SnowHabit
August 24 Indiana/Ohio Tornado Outbreak

Indystorm

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, andyhb said:

It wasn't a house.

Oh. :lol: Thanks. Still really impressive scouring though. I'm not experienced in damage photos but if you told me it was EF-5 scouring I wouldn't disbelieve it. I was amazed at the amount of scrutinization that goes on with determining strength from pictures like this over on another forum... people were coming up with things I wouldn't have begun to think of, like the type of soil, what was growing in the field, depth of scouring, etc. Gave me a headache.

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

If we go down this "could've been EF5" road for a moment, one that may qualify is Henryville.  I don't remember if it was Simon Brewer or somebody else who was describing some of the intense, non-structural damage with that one.

One of my favorite videos ever comes from the Henryville tornado (language warning btw).

2 minutes ago, Tater Tot said:

One of my favorite videos ever comes from the Henryville tornado (language warning btw).

That tree just getting catapulted out of the funnel on the right side almost straight downwards at around 19 seconds in is one of the more amazing things I've seen in a tornado video.

7 minutes ago, Tater Tot said:

Oh. :lol: Thanks. Still really impressive scouring though. I'm not experienced in damage photos but if you told me it was EF-5 scouring I wouldn't disbelieve it. I was amazed at the amount of scrutinization that goes on with determining strength from pictures like this over on another forum... people were coming up with things I wouldn't have begun to think of, like the type of soil, what was growing in the field, depth of scouring, etc. Gave me a headache.

Yeah that's a good one.  I'm partial to the neighborhood videos as you can really get a sense for how strong the winds are at the person's location.  I get a laugh over how that tree falls over after the winds have calmed down a bit.

2 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Here are a couple of short videos of a strongly rotating wall cloud just southwest of FWA from my dash cam. I didn't have my camera on when I first spotted the funnel extending from it because I had been filming the Kokomo cell for a long time in Grant, Wells, and Adams counties and was about out ofstorage.

I saw it extend below the tops of the trees, so I called it a tornado. Additionally, at least two other spotters with different views also indicated that it touched down. However, IWX could find no damage, so no tornado.

Still, it's not too often you get a good look at multiple, violently rotating wall clouds, funnels and tornadoes in Indiana. I have some more video that I will upload later, but IWX wanted to see these, so they were the first that I uploaded. Sorry for the shaky picture, loose cam, rough roads, and bad shocks.

Nice vids!

1 hour ago, andyhb said:

That tree just getting catapulted out of the funnel on the right side almost straight downwards at around 19 seconds in is one of the more amazing things I've seen in a tornado video.

Oh wow I've never noticed that before.  That was crazy.

I've always laughed at how you see that white lawn chair bouncing around in the street on the left side of the vid around the 4-6 second range, and then go tearing ass towards the tornado into the neighboring houses in the 19-21 second range.

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah that's a good one.  I'm partial to the neighborhood videos as you can really get a sense for how strong the winds are at the person's location.  I get a laugh over how that tree falls over after the winds have calmed down a bit.

Have you seen this one?  Mazen

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Oh wow I've never noticed that before.  That was crazy.

I've always laughed at how you see that white lawn chair bouncing around in the street on the left side of the vid around the 4-6 second range, and then go tearing ass towards the tornado into the neighboring houses in the 19-21 second range.

I would say there was a bit of inflow there into the tornado, just a bit though :lol:

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Haha yeah.  Looks like that tree took two very powerful gusts that probably caused it's demise.  Around the 17 sec mark it gets smoked by a powerful gust that breaks a large section on the right side of the tree from our perspective.  You can see it breaks but doesn't fall off the tree.  Then, at the 20 sec mark the tree gets hit with a very powerful gust that lasts several seconds, and you can see the angle of the trunk change as the whole thing gets pushed to the right.  Probably did lots of damage to the root system during that 3-4 second gust.  After that the tree was screwed.

21 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Haha yeah.  Looks like that tree took two very powerful gusts that probably caused it's demise.  Around the 17 sec mark it gets smoked by a powerful gust that breaks a large section on the right side of the tree from our perspective.  You can see it breaks but doesn't fall off the tree.  Then, at the 20 sec mark the tree gets hit with a very powerful gust that lasts several seconds, and you can see the angle of the trunk change as the whole thing gets pushed to the right.  Probably did lots of damage to the root system during that 3-4 second gust.  After that the tree was screwed.

You can see a power pole emerge from behind the upper portion of the trunk as that huge gust hits at the 20 sec mark.  Really shows how much the angle of the trunk changed during the course of that gust.  That was right around the time the "ghost train" was passing through, or just a little north of where the tree was located.  The core of the "ghost train" probably passed a few hundred yards to the north.  I'm guessing the gust that hit the tree in the 20-24 sec range was probably at least 70mph.

Calendar days with 5 or more F2/EF2+ tornadoes in the U.S. during August.  You can see the decreasing frequency over the years, possibly in part due to changes in how tornadoes are rated.

