joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
21st Century Banter Thread

jburns

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What part of Hawaii? I would love to live on the big island. It can get snow at the highest elevations. Sometimes even winter storm warnings.

I'm on Oahu. The island with Honolulu and where 70% of the Hawaii population is.

Yeah the big island got snow last month which was a rare event. There is an army base over there, but most of the military installations are on this island.

yea but when something does its too late too risky tsunami and North Korea

Tsunami nah. And North Korea a threat to Hawaii? :lmao: :lmao:

We can't talk about this in banter I believe.

I think it's funny how some people believe Hawaii gets hurricanes and tsunamis every year. Not referring to you NWNC2016.

I'm on Oahu. The island with Honolulu and where 70% of the Hawaii population is.

Yeah the big island got snow last month which was a rare event. There is an army base over there, but most of the military installations are on this island.

Yep someday I'll try to vacation in Hilo. I'll be able to stay away from most of the tourist but be able to see the real Hawaii.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to visit your location but have always loved the big island's geography.     

Thanks everyone it means a lot to see all of the great comments! Weather got me through the depths of hell that is pharmacy school. I'm glad I have a great hobby for life and a forum to enjoy it on!

Enjoy.  Once they realize you can't give them free drugs, they will go back to treating you like crap.

LOL. I can give them an immunization if they need one but no, no free drugs.

they should give us special tags for holding college degrees obviously we had to take math and science courses that we use when reading model output and coming to inteligent conclusions etc

I'll leave the tags to the experts in this field but I agree having an analytical mind does help. However, I learn far much more reading from the posters on this board. If there's ever a Pharmacy forum that gets popular I'll get my red tag on there. I'll won't post much there though, I enjoy weather much more. haha

I will say if there are people still in college (or that never went) and want to become a met, go for it. I was terrible at math and what not in high school, started in community college, now I have 3 degrees. I think people believe they will always be bad at math, or always be bad at ____. Not true. Anything is possible. For all the future mets out there, go for it...don't let the "no jobs" crap scare you. I was told that starting pharmacy school, and while there IS saturation and there are LESS jobs, you may have to take a met job in BFE but with experience comes reward. Build the resume up and land a big city job. Easier said than done, I'm sure...but people retire all the time...someone has to replace them, why not you? Do something for yourself 5 years from now, you won't regret it. Alright, off my soap box.

I will say if there are people still in college (or that never went) and want to become a met, go for it. I was terrible at math and what not in high school, started in community college, now I have 3 degrees. I think people believe they will always be bad at math, or always be bad at ____. Not true. Anything is possible. For all the future mets out there, go for it...don't let the "no jobs" crap scare you. I was told that starting pharmacy school, and while there IS saturation and there are LESS jobs, you may have to take a met job in BFE but with experience comes reward. Build the resume up and land a big city job. Easier said than done, I'm sure...but people retire all the time...someone has to replace them, why not you? Do something for yourself 5 years from now, you won't regret it. Alright, off my soap box.

I've always struggled with math and I'm less than a year away from graduating with a meteorology degree. I started off in community college taking remedial math and worked my way through calc-based physics and differential equations. I've taken most of my calculus classes twice because I truly am bad at math, but I eventually made it through them all. (5 years in once I graduate in the spring) Persistence pays off and if you put your mind to it and don't give up, you can make it. I second the saying "go for it".

Well said, Jon.  And congratulations on your most recent degree!  Being "bad at math" (whatever that actually means) is largely socially acceptable too.  Some people wear it as a badge of honor and are not afraid to tell others that.  You rarely hear anyone admit, "I suck at reading, writing, and speaking."  I hope we can change the culture in our education system so that it's not okay to be "bad at math".  I am glad that you were able to overcome your struggles with mathematics and see that it was quite possible for you to complete the necessary work and even excel at it.  It often just takes the right teacher to change your perspective on math, or any other subject that a student may not particularly care for.

