroit late that evening, while the next day (8/24/07) featured another severe squall line that formed in MI around midday and tracked all the way to Toronto / Buffalo during the evening hours. 

I recall seeing a rotating wall cloud that day, for the first time ever. 

2 hours ago, Stebo said:

Personally, I like warm all the way to Oct 20th, then we can switch to cold, warm falls are usually pretty awesome.

I think the best part of fall is the cooler dry air. As long as it isn't wall to wall clouds, how is hot more enjoyable than mid 60's? I'm not sure if you are trolling the board with this stuff or seriously enjoy sweating. Golfing, fishing, hiking, breathing... It's all better when it's cooler (normal) than mid summer temps.

I skip all MSU games that the temp is over 75F, unless the opponent is amazing. It's just not enjoyable baking in heat during a sport that is known to be played in cooler temps (in the north). I went to a MSU - Minnesota game in late September a few years ago, it was 80F and we were completely miserable. 

1 hour ago, Jonger said:

I think the best part of fall is the cooler dry air. As long as it isn't wall to wall clouds, how is hot more enjoyable than mid 60's? I'm not sure if you are trolling the board with this stuff or seriously enjoy sweating. Golfing, fishing, hiking, breathing... It's all better when it's cooler (normal) than mid summer temps.

Warm by October is 70s... If you are sweating in the 70s you might want to get your health checked.

8 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Warm by October is 70s... If you are sweating in the 70s you might want to get your health checked.

Hey now, all 70s aren't equal.  If you also have dews in the 60s or 70s then it's not that difficult to start sweating if you are doing any type of physical activity.

36 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Hey now, all 70s aren't equal.  If you also have dews in the 60s or 70s then it's not that difficult to start sweating if you are doing any type of physical activity.

A Dry 85F is more comfortable than a humid 75F. 

A hot September is fine, but an overly warm October just seems to waste the best weather of the year.

Looks like the NWS issued a Heat Advisory for St. Louis.

An argument could also be made to include a number of other areas in this heat advisory, but it's going to depend on whether the model progged dewpoints verify and also if any cloud cover puts a lid on the high temperature potential. 

Hit 88 today.  Goose eggs for precip for the month.  Has been hard to put more than a day or two without precip together the last month or so.  This was a fantastic Labor Day weekend weatherwise.  Mild with low humidity the first few days, and a warm and humid day to make swimming/boating more pleasant today.  

If we hit 90 tomorrow it will be our first 90 degree day since July 24.  Hard to believe it's been well over a month since we've hit a legit 90.  As extreme as the humidity has been that fun fact escaped me until now.

EDIT:  MLI only had one 90 degree day in August, and DVN was skunked like us.

6 hours ago, Stebo said:

Dews in the 70s in October though? :lol:

I looked it up out of curiosity when I was doing some September research for Chicago and found that 70s dews have occurred in Chicago in October.  I would imagine it's pretty uncommon and not sure if it's happened around Detroit.

Archived