Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2016-17 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

My assumption would be that if the walk-up rate jumps a lot, the online pricing would stay fairly similar. 

Be interesting to see what it does to VT Travel Club $71/day rate and those other type deals. 

And yeah, MRG definitely has more availability for getting discounts and they have different pricing for mid-week/weekends/holidays, etc.  Stowe's pricing is the same if its a random Wednesday vs. a holiday Saturday.  I was just surprised that if you were in northern VT on vacation this week and was looking for lift tickets, MRG is only $10 less than Stowe.  I figured it would be at least $30 less at a minimum.

Very much hoping that Vail allows Stowe to continue to participate in discount card programs and ski council days.  I love coming to Stowe periodically, but typically can't plan too far in advance.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Banner day at Wildcat today.  Blue skies, nice temperatures, no lines and the groomers did a nice job.  I took a run on Wildcat trail while the boys ate lunch.  Ungroomed with icy bumps but not too bad.  Went back to the greens and blues (Polecat, Lynx, Catapult) with my sons after that.  Comfortably warm but no mashed potatoes yet. Shame to have missed last week, but still a great day.  

20170221_102813s800.jpg

20170221_103543s800.jpg

20170221_102452s800.jpg

There is basically no excuse other than pure laziness to pay walk up window price. Most places offer discounts directly on their website if you buy ahead of time. If not, other sites may have discounts, or you may get them through your hotel, etc etc.

I think the main idea of the closing gap between daily tickets and season tickets is you'll get people to buy the season pass, and they won't end up using it enough to make it valuable. 

The old "wow! If I ski 6 times the pass has been worth it", and then never ski 6 times lol

55 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ski council membership days are also the way to go... I think they are like $55 days at Stowe on the ski club appreciation/awareness days.  You just have to be available on those specific weekends.

And like Ginxy said, if you find slower times of the year (read March and April) you can often get some decent ski and stay packages where the lift tickets come out in the $50-60 range.  Bus trips are also an interesting option as often using a tour provider can cost less (even with transportation) than even the online ticket price as those tour operators get tickets at like $50 a pop.  Its funny when you see a bus trip advertised for like $75 out of PVD or something and the lift ticket price that day is $92.  So you get transportation and ticket for less than just the cost of what you'd pay for a ticket if you drove yourself.  But I personally like the freedom of driving yourself.

I've done bus trips in the past... mainly before I was able to drive, but they can be a good deal. The prices have obviously gone up over the years... but we were paying less for a ticket and transportation from Taunton to Sunday river than just buying a lift ticket.

The only downside is you are on someone else's time, and at the mercy of additional factors you can't control.

Its also a long day coming from down here. Up at 4 and usually not home until 9-10 o clock 

3 hours ago, sankaty said:

While reading up on the Stowe/Vail deal, I became aware of the Max Pass.  I'd heard of it as an add-on for certain season passes, but didn't realize it was available separately.  It seems pretty close to ideal for someone like me:

https://www.themaxpass.com/

I already have family memberships to very inexpensive ski clubs for both the CT Ski Council and NY Capital District Ski Council, with makes us eligible for all the awareness days throughout VT.

Combine the Max Pass, the ski council memberships, and something like the VT Travel Club Card (there is also the similar Ride and Ski card), and a whole family can have a ton of options for skiing at very reasonable rates.  I bet we could ski 20 weekend days a year and average around $40 a day.

That said, if I lived a little closer to Stowe, I'd definitely go for a Stowe pass.  I just can't make the 4-hour plus drive frequently enough to justify it.  Someday, maybe when the kids are older.

Vail's EPIC pass is available at all their resorts, isn't it?

If they're offering that price point for a season pass and jack up the day rate a huge amount that's going to be a sh*tshow in Stowe. The traffic on 108 and the parking situation is going to be insane. 

