SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2016 General Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Highly unusual path through Iowa, to be sure. Lots of instability still around and weak LLJ pushing sultry air over the top of that cold pool should keep it going for a while. Gonna be a washout up there for sure. It'll also probably mess up the temp forecast tomorrow with all of the overturning and remnant outflow to the south tomorrow.

MCS sure ended up farther west than progged by most guidance, or another way to put it is that areas farther east that were looking good got screwed.  I had been following the models pretty closely and they generally had more activity farther east, more through Michigan and Indiana.

14 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

MCS sure ended up farther west than progged by most guidance, or another way to put it is that areas farther east that were looking good got screwed.  I had been following the models pretty closely and they generally had more activity farther east, more through Michigan and Indiana.

Story of the entire summer.

4 hours ago, Stebo said:

Story of the entire summer.

And to pour salt on the wounds, lo and behold the MCS that blows up this morning in SW Ontario and is now diving into OH / PA (while we just get to suffer from its debris crap).

I don't know about you, but I'm definitely over this severe weather season.

I don't think I've had a t'storm wind gust above 30 MPH this entire season, let along all of the other goodies that comes along with organized convection (such as shelf clouds, CTG lightning, hail, massive towers, etc). And I don't even think the total number of t'storms this season, when we average 35-40 per season, can be counted on both hands.

There's little chance of redemption at this point. I'm ready to bring on Summer 2017.

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Power back on after almost 4hrs.  Picked up 1.01" this eve.  Just shy of 5" for July now.

Outflow has reached Keokuk.  Currently sustained winds of 288mph.

3450je1.jpg

Lol.

Jason Puma at IND this morning:

Nam fails to recognize ongoing convection to the northwest. That
is all I am gonna say about the NAM.

Not to rub salt in the wounds of the MI posters, but we did get a nice storm here yesterday around 5 PM, with winds up to 50 MPH, several large tree limbs snapped, torrential rain (0.86" in less than a half an hour) and some spectacular lightning.

29 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

took a quick look around... wouldn't be shocked if we don't get much above 87

I know Weather.com already stuck their fork on today in regards with the high temperature. Alongside ILN, they're still hinting low 90s this weekend, but I doubt that will happen at all this weekend.

Dews down about 10 degrees compared to yesterday, and we're still in the 70s with quite a few clouds.  That MCS definitely had a huge impact over a large area.

We have another 7-8hrs to go, so I wouldn't be surprised to see us tag  a late day 90.  Dews will probably jump up later in the afternoon once the temps get going.  The northwest half of Iowa, and southern MN are pretty well untouched.  Those areas are gonna bake pretty good today.  Should see that heat slowly build southeast later today as areas southeast of that slowly recover.  I'm guessing by 6pm MLI will be around 90/80.

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Dews down about 10 degrees compared to yesterday, and we're still in the 70s with quite a few clouds.  That MCS definitely had a huge impact over a large area.

We have another 7-8hrs to go, so I wouldn't be surprised to see us tag  a late day 90.  Dews will probably jump up later in the afternoon once the temps get going.  The northwest half of Iowa, and southern MN are pretty well untouched.  Those areas are gonna bake pretty good today.  Should see that heat slowly build southeast later today as areas southeast of that slowly recover.  I'm guessing by 6pm MLI will be around 90/80.

Clearly some lingering effects of the cold pool.  I think this is also going to hurt convective chances later and wouldn't be surprised if activity this afternoon is isolated/hit or miss at best in northern IL.

Even though this heat wave has been less than anticipated overall, yesterday was about as brutal as it gets for western IL and much of Iowa.  Don't see HI above 115 every summer.  Temperature wise it's a very forgettable heat wave, but the extreme moisture and associated HI values were very impressive.  The 96 at MLI back in June may end up being the hottest air temp of the season unless we get another heat wave in August.

Up to 84/73/90 here.  Still some patches of mid-level clouds floating through.  Still think we'll make a run at 90/80/100+ by 5-6pm.

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Even though this heat wave has been less than anticipated overall, yesterday was about as brutal as it gets for western IL and much of Iowa.  Don't see HI above 115 every summer.  Temperature wise it's a very forgettable heat wave, but the extreme moisture and associated HI values were very impressive.  The 96 at MLI back in June may end up being the hottest air temp of the season unless we get another heat wave in August.

Up to 84/73/90 here.  Still some patches of mid-level clouds floating through.  Still think we'll make a run at 90/80/100+ by 5-6pm.

There's some upper 70s/80 degree dews farther west in Iowa but I'm not sure they will make it that far east in the next few hours.  Airmass is really taking its time recovering. 

Archived