Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
21st Century Banter Thread

jburns

1 hour ago, Brick Tamland said:

Not a fan of the new look, especially the colors. Is there a way to change the theme?

Every time I go to a page, I get a pop up asking me if I want to get notifications for the site. That's annoying.

Also, whenever I try to go back a page, it just sits there and says loading.

Relax dude. Its not the end of the world. They have to work out the kinks. Im having no issues on my end with Firefox

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been a ****ty last 24 hours. Had to put down my 14 yr old princess, Blu Sky. She had a miserable past 24 hours so we put her down yesterday afternoon. Talk about an emotional moment. Im still suffering from it. The two dogs were like our kids for my wife and I.

then the upstairs AC unit died and got to 86* upstairs yesterday afternoon/evening. Now it is down to a nice tasty 83* inside. Waiting to hear back from the home insurance warranty company to send us an email about a contractor coming out to look at it.

So glad we are leaving today for the beach for a few days. I need to get away from this black cloud

Rest in Peace my princess, Blu Sky. :(

Dec 10 2013 Blu in the new snow on top of the hill.JPG

36 minutes ago, Avdave said:

Been a ****ty last 24 hours. Had to put down my 14 yr old princess, Blu Sky. She had a miserable past 24 hours so we put her down yesterday afternoon. Talk about an emotional moment. Im still suffering from it. The two dogs were like our kids for my wife and I.

then the upstairs AC unit died and got to 86* upstairs yesterday afternoon/evening. Now it is down to a nice tasty 83* inside. Waiting to hear back from the home insurance warranty company to send us an email about a contractor coming out to look at it.

So glad we are leaving today for the beach for a few days. I need to get away from this black cloud

Really sorry to hear that, man.  Terrible thing to lose a pet.  They are indeed members of the family.  Sorry about the AC unit too.  Ours typically does that once per summer.  It's a 23 year old unit.  We have American Homeshield, and it's well worth it, based on just the AC alone.  They usually do a good job about getting someone out in a day or two.

26 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Really sorry to hear that, man.  Terrible thing to lose a pet.  They are indeed members of the family.  Sorry about the AC unit too.  Ours typically does that once per summer.  It's a 23 year old unit.  We have American Homeshield, and it's well worth it, based on just the AC alone.  They usually do a good job about getting someone out in a day or two.

I was wondering how American Home Shield works. Our unit is 17 years old, along with the stove, above range microwave, disposal, and fridge. Just got a new water heater and dishwasher last year. Do they only repair the AC unit, or would they replace it if it ends up not being able to be fixed?

1 hour ago, Avdave said:

I read your post on Facebook.  You have my deepest sympathy. It hurts.  I lost my 15-year companion, Victor just over a year ago. I got lucky though.  He was lying under his favorite tree in my backyard and just went to sleep. I didn't handle it well at all.  After about only 1 month I started looking around and ended up going to a rescue and got a 4yo dog that looked similar.  He had been abused. In 1999 I got Victor from a rescue as a puppy. It took a while but we have adjusted to each other and now my thoughts of Victor bring a smile to my face instead of a tear to my eye.  Although, I will admit, still not every time. Hang in there, it will slowly get better.

35 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

I was wondering how American Home Shield works. Our unit is 17 years old, along with the stove, above range microwave, disposal, and fridge. Just got a new water heater and dishwasher last year. Do they only repair the AC unit, or would they replace it if it ends up not being able to be fixed?

You pay an annual fee and can get different levels that cover different things.  I think we pay somewhere around $350/year and that covers various appliances and pipes and stuff.  You will pay a fee (somewhere around $60, I think) for a service tech to come out (the tech is from a place of AH's choosing) and fix the problem.  That's it.  If you have a major unit go out, like AC, you will have to pay a larger fee in addition to the service fee.  We had a compressor go out on our upstairs unit, and we had to pay an extra $100.  So, if you have old appliances/units, it may well be worth it.  It has been for us.

The one I was looking at was $50 a month and you pay $100 for the service fee. The AC unit is the biggest thing I am worried about. But we'd like to replace it soon anyway because we have a half story upstairs we'd like to finish and get a unit big enough for both floors. I think I will wait until we do that to get the protection on the new one.

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

thanks CR. Yeah it truly does suck. I have or had two now just one husky left and she is 14 and battling the early stages of kidney disease but she acts she is 4 still. Hopefully we have her for another year or so.

As for the AC yeah it sucks. I think the unit is only as old as the house and that is 10 yrs old or so. We had one claim on it and the tech guy came out and said I can put a temp fix on it but your warranty wont cover it probably. So it was working well until the hot day yesterday and now it is toast. We have american homshield as well and yes it is a 65 dollar fee. We havent heard back from them yet.  We are going to the beach in SC later today for afew days and thje downstairs AC is working great. N eed a change of scenery

58 minutes ago, jburns said:

I read your post on Facebook.  You have my deepest sympathy. It hurts.  I lost my 15-year companion, Victor just over a year ago. I got lucky though.  He was lying under his favorite tree in my backyard and just went to sleep. I didn't handle it well at all.  After about only 1 month I started looking around and ended up going to a rescue and got a 4yo dog that looked similar.  He had been abused. In 1999 I got Victor from a rescue as a puppy. It took a while but we have adjusted to each other and now my thoughts of Victor bring a smile to my face instead of a tear to my eye.  Although, I will admit, still not every time. Hang in there, it will slowly get better.