8/6/1962

8/22/1964

8/29/1964

8/25/1965

8/6/1969

8/9/1969

8/3/1970

8/19/1974

8/10/1980

8/16/1985

8/16/1994

8/29/2005

8/24/2006

8/24/2016

After having complained about lack of severe weather all season, I'd say Wednesday's outbreak sufficiently made up for things. There were 11 confirmed tornadoes across the state of Ohio on Wednesday, ten of which came from IWX's CWA. I had the opportunity to intercept one of these tornado-producing storms near the small hamlet of Dupont, OH, in Putnam County, where the storm produced an EF-0 tornado that was confirmed by IWX yesterday. Below are four photos of the storm as it entered the town of Dupont and produced the tornado, which remained on the ground for approximately 3 minutes.

1. We pulled over along Road 22K, roughly five miles due south of Dupont, to discover a rapidly rotating mesocyclone with good inflow, and an associated wall cloud. Having seen countless photos of these structures over the American plains, it was honestly amazing to see one setup just over 10 miles away from my home.

2. The circulation began to tighten and the wall cloud became more defined as the storm moved closer to Dupont. At this point, we were still positioned around five miles south of the main area of interest. Warm inflow gusts began to increase to around 15-20mph at our location.

3. After another couple of minutes, and some debate about whether to re-position, a funnel cloud appeared and quickly touched down on the south side of Dupont. A look north across an open soybean field provided a great view of the entire storm: Meso, wall cloud, and tornado. 

4. A closer view of the tornado itself. Our attempts to get closer were thwarted by the tree lines along the Auglaize River. The wide, bowl shaped funnel suggested a large, strong tornado on the ground from our distance. However, IWX measured that the width of the tornado on the ground was only 25 yards, with a max wind speed of 65-70mph. This was a good thing in reality, as the tornado moved through the center of the town of Dupont (pop: 318). A tornado any stronger or wider would have been a major disaster.

This storm would go on to produce one more EF-0 tornado near New Bavaria, OH, on the Putnam/Henry County line, before dissipating totally. The storm also produced an EF-1 and two other EF-0s around Van Wert, OH. 

dupont_wallcloud1_clean_sharp.jpg

dupont_wallcloud2_clean_sharp.jpg

dupont_tornado.jpg

tornado_dupont2_clean_sharp.jpg

More stats, this time Indiana and Ohio specific.

Calendar days with 10 or more tornadoes in Indiana:

3/6/1961

4/11/1965

6/26/1973

4/3/1974

3/12/1976

6/2/1990

11/22/1992

4/19/1996

6/11/1998

4/20/2004

5/30/2004

10/26/2010

4/19/2011

5/25/2011

11/17/2013

6/30/2014

8/24/2016

Calendar days with 10 or more tornadoes in Ohio:

4/19/1963

4/11/1965

4/3/1974

6/30/1977

4/8/1980

5/31/1985

7/12/1992

6/30/1993

11/10/2002

6/22/2006

7/11/2006

9/16/2010

10/26/2010

6/12/2013

8/24/2016

8/24/2016 marked the 4th time that both states recorded 10 or more tornadoes in the same day.  The other days it occurred are 4/11/1965, 4/3/1974, and 10/26/2010. 

18 minutes ago, OHweather said:

Thanks for putting together that research, Hoosier. The 10+ tornadoes in the same day in both Ohio/Indiana is certainly an elite group of events.

Yeah, you have two of the top all-time outbreaks and then 10/26, which was not necessarily a high-end event but pretty unusual in some respects.  Obviously, it occurred with a surface low of record strength and the other unusual thing was the time of day as it initiated during the early morning hours.

The tornado confirmed by CLE was closer to Bowling Green. There was no tornado report near this on the preliminary storm reports list

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Cleveland OH
913 PM EDT FRI AUG 26 2016

...Tornado Confirmed Near 4 SW Pemberville in Wood County Ohio...

Location...4 SW Pemberville in Wood County Ohio
Date...Aug 24 2016
Estimated Time...9:06 PM EDT

Maximum EF-Scale Rating...EF0
Estimated Maximum Wind Speed...74 MPH
Maximum Path Width...20 yards
Path Length...0.04 miles
* Fatalities...0
* Injuries...0

One more stat pertaining to Indiana.  This is only the 4th outbreak during astronomical summer to have 3 or more F2/EF2+ tornadoes.  The others were 9/14/1965, 8/9/1969, and 9/20/2002 (I chose astronomical and not meteorological summer because early June in some ways is more like the spring months with shear, etc.)

Don't recall seeing this posted here so sorry if it was.  This guy from Kokomo shot video from his garage as the tornado was passing by.  It gets good just after the 1 minute mark as he looks to be capturing some winds in excess of 100 mph.  Particularly intense around 1:05-1:10 when the chimney gets blown off of the house across the street.

15 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Don't recall seeing this posted here so sorry if it was.  This guy from Kokomo shot video from his garage as the tornado was passing by.  It gets good just after the 1 minute mark as he looks to be capturing some winds in excess of 100 mph.  Particularly intense around 1:05-1:10 when the chimney gets blown off of the house across the street.

Probably not the smartest thing he did that day, but it made for a great video nonetheless!

6 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Saw that 80 homes in Kokomo are considered destroyed with 1000 damaged.  For comparison, the pair of tornadoes that went through there on 11/17/2013 damaged or destroyed about 300 homes.

What is the threshold for considering a structure "damaged"? Any storm related damage, a dollar amount, etc? Seems like saying homes are "damaged" isn't a great descriptor. In the insurance world, we use dollar thresholds, but that is a different world altogether 

Archived