2 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Banner day at Wildcat today.  Blue skies, nice temperatures, no lines and the groomers did a nice job.  I took a run on Wildcat trail while the boys ate lunch.  Ungroomed with icy bumps but not too bad.  Went back to the greens and blues (Polecat, Lynx, Catapult) with my sons after that.  Comfortably warm but no mashed potatoes yet. Shame to have missed last week, but still a great day.  

20170221_102813s800.jpg

20170221_103543s800.jpg

20170221_102452s800.jpg

I love that place more and more everytime I ski it and some nice steeps. Good times man glad you had a stellar day. Great pics

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I'm fine.  They aren't known for purchasing and replacing staff.  They are smart operators...Vail isn't dumb.  If its not broken they won't fix it.  There may be some minor staffing restructuring or something but they need the institutional knowledge that the current staff has regarding the operations of the mountain and its winter/summer operations. 

I think its a great move and in general skiing is a sport for wealthy people these days.  Its not necessarily wealthy people but middle to upper class.  It just depends on your priorities...like I had a conversation with someone complaining about the seasons pass price at Stowe but then was telling me about his brand new $7,000 bicycle he likes to ride through the Notch in the summer.  To me, I'd purchase a seasons pass even if I didn't work here...but I'd never buy an expensive mountain or road bike like a lot of people around here like to do. 

Its capitalism and how every industry works...and a common misconception is that the lift ticket prices are much higher than they need to be.  The overhead costs are MASSIVE and the lift ticket yield is extremely small.  It basically covers costs and then the ancillary stuff is where you make money (like food and beverage, alcohol sales, ski lessons, rentals, etc).  The lift ticket sales barely pay the bills...its a very hard industry to have a good infrastructure and top-line on-hill experience while keeping ticket prices cheap.  Its pretty much impossible.  

I do what I can.

13 hours ago, CT Rain said:

Vail's EPIC pass is available at all their resorts, isn't it?

If they're offering that price point for a season pass and jack up the day rate a huge amount that's going to be a sh*tshow in Stowe. The traffic on 108 and the parking situation is going to be insane. 

It is.  I go out to Breck every January and that's one of their big selling points-you can use their season pass any ANY vail owned resort.   Paid $621 for a 5 of 6 day pass out there this year.  Season pass is something like $699.  Had I skiied a 6th day the season pass would make sense.

Today was a beautiful day of spring skiing & riding...but in February.  Still, the sun, mild temperatures, soft snow, deep snowpack...all seemed to mix very nicely.  Everyone was stoked on the slopes.  I think even after a warm winter there's something almost intoxicating about sunshine, calm winds, and 40s at the summit.  People just hanging out at the picnic tables all day long, just taking it all in.

Tim Kelley was hamming it up...ran into him and took a couple runs together.

16836470_10154186500892382_6940797782478

16904666_10154186500352382_3886156988961

Find the inversion.

16836371_10154186500572382_4247973026672

16819257_10154186500947382_3721609962361

16797532_10154186501072382_6035000888931

12 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I was thinking going to Mount Snow on Saturday but meh... the weather isn't looking great. 

I see the Euro is only spitting out a few hundredths of QPF during the day on Saturday.  Do you think it will be wetter than modeled?  We'll be up in VT either way.  I'm hoping for perhaps a misty, cloudy day on Sat with just a few showers.  The snow should be soft and crowds should be modest, so if it isn't too wet, it could be a pleasant springlike sleeper day.

Sunday looks rough with a late night/early morning flash freeze.

1 minute ago, sankaty said:

I see the Euro is only spitting out a few hundredths of QPF during the day on Saturday.  Do you think it will be wetter than modeled?  We'll be up in VT either way.  I'm hoping for perhaps a misty, cloudy day on Sat with just a few showers.  The snow should be soft and crowds should be modest, so if it isn't too wet, it could be a pleasant springlike sleeper day.

Sunday looks rough with a late night/early morning flash freeze.

