SnowHabit
August 24 Indiana/Ohio Tornado Outbreak

Indystorm

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Sharpsville, IN tornado video.

(this is not the tornado that went through Kokomo contrary to the header)

Unreal video. Wish he kept filming it looked like it hit its widest point at end of video after weakening across the highway. Was in the Tropical thread and didn't think anything would be happening tornadic wise today. Saw 9 new pages and just caught up on everything, thanks for the updates as always.

We'll have to see what this looks like once the surveys are completed, but you can just get the general sense that today has put up some impressive tornado numbers by August standards and it will probably rank pretty high on the list of non-tropical induced tornado outbreaks in the month of August in the U.S.

I was keeping in touch with my parents in Toledo as this was going on. Unfortunately I didn't have my GRLevel3 to be able to look at these storms on storm-relative velocity. Thanks to you guys I knew the tornadoes crossing into OH were confirmed. That helped a little. As per the SPC storm reports, there has been a tornado at 1 mile north of Whitehouse. That's close to my favorite park (Oak Openings)

1 minute ago, KokomoWX said:

What a day for Kokomo/Howard County.  Interestingly many of the homes affected during the 11/17 tornado a few years ago were in the path of the first storm.  Very chaotic tracing multiple tornadoes on the ground.  More than 1/2 the county without power....

Everything is fine with your location? Was wondering when you'd check in.

Wow! What a day. I've never witnessed anything close to this. I caught the first Kokomo storm east of Marion in Grant County. A tree scraping wall cloud that dropped a brief tornado. Followed it northeast into Wells County where it dropped another brief tornado, only damaging trees. Followed it to Adams County where it dropped another tornado. Law enforcement had the area blocked so I couldn't stay on it.

I have never seen such violent rotation in my life.

I had to get back to Huntington Co anyway since I am the Skywarn director there and another warned storm was coming in from Miami Co. A firefighter caught a brief video on a tornado on the ground in the western part of the county and I intercepted it as it was heading out of the county. This storm also had violent rotation and dropped a tornado just west of Zanesville, only staying on the ground for a minute. I then watched the wall cloud pass right over FWA with a brief funnel hanging under it.

Our area was lucky that we were spared the major damage suffered in the surrounding areas.

I will review my massive amount of dash cam video and post anything interesting that showed up. I not really into stopping and photographing, as my first responsibility is reporting location and direction and staying on it.

4 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Everything is fine with your location? Was wondering when you'd check in.

My home and neighborhood is unscathed.  My schools (work) are fine but without power.  The big generator I installed last summer for the data center/corp office is purring away.  I am so thankful.

Locally we had nothing but minor injuries.  Very amazing.

Just now, KokomoWX said:

My home and neighborhood is unscathed.  My schools (work) are fine but without power.  The big generator I installed last summer for the data center/corp office is purring away.  I am so thankful.

Locally we had nothing but minor injuries.  Very amazing.

That is great to hear considering how bad things were locally.

38 minutes ago, KokomoWX said:

What a day for Kokomo/Howard County.  Interestingly many of the homes affected during the 11/17 tornado a few years ago were in the path of the first storm.  Very chaotic tracing multiple tornadoes on the ground.  More than 1/2 the county without power....

Is your sense that the damage in town is worse/more widespread than 11/17/2013?  I was trying to figure out where this would rank for Kokomo and was wondering if you'd have to go back to the 4/11/65 tornado to find something worse. 

Archived