• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Winter/Into Spring!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At times yes, I use the Bufkit Warehouse website to view the snowfall totals it does much better than those general 10:1 maps..

Oh that was just a guess for this storm from me. Sfc to 700mb temps are ****. And the lift from waa 850 fronto is located lower in that atmosphere. Theyll improve at the tail end in the weak 700 def that develops tomorrow morning.

I'm still confident that the models are absolutely having an abysmal time forecasting because they relentlessly are trying to force this low up the spine of the Apps. The Euro is very close to shoving the whole thing east and tracking it essentially up the Hudson River Valley, which would avoid all the high terrain from the Apps/Adirondacks. The 18z RGEM just shifted remarkably east over its last 2 runs (It had 50s in SYR), and the HRGEM is doing similar things now. 

It will be very interesting to watch if this system can consolidate east of the mountains rather than track straight through them. An extremely difficult forecast on I-90 from BUF back to SYR, but someone should see a good 10-20". My best bet is ROC, but anywhere 75 miles east/west of there could be the real jackpot. Have fun with that NWS BUF!

I'm still confident that the models are absolutely having an abysmal time forecasting because they relentlessly are trying to force this low up the spine of the Apps. The Euro is very close to shoving the whole thing east and tracking it essentially up the Hudson River Valley, which would avoid all the high terrain from the Apps/Adirondacks. The 18z RGEM just shifted remarkably east over its last 2 runs (It had 50s in SYR), and the HRGEM is doing similar things now. 

It will be very interesting to watch if this system can consolidate east of the mountains rather than track straight through them. An extremely difficult forecast on I-90 from BUF back to SYR, but someone should see a good 10-20". My best bet is ROC, but anywhere 75 miles east/west of there could be the real jackpot. Have fun with that NWS BUF!

That absolutely appears to be the case. You can see the hi-res models slam the deepening low into the Smoky Mountains and almost sense them thinking "Well, now what?" Then the low becomes elongated/splits into two/stalls/etc. I'm not sold that these models have the final track down in any sense.

Channel 9 in Syracuse is way west with their forecast. They are forecasting 15 to 20 inches of snow over far western New York(west of Rochester) and a high near 50 in Syracuse tomorrow.

Edit: On their 6:15 weather segment, Dave Eichorn on channel 9 said the new run of the model they use has shifted the axis of heavy snow east. It's now over Rochester (congrats Tim). The new forecast high in Syracuse is mid to upper 30's.

Channel 9 in Syracuse is way west with their forecast. They are forecasting 15 to 20 inches of snow over far western New York(west of Rochester) and a high near 50 in Syracuse tomorrow.

I seen that also on channel 9, but that has now changed since that earlier forecast. Had the heaviest snow right at rochester and the 50 degree temps out toward utica now. Everything shifted east from the 5 p'clock forecast to the 6 o'clock forecast on the news.

That absolutely appears to be the case. You can see the hi-res models slam the deepening low into the Smoky Mountains and almost sense them thinking "Well, now what?" Then the low becomes elongated/splits into two/stalls/etc. I'm not sold that these models have the final track down in any sense.

I think the best example of that is the latest RGEM run. It really desperately tries to force a primary up the spine, but a double barrel low forms and then consolidates again but further east. While SYR gets up to 41F eventually, it's much colder in general, especially compared to the previous runs. In fact this is probably the most snow I've see on any run for Oswego. 

post-595-0-44199000-1455578678_thumb.png

Keep watching trends and the 0z suite. Even the WPC has a cluster of ensemble tracks well southeast of their official track. 

Archived