• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
August 24 Indiana/Ohio Tornado Outbreak

Indystorm

Is your sense that the damage in town is worse/more widespread than 11/17/2013?  I was trying to figure out where this would rank for Kokomo and was wondering if you'd have to go back to the 4/11/65 tornado to find something worse. 

The damage seems much larger. While Kokomo suffered damage and is making a lot of news, there are a lot of farms and crops damaged around the county. My early guess is there is less commercial damage this time than last. Of course some of the areas are still vacant lots where his storm hit again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, KokomoWX said:

The damage seems much larger. While Kokomo suffered damage and is making a lot of news, there are a lot of farms and crops damaged around the county. My early guess is there is less commercial damage this time than last. Of course some of the areas are still vacant lots where his storm hit again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, thanks

Hell of a day.  Glad you're alright.

52 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Wow! What a day. I've never witnessed anything close to this. I caught the first Kokomo storm east of Marion in Grant County. A tree scraping wall cloud that dropped a brief tornado. Followed it northeast into Wells County where it dropped another brief tornado, only damaging trees. Followed it to Adams County where it dropped another tornado. Law enforcement had the area blocked so I couldn't stay on it.

I have never seen such violent rotation in my life.

I had to get back to Huntington Co anyway since I am the Skywarn director there and another warned storm was coming in from Miami Co. A firefighter caught a brief video on a tornado on the ground in the western part of the county and I intercepted it as it was heading out of the county. This storm also had violent rotation and dropped a tornado just west of Zanesville, only staying on the ground for a minute. I then watched the wall cloud pass right over FWA with a brief funnel hanging under it.

Our area was lucky that we were spared the major damage suffered in the surrounding areas.

I will review my massive amount of dash cam video and post anything interesting that showed up. I not really into stopping and photographing, as my first responsibility is reporting location and direction and staying on it.

Awesome, can't wait to see the video!

This is the second time this month I feared for my life.  Not from the storms but from rookie redneck scud chasers.  Once again it was insane.  These weren't storms moving at highway speeds, and a lot of the mesos were rain wrapped.  I literally was more scared from the idiots flying by me at 60 mph on country roads chasing scud than any of the storms.  There was no reason to "chase" per se, position yourself, let these 20 to 30 mph storms come to you. Freaking crazy out there.  Doesn't make chasing fun.  This isn't Oklahoma or Nebraska with wide open spaces and roads very little traveled..  If this pattern continues into the fall, when Indiana tornadoes tend to spike and literally move at 50 or 60 mph(As Hoosier said, you dont chase tornadoes in Indiana, they chase you), these idiots are going to kill someone. I could care less if they kill themselves due to their own stupidity.  Ive been chasing when I can for 30 some years, always learning always being responsible.  I've been within a quarter mile of an EF4.  Being a private pilot I had my alternates already set.  Just not enjoyable at all.  

On another note, I did get some good views of some wall clouds, some nice mesos.  The upper level SE jet was just ripping, evacuating all the updrafts as they rose.  These storms were tilted crazy.  All in all, this has been a crazy August in these parts when its usually sweat, lightning bugs, cadydids, and the infamous heat lightning in the evenings lol

Tornado warnings issued by office:

IND:  27

IWX: 26

CLE:  4

ILN:  1

Since the NWS officially went to storm based polygons/warnings in 2007, the 27 tornado warnings issued by IND is the 2nd most issued by that office in one day (May 25, 2011 is #1).  The 26 tornado warnings issued by IWX is the most issued by that office in one day.  

Snippet from Wikipedia:

A significant outbreak impacted the states of Indiana,Northwestern Ohio and Southwestern Ontario in the afternoon and evening of August 24, with 35 tornadoes being reported. This outbreak was largely unforecasted with only a marginal risk of severe weather forecasted over the majority of the outbreak area. A large cone tornado caused significant damage in the city of Kokomo, Indiana, demolishing several retail buildings and earning a preliminary rating of EF3.

Another tornado hit near the towns of Cecil,Napoleon and Liberty Center, Ohio. These mostly stayed outside towns but one did hit the town ofDefiance, Ohio.

In Indiana a tornado touched down near the town ofCrawfordsville, Indiana. Another touched down in Van Wert, Ohio.

Another tornado spawned by the same system touched down in the Detroit River betweenWyandotte, Michigan and La Salle, Ontario at around 7:00 PM local time. Upon reaching La Salle, the tornado damaged several homes, before travelling into Windsor, Ontario, causing extensive damage to noise barriers along E. C. Row Expressway, and to several factories along that highway and on the east end of the city. Three people were reported to suffer minor injuries, but there were no fatalities reported

6 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

This is the second time this month I feared for my life.  Not from the storms but from rookie redneck scud chasers.  Once again it was insane.  These weren't storms moving at highway speeds, and a lot of the mesos were rain wrapped.  I literally was more scared from the idiots flying by me at 60 mph on country roads chasing scud than any of the storms.  There was no reason to "chase" per se, position yourself, let these 20 to 30 mph storms come to you. Freaking crazy out there.  Doesn't make chasing fun.  This isn't Oklahoma or Nebraska with wide open spaces and roads very little traveled..  If this pattern continues into the fall, when Indiana tornadoes tend to spike and literally move at 50 or 60 mph(As Hoosier said, you dont chase tornadoes in Indiana, they chase you), these idiots are going to kill someone. I could care less if they kill themselves due to their own stupidity.  Ive been chasing when I can for 30 some years, always learning always being responsible.  I've been within a quarter mile of an EF4.  Being a private pilot I had my alternates already set.  Just not enjoyable at all.  

