Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
21st Century Banter Thread

jburns

3 hours ago, Isopycnic said:

Yes. Just the tv content makes it worth it, the free shipping is cool too although the "2 day" shipping is more like 3-4 days anymore.

This is the main reason I want it. TWC already has me raked with 3 dvr's and 4 rooms, not to mention the ultimate high speed internet available, and every sports channel known to mankind :lol:  I just can't justify spending another $20+ so my Daughter and Granddaughter can watch tv when they stay the weekend. 

3 hours ago, Jon said:

Love it, can't beat free 2-day shipping. If you know anyone in college and you can use their email, prime student is 50% off.

My daughter just graduated this past summer  :lol:     Thanks for the heads up though :D   It will pay for itself easily I'm sure and I've never had any trouble in the four years I've purchased things from Amazon. Seems like a win win to me ;)  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Does anyone here have Amazon prime? I'm seriously considering getting it for the year, and would like some opinions :)  

I have used it since it first came out.  Everything is to be shipped 2 day delivery at no cost.

In the early days, it was always by Fedex but lately they have been trying to use non reliable last mile carriers like Lasership

Pricing is also lower on my items under Amazon Prime.

I also use the Subscribe and Save that gives you an additional 15% off.  Household items you use regularly will ship in a big box at the first of the month.

You also get another 5% discount on Prime if you pay for your purchase on the Amazon Credit Card.

I recommend it

25 minutes ago, nchighcountrywx said:

I have used it since it first came out.  Everything is to be shipped 2 day delivery at no cost.

In the early days, it was always by Fedex but lately they have been trying to use non reliable last mile carriers like Lasership

Pricing is also lower on my items under Amazon Prime.

I also use the Subscribe and Save that gives you an additional 15% off.  Household items you use regularly will ship in a big box at the first of the month.

You also get another 5% discount on Prime if you pay for your purchase on the Amazon Credit Card.

I recommend it

Thanks for the tip! :D The only thing I've ever done is go to the donation pages to help the animals/natural disaster relief/etc.   I should plunder around the website more :)

17 hours ago, Avdave said:

Wow its been 6 yrs and still not adjusted yet. that doesnt bode well for me. How in the hell do people work outside with long sleeves on during the summer months. I dont get it. I am about dead wearing a T shirt and shorts.

I outsourced yard work this year, no regrets whatsoever. There are way too many other things going on to stay on top of that in addition to anything else. The people that come by manage to do our 1/2 acre pretty fast, but there are 3 or 4 of them.

Amazon Prime rocks FWIW. We use it all the time.

3 hours ago, Ser Pounce said:

I outsourced yard work this year, no regrets whatsoever. There are way too many other things going on to stay on top of that in addition to anything else. The people that come by manage to do our 1/2 acre pretty fast, but there are 3 or 4 of them.

Amazon Prime rocks FWIW. We use it all the time.

I have someone cut the yard and trim for me but I do the rest. I actually enjoy yard work especially the plantings and I got to start with a new lot this summer. This fall will be fuin for me so I can continue to work on it

16 hours ago, buckeyefan1 said:

Thanks for the tip! :D The only thing I've ever done is go to the donation pages to help the animals/natural disaster relief/etc.   I should plunder around the website more :)

I also forgot to mention that you also get Amazon Prime Music.    

For all of the CDs you have bought from Amazon, as long as they are available, they will auto load all of your CDs purchased in Prime Music as MP3s.

Over the past 15 years or so, Amazon has been about the only game around for CDs and hard to find CDs so that paid off for me as a benefit also.

You also can do whatever you want to with the MP3s as you actually purchased the CD.

MP3 purchases also load into Amazon Prime Music and you also get some limited content just to stream.

2 hours ago, Avdave said:

On 8/21/2016 at 3:41 PM, buckeyefan1 said:

Does anyone here have Amazon prime? I'm seriously considering getting it for the year, and would like some opinions :)  

I've had it for the last few years.  Going to let it expire after this year is up.  Here are some important points:

My Pros:

- Two-day shipping on many items without having to reach a certain order total in most cases.

- There are items there that you can't find anywhere else, or if you do they cost much more. (outside of Ebay)

My Cons:

- The streaming media content accounts for a big chunk of the monthly/yearly fee and I do not use it much if ever.

- Sales tax is now enabled in South Carolina for orders.

- Slowly, more items (smaller necessities) are going the "add-on" route.  Which means you still with Prime, have to reach a certain order total for them to take the time to send you said item.  So lets' say you need a fuel filter for a lawn mower.  Well, even though you have Prime, you will likely have to order other stuff to get it shipped.

- In my last year or so of experience, their customer service is starting to go down hill.  I bought a keyboard from there in their warehouse section.  It was sold as "brand new, box might have some damage from dropping, but everything was still sealed etc."  I took a chance and bought it, supposed to come with a free $60 game.  Arrived opened and no game.  Someone bought it, took the game, and returned it to Amazon.  When I called, no help since it was considered a used item.. although their site says it's just a dinged box, brand new sealed.

^ Don't get me started on the used dehydrator they sent me that didn't even work marked as being new.  Try to stay away from warehouse deals with "dinged" boxes.  It used to be great but it's not anymore.

In my opinion, if you are going to be placing 10 order a month, enjoy streaming media and things you can't find on Netflix or Hulu, try it out.  I think they offer a monthly plan now.  Also, they used to offer free 30 day trials.  Personally, I just get Best Buy to price match their prices now in store locally, but I buy mostly tech stuff on the internet.  My mom on the other hand loves it (getting a bit annoyed with it lately) because she buys things for her cats, bulk trash bags, bulk tea bags, things like that not easily found as cheap as Amazon and can be costly to ship.

