Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 24 Indiana/Ohio Tornado Outbreak

Indystorm

2 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

What is the threshold for considering a structure "damaged"? Any storm related damage, a dollar amount, etc? Seems like saying homes are "damaged" isn't a great descriptor. In the insurance world, we use dollar thresholds, but that is a different world altogether 

I don't know, I was assuming any sort of physical damage to the home.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Emergency Management, during initial damage assessments, we rate damage using four categories:  affected, minor damage, major damage, destroyed. Obviously, the last three are considered damaged or destroyed.

The rub comes when a structure is "affected". The definition is "dwellings with minimal damage to structure and/or contents and the home is habitable without repairs."

I would assume that those "affected" homes are considered damaged. If I have time tomorrow, I will check with the State EOC to see if the initial damage assessment statistics are available.

10 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

What is the threshold for considering a structure "damaged"? Any storm related damage, a dollar amount, etc? Seems like saying homes are "damaged" isn't a great descriptor. In the insurance world, we use dollar thresholds, but that is a different world altogether 

OT, but do I remember you saying you're an adjuster? Just curious, because my brother has been an AFI agent for 30 years.

On 8/29/2016 at 8:10 PM, IWXwx said:

In Emergency Management, during initial damage assessments, we rate damage using four categories:  affected, minor damage, major damage, destroyed. Obviously, the last three are considered damaged or destroyed.

The rub comes when a structure is "affected". The definition is "dwellings with minimal damage to structure and/or contents and the home is habitable without repairs."

I would assume that those "affected" homes are considered damaged. If I have time tomorrow, I will check with the State EOC to see if the initial damage assessment statistics are available.

I checked WebEOC this evening and nothing has been posted yet as far as damage assessments. I will check back periodically.

On 8/29/2016 at 7:10 PM, IWXwx said:

Looks like you're correct.  81 destroyed, 173 major damage, 355 minor damage, 393 affected.  Adding all that comes to a total of 1,002. 

http://fox59.com/2016/08/29/over-1000-structures-impacted-by-kokomo-tornado/

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, wxman_ind said:

We've added a 7th tornado, an EF-0 in Howard County. That means 5 of the 7 tornadoes in central Indiana that day were in Howard County (yes, 1 of those 5 started in Carroll)!

Thanks for the update.

The first cell that dropped the EF-3 still had a heck of a wall cloud with for many miles. I caught it in Grant County and followed it through Wells and Adams counties, dropping numerous funnels and two more confirmed tornadoes. I witnessed it briefly drop a fourth that was never confirmed.

Archived