Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
18z Models 12/21/2010

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12Z NAM 84h 5h map identical to 12Z Euro. 18Z NAM 84h 5h map very close to 12Z GFS 90h. The surface solution of the 18Z NAM looks quite a bit like the 12Z Euro at 84/90 hours though...

I'm not a met, but to my inexperienced eye, there are some significant - and potentially very important - differences between the 18Z NAM 84h and the 12Z GFS 90h aloft...I can't agree with you on that. The position of the energy on the NAM is well south and west of the GFS and much stronger, and the Atlantic blocking looks much stronger on the NAM too.

Just my two cents.

18z NAM h5 parting shot at 84.. nice ridge in the Western US

nam_500_084s.gif

That's beautiful! The PNA ridge has reached the former monster block in Central Canada. Alignment looks good to my eyes as well. Quasi 50/50 is slowly drawing the confluence North and as several have noted, there would almost certainly be a phase on the subsequent panel if the NAM went to 90hrs.

I'm not a met, but to my inexperienced eye, there are some significant - and potentially very important - differences between the 18Z NAM 84h and the 12Z GFS 90h aloft...I can't agree with you on that. The position of the energy on the NAM is well south and west of the GFS and much stronger, and the Atlantic blocking looks much stronger on the NAM too.

Just my two cents.

I'm no met either, and while I would never enter into any debate about weather with a met, I don't see very many similarities in those maps either.

This has a lot better look to me compared to the 12Z. The ridge out west is stronger with maybe a very slight shift west. The trough doesn't have such an extreme positive look. The height fields are evident and building on the east coast. Also there is an very evident shortwave dropping into the trough where it wasn't as defined in the 12Z.

Talking about a trend.

12Z NAM 500h looked nearly identical to 12Z Euro at same time, closed low and all:

nam_500_084s.gif

18Z NAM 5h chart takes a major step toward 12Z GFS at 90h

nam_500_084s.gif

No they're not identical, but the 12Z looked like a carbon copy of the Euro, the 18Z has moved toward the GFS solution from what I see.

Talking about a trend.

No they're not identical, but the 12Z looked like a carbon copy of the Euro, the 18Z has moved toward the GFS solution from what I see.

One set of runs does not constitute a trend imo, that is observed over 3-4 runs in a particular model, or across the board in several models over a couple runs. Allan mentioned this in the SE thread about why it might look similar to the 12z global. Not sure if this is only on the off hour runs, or every run.

Keep in mind the NAM uses the previous run of the GFS for boundary conditions, thus especially in the 72-84 hour range, the model is going to be very close to the GFS for these events where features start outside or near the edge of it's grid.

Those aren't the same time frame. You are comparing two different model runs at 84 hours. Those frames are 6 hours apart.

I'm not comparing the images to each other. I'm comparing them to the 12Z Euro/GFS at the same valid time. The first (12Z NAM) is identical to the 12Z Euro in the handling of the S/W at 84 hours. The second (18Z NAM) has taken a step toward the 12Z GFS solution at 84 hours, that is all I'm saying, it is no longer a carbon copy of the Euro.

EDIT: What I didn't mention is that even though the upper level seems to have stepped away from the Euro, the surface solution still looks very similar to the 12z Euro. With such disparate solutions, I'm interested to see which solution the NAM seems to be buddying up with...thats the point of the comparison.

Archived