I'll be posting more again here soon. A lot has transpired here lately with college drama..... I applied and finally got accepted into an online co-hort major so I will be back in the. foothills soon. I will miss Boone but this is better for my grades ultimately.

The sex is great and all but the drama afterwards...lord I have some crazy stories in just my short time. The drug problem in Boone is serious...surprisingly just one death of a student so far on the very first day of class. 

5 hours ago, NWNC2015 said:

I'll be posting more again here soon. A lot has transpired here lately with college drama..... I applied and finally got accepted into an online co-hort major so I will be back in the. foothills soon. I will miss Boone but this is better for my grades ultimately.

The sex is great and all but the drama afterwards...lord I have some crazy stories in just my short time. The drug problem in Boone is serious...surprisingly just one death of a student so far on the very first day of class. 

Already got kicked out of ASU? Damn, you must be a major troll.

Also, if you have to brag, it most likely didn't happen.

20 hours ago, Avdave said:

I have someone cut the yard and trim for me but I do the rest. I actually enjoy yard work especially the plantings and I got to start with a new lot this summer. This fall will be fuin for me so I can continue to work on it

I was ok with yard work until moving here. Vines - mostly virginia creeper and honeysuckle grow like crazy and I haven't been able to kill them. Throw in the heat and humidity and it's like Costa Rica sometimes.

8 hours ago, NWNC2015 said:

bullshit.gif

Please don't.

Also, you didn't know App had a drug problem? C'mon man. It's been that way for decades.

2 hours ago, Ser Pounce said:

I was ok with yard work until moving here. Vines - mostly virginia creeper and honeysuckle grow like crazy and I haven't been able to kill them. Throw in the heat and humidity and it's like Costa Rica sometimes.

To keep it interesting you might be able to throw the Zika virus into the list next summer.

9 hours ago, NWNC2015 said:

You have two warnings. One more bad post and you are gone. Tread carefully

3 hours ago, Ser Pounce said:

Vines are a pain in the arse, it is like Bamboo, tough to kill and rid of.

31 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

To keep it interesting you might be able to throw the Zika virus into the list next summer.

LOL Good point. I survived the West Nile outbreak in nYC and NJ last decade hope I can avoid the Zika now lol.  At least I wont get pregnant and have any issues

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Please don't.

Also, you didn't know App had a drug problem? C'mon man. It's been that way for decades.

Lol.  Even way back in the 60s, the marching band carried more flasks then you would find in a Dow Chemical lab.  I still have mine.

2 hours ago, FallsLake said:

There's nothing like Zika turning up in Mexico turning up in the news a week after returning from a vacation there while the wife who is a total mosquito magnet is 4 months pregnant. Everything came out fine but that'll get you just a little nervous for a while.

I wouldn't say "kicked out" per say.....but it was getting to that point with the RA beating on my door in the middle of the night. I'm glad to have my car back so I can easily just drive up there to meet my newly made connections. Also this will save me several thousand a semester just living down the road at home. Had the doctor of the program declined my request to join I would be sitting at home doing nothing for a year.

1 hour ago, NWNC2015 said:

I wouldn't say "kicked out" per say.....but it was getting to that point with the RA beating on my door in the middle of the night. I'm glad to have my car back so I can easily just drive up there to meet my newly made connections. Also this will save me several thousand a semester just living down the road at home. Had the doctor of the program declined my request to join I would be sitting at home doing nothing for a year.

Lol. Troll

I will never understand why there is so much bashing of local forecasters on the internet because they don't agree with someone or are wrong sometimes.   It's almost like issuing a warning or producing a bullish forecast far out is going to change what the weather will ultimately do.  Hopefully we can keep that to a minimum for the NWS & Local Media this coming Winter on this forum.

6 hours ago, Ser Pounce said:

There's nothing like Zika turning up in Mexico turning up in the news a week after returning from a vacation there while the wife who is a total mosquito magnet is 4 months pregnant. Everything came out fine but that'll get you just a little nervous for a while.

Man I'm glad the test came back good. It's gotten to the point that if you're a female and pregnant, stay away from any place tropical. The real scary thing is, give this virus another year and a good portion of the US may also be in that category. 

1 minute ago, FallsLake said:

Man I'm glad the test came back good. It's gotten to the point that if you're a female and pregnant, stay away from any place tropical. The real scary thing is, give this virus another year and a good portion of the US may also be in that category. 

True, I read about local transmission in another part of FL this afternoon. The mosquitos that they say carry the virus are thick around our city so it's yet another thing I'm watching. She never was tested for Zika FWIW, the ultrasound around week 20 showed the baby's head was a normal size and he was born in April perfectly normal. We were in Puerto Vallarta during the dry season and I don't think cases have been reported there yet but all it takes is the wrong mosquito biting someone.

On 8/23/2016 at 6:31 PM, Shawn said:

I will never understand why there is so much bashing of local forecasters on the internet because they don't agree with someone or are wrong sometimes.   It's almost like issuing a warning or producing a bullish forecast far out is going to change what the weather will ultimately do.  Hopefully we can keep that to a minimum for the NWS & Local Media this coming Winter on this forum.

I'm the only one who does that its not really a widespread problem??

12 hours ago, metalicwx366 said:

00z GFS 888MB. 00Z Euro 914MB. Holy. Storm is currently bombing out right now so as the models are showing. Its ridiculous how people here aren't even talking about this yet. Most likely since we only do TCCOR 96 hours out.

that is pretty damn impressive, WOW!!

• jburns locked this topic

Archived