I've always struggled with math and I'm less than a year away from graduating with a meteorology degree. I started off in community college taking remedial math and worked my way through calc-based physics and differential equations. I've taken most of my calculus classes twice because I truly am bad at math, but I eventually made it through them all. (5 years in once I graduate in the spring) Persistence pays off and if you put your mind to it and don't give up, you can make it. I second the saying "go for it".

Disc, there's no way that you are "bad at math" if you made it through the calculus sequence.  Now, it may not be your strongest subject or the one that captures your interest the most, but you must have some skill and ability to pass those courses.  So, well done!  Way to persevere, no matter how long it might have taken you.  Many of my favorite students have been those who were not the strongest at the subject, but they worked incredibly hard and were determined to master the material.  It's a very rewarding experience -- for me and for them! -- to see those students make it through their math classes.

Well said, Jon. And congratulations on your most recent degree! Being "bad at math" (whatever that actually means) is largely socially acceptable too. Some people wear it as a badge of honor and are not afraid to tell others that. You rarely hear anyone admit, "I suck at reading, writing, and speaking." I hope we can change the culture in our education system so that it's not okay to be "bad at math". I am glad that you were able to overcome your struggles with mathematics and see that it was quite possible for you to complete the necessary work and even excel at it. It often just takes the right teacher to change your perspective on math, or any other subject that a student may not particularly care for.

Disc, there's no way that you are "bad at math" if you made it through the calculus sequence. Now, it may not be your strongest subject or the one that captures your interest the most, but you must have some skill and ability to pass those courses. So, well done! Way to persevere, no matter how long it might have taken you. Many of my favorite students have been those who were not the strongest at the subject, but they worked incredibly hard and were determined to master the material. It's a very rewarding experience -- for me and for them! -- to see those students make it through their math classes.

Spoken like a true professor!

Disc, there's no way that you are "bad at math" if you made it through the calculus sequence.  Now, it may not be your strongest subject or the one that captures your interest the most, but you must have some skill and ability to pass those courses.  So, well done!  Way to persevere, no matter how long it might have taken you.  Many of my favorite students have been those who were not the strongest at the subject, but they worked incredibly hard and were determined to master the material.  It's a very rewarding experience -- for me and for them! -- to see those students make it through their math classes.

I will admit that differential equations was actually quite interesting, which made it a bit "easier". Everything before that was just a nightmare. I suppose you are correct that I'm probably not nearly as bad at math as I make it sound, but I'm never gonna admit that I'm great at it.  :lol: I definitely struggled with the material and grasping the concepts, but I was just good enough to barely get by.

Now onward to finishing up a couple leftover met classes (the math ones..) I need to finish up!  :)

i think SPC is too confusing for the public with the whole SLIGHT, ENHANCED, MOD, HIGH

I feel like there should be a numerical score or something completely different. to me it would make more sense to have isolated, scattered, and widespread. coverage seems more important than chance. 

No

i think SPC is too confusing for the public with the whole SLIGHT, ENHANCED, MOD, HIGH

I feel like there should be a numerical score or something completely different. to me it would make more sense to have isolated, scattered, and widespread. coverage seems more important than chance.

You should create your own Wilkesbrodud Prediction Center.

I also think WINTER STORM WATCH/WARNING, BLIZZARD WATCH/WARNING, WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY, BLACK ICE ADVISORY, HEAVY SNOW WARNING, LAKE EFFECT ADVISORY/WARNING, WIND CHILL ADVISORY/WARNING

should all be combined into just saying Winter Weather Statement that explains what to expect in a timely matter

the political correctness has to stop in the met world if we want to save lives who are not familiar or ever will be with the certain criteria and stuff

I also think WINTER STORM WATCH/WARNING, BLIZZARD WATCH/WARNING, WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY, BLACK ICE ADVISORY, HEAVY SNOW WARNING, LAKE EFFECT ADVISORY/WARNING, WIND CHILL ADVISORY/WARNING

should all be combined into just saying Winter Weather Statement that explains what to expect in a timely matter

the political correctness has to stop in the met world if we want to save lives who are not familiar or ever will be with the certain criteria and stuff

No

• jburns locked this topic

Archived