Yeah plus a ripping southerly wind... I imagine some wind holds and sheet drizzle. 

Just now, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Even with everyone booked still from presidents week? Stratton was by far the most crowded I have ever seen it Sunday! The Gondi being down for wind didn't help either

People will likely just head home...usually there's turn-over around Friday night or Saturday morning when the President Week families head home and a new round of visitors come in like a normal weekend for Saturday and Sunday.  Lots of families take off for this weekend, you know get back home and situated with the kids, maybe do some homework they were supposed to do all week, etc and have one day at home before the daily grind begins again on Monday.

This past weekend was huge in Vermont.  Absolutely huge.  We set our single day record since we put the RFID system in several seasons ago.  I heard it was similar across the state.  Very well known snowfall in NNE leading up to President's Weekend...plus great weather on Saturday and decent weather on Sunday all added up to 2-3 huge days of visitations.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Damn Freak looks awesome, nothing better than spring skiing , google tans and cold ones on the picnic table.

Yeah man I know you get it, cold beer and skiing in hoodies with cobalt blue skis overhead...although it is a little early, I really love spring skiing days.  You're going to have an awesome vacation in March...no matter what the weather does, so much snow in the mountains that isn't going to melt with a mild week or two.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah man I know you get it, cold beer and skiing in hoodies with cobalt blue skis overhead...although it is a little early, I really love spring skiing days.  You're going to have an awesome vacation in March...no matter what the weather does, so much snow in the mountains that isn't going to melt with a mild week or two.

I never worry, the beer is always cold, the pool hot,the skiing is secondary. Just a time to spend with friends of 40 plus years now. Only real downer year we had was in 99( I think) with 6 inches of rain falling in two days, oddly enough the rest of the week was stellar as 4 inches of snow fell on the backside. The amount of water pouring out of the Whites in Pinkham Notch was insane when we went for a ride during the rain out. Good times

24 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This past weekend was huge in Vermont.  Absolutely huge.  We set our single day record since we put the RFID system in several seasons ago.  I heard it was similar across the state.  Very well known snowfall in NNE leading up to President's Weekend...plus great weather on Saturday and decent weather on Sunday all added up to 2-3 huge days of visitations.

Great to hear about the mountains doing well.  I heard that both Magic and Gunstock had to stop selling tickets times over the weekend to prevent overcrowding, so it seems like it's not just the major mountains.  It's also great that Magic has gotten their second lift running.

Wow.  That's pure panic right there from Win Smith.  I've never seen another competitor in the ski resort industry send out an email directly related to the happenings at another resort.

I don't think people understand the gravity of that email.  I would've sat and let it play out for a while.  He's spooked about losing seasons pass revenue would be my guess.  Then asks people to buy real estate.  

Theres a reason why you won't see Killington, Jay, Smuggs issue press releases because Stowe was purchased.  

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Wow.  That's pure panic right there from Win Smith.  I've never seen another competitor in the ski resort industry send out an email directly related to the happenings at another resort.

I don't think people understand the gravity of that email.  I would've sat and let it play out for a while.  He's spooked about losing seasons pass revenue would be my guess.  Then asks people to buy real estate.  

Theres a reason why you won't see Killington, Jay, Smuggs issue press releases because Stowe was purchased.  

I don't know the business end of it all too well nor the politics, but I wouldn't think Smuggs would be too threatened by this given the target demographic there compared to Stowe (as we discussed previously). I am confident Smuggs will be ok in the end with a loyal following. I am guessing Sugarbush is triggered by this because they do try to compete with Stowe in terms of demography. Either way as I have said I just hope all the boats will continue to float for the sake of the state economy and I know I am fortunate to be able to ski in the first place no matter what hill I'm on. I will still continue to go to Smuggs with the occasional splurge at Stowe and perhaps a night ski or two at Bolton. I was given a free ticket to Killington which I also have to use this year still (probably will do that in March).

Archived