joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2016 General Discussion

IWXwx

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now THAT I agree with. Every single year, a flurry in April brings out people saying "snow in April?". Most years, April snow is negligible in this area but it happens. In 135 years of record, there have been only 37 Aprils on record with no measurable snow, and just SEVEN with not a single flake of snow, but the 20th snowiest April is just 3.7".

Detroits granddaddy snowstorm of 24.5" happened in April, but the next largest April snowstorm is 7.4". Three of Detroits top 8 April snowstorms have come recently (2003, 2005, 2009). Even Flint only has 1 double digit April snow and Saginaw 2. They happen, just not too often.

My favorite April snow is probably 3.2" on Apr 15, 2014 because it cemented an epic winter into the all time #1 slot :)

I normally tell people that a Trace of snow in May is not that unusual.  Historically a Trace is normal :whistle:

Wow this squall going through NW Indiana was fantastic. Got really dark, the winds were HOWLING and this sleet/graupel would come down as if someone just dumped a bucket of it. Lasted all of 5min, but very entertaining to watch pass through.

looks nice down in SW  Lower, Geos.

constant snow with imbedded squalls this afternoon.  temp has been 20 for a couple hours.  April sun not even a factor here today.

8.4"  since 6 am

Wow, 20° in the middle of the day in early April!

The band and pivot is heading right towards Stebo's area.

post-7389-0-40412900-1459622149_thumb.jp

Definitely more intense today than expected. Steep lapse rates FTW. Have had 2 intense squalls roll through here at LOT that were some of the more intense ones I've seen here. Definitely visibility briefly under 1/4 mi and winds pushing 50 mph.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

looks nice down in SW  Lower, Geos.

constant snow with imbedded squalls this afternoon.  temp has been 20 for a couple hours.  April sun not even a factor here today.

8.4"  since 6 am

What's the guest bedroom situation there?

Archived