Thanks Jon. It really does hurt. It was really tough going downstairs and looking for her and she isnt there anymore. It sounds like the right way to go for your boy Victor. How peaceful. Im still struggling with it today, it sucks, it really does.  We said we are going to wait and see what happens with Winter over the next few months to a year. She is fine so far being a lone pup, which isnt like her so not sure if she is trying to figure this out or not.  We did the same thing with Blu, got her from the shelter and she was abused and shaved the fur off her. why in the hell would anyone do that is beyond me, she is a husky for crying out loud. We will get another one Im sure just dont know when and we always resuce them from the shelter. Thanks for the words, appreciate it

2 hours ago, Avdave said:

So sorry to hear about Sky, Dave. We have Boxers and I never realized how close you could get to a pet until my wife brought these two into my life. It wont make the pain stop but warm salt air does a body wonders. Heading to Emerald Isle myself today.

i have yet to see a winter forecast say hot and dry in all my years of life. at worst, all i have ever heard was slightly above normal temps and slight below precip but only like 1% of the forecasts will ever show that while the other 99% greedy people for money drown them out with the incompetent public on FB.

it will take a exceptional drought and 100 degree temps for some to even say "below normal precip and above normal temps"

21 hours ago, frazdaddy said:

So sorry to hear about Sky, Dave. We have Boxers and I never realized how close you could get to a pet until my wife brought these two into my life. It wont make the pain stop but warm salt air does a body wonders. Heading to Emerald Isle myself today.

thanks Fraz!!!  Yeah thats the part you dont think about when you adopt a pet. Its the hardest thing to deal with. I keep thinking about my girl all the time and wish I could bring her back but in healthy shape instead.  Enjoy Emerald Isle and have fun

Last winter not likely to be outdone at least for the northern foothills...that ice storm was rare like every 50 years if I had to guess. Plus snow easily met a 10" average and more around here. I'll be in Boone so I'll be sending updates for Elkin/Sparta/MountAiry on what to expect for ground truth/timing instead of Yadkin/Winston-Salem areas due to different proximity now becomes more difficult. Sorry for the unconviences I know some live and die by me.

2 hours ago, SimeonNC said:

Yea but still, last winter was pretty warm overall with autumn feeling more like spring. This year we have a better chance at seeing some decent, consistent cold and a real autumn with hopefully more storms for the non-mountain/foothill areas.

Made it to -3 last winter in the foothills on February 20th. Then we saw above freezing thunderstorms with it below freezing near the surface and lost power.

That's how bad it sucks for snow in NC even above 1,000ft. I'm sick of CAD. Consistent cold won't produce as its hard to maintain for longer than 3-6 days. We need more "luck shots" of cold coming from the north-west (not north-east) at the SAME time with GOM moisture. Absolutely sick of cold in place prior or after causing precip transitions.

I know I won't be dealing with this problem in Boone near as much. I also want to see up-slope come back from the dead where the hell has it been for WNC the past several years?

4 minutes ago, SimeonNC said:

Speaking of winter storms of the past, can someone who was actually alive during the blizzard of '93 explain how the Piedmont of North Carolina got shafted as far of snow totals. I'm struggling to believe how areas in Georgia, Alabama, and WNC got 1'+ of snow but the areas east of the foothills of NC barely got anything.

The low pressure with that blizzard tracked too far to the west. It needed to track another 50-100 southeast for of NC from I-85 east to get much from it.

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FAIRBANKS AK
359 AM AKDT TUE JUL 19 2016

AKZ206-200200-
/O.NEW.PAFG.WS.W.0007.160719T1400Z-160720T2000Z/
NORTHEASTERN BROOKS RANGE-
INCLUDING...ANAKTUVUK PASS...ATIGUN PASS...GALBRAITH LAKE...
SAGWON...FRANKLIN BLUFFS
359 AM AKDT TUE JUL 19 2016

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM THIS MORNING TO NOON
AKDT WEDNESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN FAIRBANKS HAS ISSUED A WINTER
STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM THIS
MORNING TO NOON AKDT WEDNESDAY.

* LOCATION...ABOVE 3500 FEET EAST OF THE DALTON HIGHWAY.

* SNOW...4 TO 8 INCHES.

* TIMING...THE HEAVIEST SNOW WILL FALL FROM LATE THIS AFTERNOON
  THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL AND OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES WILL BE DIFFICULT.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS ONE OR MORE SIGNIFICANT WINTER
WEATHER HAZARDS ARE OCCURRING OR EXPECTED.

&&

$$

• jburns locked this topic

Archived