• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2016 General Discussion

IWXwx

2003 was also coming out of a moderate-strong Nino, so hopefully we see something similar this year. I'm fairly optimistic for a big spring uptick this year and then expecting a very active pattern next year.

Hopefully during the week of may 9th to 13th :lol:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put together a chart of the most recent 10 winters - plus this, yet unfinished, winter of snowfall for DTW and CLE. There has been discussion of snow jackpots, snow increasing, etc, but here's a side by comparison of two relatively close cities (roughly 100 miles apart). Obviously CLE is impacted way more by lake effect snow than DTW is, but theoretically synoptic snow shouldn't be that different. For two cities so close together, one could reasonably figure that both would receive comparable amounts of snow, relative to normal, each winter given the pattern that sets up. However, that's not even close to being the case.

What's interesting is that when you compare the % of normal snowfall for each station the past 10 years plus this season, DTW has had more snow - relative to normal - than CLE in 10 of those 11 winters! In fact, DTW has been beating CLE for 9 winter's in a row with regards to % of normal snowfall received. The numbers aren't even close at all either. Call it luck, call it a snow magnet, but DTW is certainly in its own league with regard to snowfall as of late or CLE is just getting exceptionally snow holed by comparison!

post-599-0-39248700-1460073527_thumb.png

it's been snowing at a decent clip here for awhile. The ground is white again.

Looks to continue for here at least another couple hours should be enough to cover the ground.

Also

I'm willing to bet some spots in the thumb is nearing 90" on the season.

For sure. I think Flint is over 70 inches and there's been a few times recently where it snowed here and rained in Flint. Amazing for a super Nino.

We are less than 2" from 70 here. I'm talking about places in the deep thumb like Bad Axe might be approaching 90" if not more.

I put together a chart of the most recent 10 winters - plus this, yet unfinished, winter of snowfall for DTW and CLE. There has been discussion of snow jackpots, snow increasing, etc, but here's a side by comparison of two relatively close cities (roughly 100 miles apart). Obviously CLE is impacted way more by lake effect snow than DTW is, but theoretically synoptic snow shouldn't be that different. For two cities so close together, one could reasonably figure that both would receive comparable amounts of snow, relative to normal, each winter given the pattern that sets up. However, that's not even close to being the case.

What's interesting is that when you compare the % of normal snowfall for each station the past 10 years plus this season, DTW has had more snow - relative to normal - than CLE in 10 of those 11 winters! In fact, DTW has been beating CLE for 9 winter's in a row with regards to % of normal snowfall received. The numbers aren't even close at all either. Call it luck, call it a snow magnet, but DTW is certainly in its own league with regard to snowfall as of late or CLE is just getting exceptionally snow holed by comparison!

snow_chart_DTW_CLE.png

We have certainly been a snow magnet synoptically speaking. 2006-07 & 2012-13 were exceptional for LES here, but obviously synoptic is the dominant force. People were so obsessed with DTW getting the big dog (which they ironically got last winter when cold was the big story) that the record parade of snowstorms was taken for granted. I don't need a stat to tell me how much better we do in the snow department than we should, I just hope it keeps up. The turning point overall was 2002-03, a time when I realized we CAN get a real snowy winter, but 2007-08 is when we went full steam ahead.

Archived