• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Winter/Into Spring!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm actually rooting for a track right up I-81 more or less. There are hundreds of fellow weenies on this forum (fueled by pimple faced hubristic red taggers) that have stated over and over and over in years gone by, that an slp track up the spine of apps can't happen. Fortunately, those dopes aren't in this board. I'll gladly suffer 2" of wind blown rain and temps near 50 just to prove these jackwagons wrong, yet again. It's shaping up to be an old school southern CT winter storm for me. Which means: you're f*cked.

Roc mets upping the game

Todd is great; I interned under him at TWC way back over 10 years ago. Another fine product of SUNY Brockport! I think mentioning 2 foot amounts are kind of silly though; too much that is not ideal with this set-up. How often does western NY see 2 feet from a synoptic storm? I don't care what the QPF is showing; this one is not closing off and wrapping up far enough south for anyone to get the necessary back-side deformation snows needed to reach 2 feet. Not to mention most of the storms that have reached that level in WNY have had some sort of lake enhancement. I think 14-17" is the max anyone sees, and even that will be tough. 

Its unusual to see a storm take that track but not unheard of.  Heck, its not overly common to see a storm shoot up the Hudson Valley, but obviously they do happen.  Its actually snowing here in Eastern NYS!  Its not going to last long obviously, but I haven't been able to say those words much this winter either;)  I hope WNY enjoys this one...someone will double my seasonal total in this one storm alone.    :snowwindow:

I'm actually rooting for a track right up I-81 more or less. There are hundreds of fellow weenies on this forum (fueled by pimple faced hubristic red taggers) that have stated over and over and over in years gone by, that an slp track up the spine of apps can't happen. Fortunately, those dopes aren't in this board. I'll gladly suffer 2" of wind blown rain and temps near 50 just to prove these jackwagons wrong, yet again. It's shaping up to be an old school southern CT winter storm for me. Which means: you're f*cked.

Todd is great; I interned under him at TWC way back over 10 years ago. Another fine product of SUNY Brockport! I think mentioning 2 foot amounts are kind of silly though; too much that is not ideal with this set-up. How often does western NY see 2 feet from a synoptic storm? I don't care what the QPF is showing; this one is not closing off and wrapping up far enough south for anyone to get the necessary back-side deformation snows needed to reach 2 feet. Not to mention most of the storms that have reached that level in WNY have had some sort of lake enhancement. I think 14-17" is the max anyone sees, and even that will be tough.

I have to agree. 2 foot snow totals are of historic proportions for Kroc. And it usually involves lots of lake enhancement. On the other hand, even 12-15" would be a fantastic synoptic event.

2 feet is quite ridiculous considering the concrete-like

ratios, mixing concerns, lack of lake enhancement and speed of the system. That said, it certainly doesn't lack deep moisture.

7-12 for the ROC is my call. Backbreaking stuff too. I took off work tomorrow to drive around and chase. Should be an interesting day as I'll be surfing the line it would appear.

Side note - Todd and I attended brockport at roughly the same time. He's a good guy.

2 feet is quite ridiculous considering the concrete-like

ratios, mixing concerns, lack of lake enhancement and speed of the system. That said, it certainly doesn't lack deep moisture.

7-12 for the ROC is my call. Backbreaking stuff too. I took off work tomorrow to drive around and chase. Should be an interesting day as I'll be surfing the line it would appear.

Side note - Todd and I attended brockport at roughly the same time. He's a good guy.

Ur not gonna be surfing any line Delta!  All snow for KROC right through the event.  I'm thinking Sodus Bay east will see some mixing but I can;t see KROC mixing but I can definitely be wrong!

WE ARE NOW FAIRLY CONFIDENT THAT THE 700MB FRONTOGENESIS... ASSOCIATED
WITH THE BACK SIDE OF THE SFC LOW... WILL BE NW OF OUR REGION
THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT... THIS NOW MAKES US BELIEVE THAT THE HEAVIEST
SNOW WILL BE PLACED FURTHER WEST THAN PREVIOUSLY THOUGHT... MAINLY
OVER BUF CWA. WE STILL ARE EXPECTING SNOW AND ICE TO FALL IN OUR
AREA... BUT NOT HAVE AS GREAT OF AN IMPACT AS BUF.

Congrats KROC and you most certainly deserve it thats for sure!

Ur not gonna be surfing any line Delta! All snow for KROC right through the event. I'm thinking Sodus Bay east will see some mixing but I can;t see KROC mixing but I can definitely be wrong!

I feel like I'm going to get pingers mixed in for an hour or so no matter what. They always sneak in further NW than progged.

Since im chasing, I'll probably head east early in an attempt to find the line (if it's close) then circle around west down 5&20 to head back into the thick of the snow. Should be a fun morning.

March 4 1999

I was a freshmen at brockport for this storm. Still ranks as my personal record for a 3 day snowfall. My professor (Dr. Rochette) did a paper and presentation on it at the northeast storm conference several years later. You might be able to find it online. I think the consensus is that there was lake enhancement.

Does anyone remember March 1999. 2 feet from that with no lake involved. And it started as rain

Yup, I lived in Fairport for that one. 25" then 18" a couple days later. Arguable that some spots up on the NW-side of Rochester had some lake influence, but yeah, that was essentially all synoptic. 

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/1999/us0304.php  <=== take a look at 850/700/500 panels, and you'll see what a 'big one' is supposed to look like. Think the sfc low got down around 980 mb somewhere over NY state. Then we got 18" from like a 1010 mb low 2 days later, lol. Lake enhancement with that for sure. 

Archived