• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Winter/Into Spring!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the paper my professor wrote on the storm. Id like to see if I could get a copy of it.

Rochette, S. M., and J. A. Maliekal, 2001: An examination of the 4 March 1999 blizzard. Abstracts, 26th Annual Northeastern Storm Conference, Saratoga Springs, NY, Lyndon State College Chapter, Amer. Meteor. Soc., 14.

Damn good analog right here!  March 3-4, 99!  Pretty much the same track, almost perfect, with the same kind of WAA as well as a strong HP moving off the MA coast pumping mid level warmth NEward.

030400.png

Well, not exactly. The differences may look subtle at first glance, but they are pretty significant. Just compare to 500 mb...no upstream 'kicker' shortwave, and everything is phasing fully, and already closed even at that level. This thing doesn't close off at H5 until it's in Canada, lol. 

This is the paper my professor wrote on the storm. Id like to see if I could get a copy of it.

Rochette, S. M., and J. A. Maliekal, 2001: An examination of the 4 March 1999 blizzard. Abstracts, 26th Annual Northeastern Storm Conference, Saratoga Springs, NY, Lyndon State College Chapter, Amer. Meteor. Soc., 14.

Yeah I looked here: http://vortex.weather.brockport.edu/~rochette/ 

Too bad, he has almost every other paper there. Gotta love the color scheme on that page, haha

Come on, there are huge differences between the current storm and the 1999 storm! Just compare the 500 mb maps. Surface storm track is similar, but 1999 storm was much more dynamic, much stronger upper level system.

Two feet with this storm would be an incredible outcome...don't think it's very likely but would love to be wrong!

Come on, there are huge differences between the current storm and the 1999 storm! Just compare the 500 mb maps. Surface storm track is similar, but 1999 storm was much more dynamic, much stronger upper level system.

Two feet with this storm would be an incredible outcome...don't think it's very likely but would love to be wrong!

Thank you! :) 

Yeah I know, I'm nuts, lol!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I would think you'd be okay, prob just mostly light snow when you hit it. Just so long as you drive smart. And so long as you're okay with seeing a few inches, followed by a bunch of rain, then another inch or two. 

Archived