Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
18z Models 12/21/2010

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow... 18z GFS trended even FURTHER away from its own solution (12z and prior runs)... all the while the Euro and other models trended towards a significant storm. We're watching a game of chicken between the GFS and Euro. Now, I have no idea which solution is correct. Both sides could also be wrong. However, I really do think that the GFS is struggling with the phasing of the two streams in days 4-5.

The euro has let us down many times...but I've seen this happen alot on big east coast storms where the euro abuses the Gfs. If Gfs showed a storm and euro didn't..it would be over

Ji, I would agree. However, at the most recent debacle with the Euro, it's anyone's guess at this juncture.

What appears to be the main issue is closing off H5 in the SE. If the H5 remains closed, the system slows enough and is able to turn the corner and phase. Otherwise, the system head OTS and never phases.

Anyway you toss the dice, there's going to be a big time show down with tonight's Euro.

I'm not comparing the images to each other. I'm comparing them to the 12Z Euro/GFS at the same valid time. The first (12Z NAM) is identical to the 12Z Euro in the handling of the S/W at 84 hours. The second (18Z NAM) has taken a step toward the 12Z GFS solution at 84 hours, that is all I'm saying, it is no longer a carbon copy of the Euro.

EDIT: What I didn't mention is that even though the upper level seems to have stepped away from the Euro, the surface solution still looks very similar to the 12z Euro. With such disparate solutions, I'm interested to see which solution the NAM seems to be buddying up with...thats the point of the comparison.

I noticed the same thing, that COULD be bad, doesn't mean it IS bad, but it COULD be...see the DT post, that when an outlying model starts seeing ANY support soon after its outlying run or has multiple runs showing something different it may be onto something.

What appears to be the main issue is closing off H5 in the SE. If the H5 remains closed, the system slows enough and is able to turn the corner and phase. Otherwise, the system head OTS and never phases.

Anyway you toss the dice, there's going to be a big time show down with tonight's Euro.

Definitely a major piece of the puzzle. Thats why when the 18Z NAM moved away from the closed low it had at 12Z to a faster open wave (more similar to the GFS handling of the S/W) I found it interesting enough to point out. It's just one run but something to keep in mind for future cycles.

Archived