On another note, I did get some good views of some wall clouds, some nice mesos.  The upper level SE jet was just ripping, evacuating all the updrafts as they rose.  These storms were tilted crazy.  All in all, this has been a crazy August in these parts when its usually sweat, lightning bugs, cadydids, and the infamous heat lightning in the evenings lol

Agree 100% with everything. A lot of these people don't have a clue what they're looking at/for. I enjoy watching a severe storm as much as the next guy, but as a public safety official, my number one job is assisting NWS and the media in getting the word out for impending severe weather in a specific location. It's hard to do my job with yahoos trying to run over me.

8 hours ago, andyhb said:

Was just about to post this. Needless to say, it's fortunate that thing didn't touch down in the middle of Fort Wayne.

That Windsor tornado was a pretty mean looking SOB too.

Jesus, that thing in Windsor was huge, it is a damn good thing it went through an industrial area vs the city or on this side of the river in the suburbs.

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

Jesus, that thing in Windsor was huge, it is a damn good thing it went through an industrial area vs the city or on this side of the river in the suburbs.

Drove through the region an hour after the storm, damage was very impressive with many large industrial buildings torn apoart... EC is under such scrutiny today for dropping the ball wrt Warning criteria on this one. Took 18 min before they issued a statement after the first touch down in La Salle ontario. Tornado re formed on the back side of windor airport about 500 yards from the runways edge. Worst of all EC can't say for certain  the damage was from a tornado.  

Prelim rating of EF-3 in Allen County, IN

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Northern Indiana
150 PM EDT THU AUG 25 2016 /1250 PM CDT THU AUG 25 2016/

...Preliminary Damage Survey Results...

The National Weather Service in Northern Indiana has two teams
currently conducting damage surveys in northeast Indiana and
northwest Ohio.

...Adams County Indiana...
At this time we have confirmed that a tornado did occur in Adams
county on Wednesday evening. The tornado lifted numerous times
as it moved eastward and damage is consistent with winds of 90 to
100 MPH. On the Enhanced Fujita Scale this is rated as an EF-1
tornado.

...Allen County Indiana...
The survey team has been carefully working through the damage
area in Allen County and has identified that a tornado has
occurred. The exact intensity is not certain at this time as the
team is still assessing the type and degree of damage. At this
point the damage is consistent with wind speeds of 135 to 160
mph. This would be a preliminary rating of EF-3.

The damage from this storm extends into Ohio and additional survey
team has been deployed to begin the damage assessment process from
the Ohio side. This team will be working south and west to help
complete the ground survey.

...Surveys to Continue...
It is likely that a complete damage survey will take multiple
days to complete. Additionally...the NWS has scheduled a flyover
to obtain aerial evidence and to fill in any gaps that may not be
visible from the ground.

More details on the path length...intensity and width will be made
available as our teams work to complete this research. All data
presented is considered preliminary and subject to change.

$$

Michael Lewis
Warning Coordination Meteorologist
NWS Northern Indiana

It's rare to see an event as big as yesterday sneak up on forecasters.  As mentioned, the only case I can think of in this region that even remotely compares is the 4/20/04 outbreak in IL/IN.  Here is a comparison of the tornado probability outlooks for each event.

aug.gif 

2004.gif

apr2004.png

36 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

It's rare to see an event as big as yesterday sneak up on forecasters.  As mentioned, the only case I can think of in this region that even remotely compares is the 4/20/04 outbreak in IL/IN.  Here is a comparison of the tornado probability outlooks for each event.

aug.gif 

2004.gif

apr2004.png

Really, I don't get why the SPC didn't do a special outlook upgrade when the outbreak got underway. They have made this same mistake multiple times during surprise events.

2 hours ago, DAFF said:

Drove through the region an hour after the storm, damage was very impressive with many large industrial buildings torn apoart... EC is under such scrutiny today for dropping the ball wrt Warning criteria on this one. Took 18 min before they issued a statement after the first touch down in La Salle ontario. Tornado re formed on the back side of windor airport about 500 yards from the runways edge. Worst of all EC can't say for certain  the damage was from a tornado.  

If they can't say for certain that was a tornado they need to never do a survey again. I will say this, this entire metro is lucky that the tornado hit where it did. any other spot in Canada or on this side of the river, it would have been a catastrophic disaster.

56 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

Really, I don't get why the SPC didn't do a special outlook upgrade when the outbreak got underway. They have made this same mistake multiple times during surprise events.

Once the event is ongoing their focus is more on mesoscale discussion and watch issuance.

Allen County tornado is preliminarily 160mph

..Allen County Indiana Update Preliminary EF-3 Tornado...

The survey team has been carefully working through the damage
area in Allen County and has identified that a tornado has
occurred. A team of storm damage experts from across the National
Weather Service have reviewed the collected data and have
concluded that the damage located 3 miles northeast of Woodburn
Indiana is consistent with 160 MPH winds. 

Winds of this speed are associated with tornado ratings of EF-3. 

Several areas of damage have been identified throughout northwest
Ohio and the survey teams continue to collect ground-based
information.

Archived