• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Winter/Into Spring!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll say this, I think it's going to be a better thing to be the closest to the mixing line as possible as the QPF will just be incredible if you can ride the line so to speak. The heaviest rates are in such a narrow corridor.

True...Kind of ironic that we get a significant synoptic system to hit WNY and we're likely to end up with a very narrow jackpot area, not too much different than a lake effect event.  Might have to "chase" to get into the heavy banding of this storm.  

True...Kind of ironic that we get a significant synoptic system to hit WNY and we're likely to end up with a very narrow jackpot area, not too much different than a lake effect event.  Might have to "chase" to get into the heavy banding of this storm.  

The reason being is this low pressure does not completely close off. By the time it hits its stride its well north in canada, but look at the snow shield by the time it gets there. Much bigger, this was so close to being a monster if it ended up closing off.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_8.png

He's liking the torchiest fcst. Lol

That guy is ridiculous. It's so obvious he puts little work in, just picks something out in the lowest quartile and waits for other people to ratchet the forecast up.

At least the regular weekend guy (recent PSU grad I think) does analysis, even if he doesn't have the pattern recognition experience for WNY yet. 

They're gonna miss Don Paul when he's gone.

I grew up on Long Island in the 70s, and there were so many storms like this...you had to be right on the edge (well, just west of the edge) to maximize the QPF/vertical motion to get into that sweet spot where it was just cold enough to snow. So many times you'd go to bed as the snow began, only to wake up to that wonderful ping ping ping sound. I don't want to hear that ping ping ping sound tonight!

Nowadays, of course, the NYC area cashes in on a regular basis. They don't know how lucky they've been.

Actually, the 12z Euro (via Wunderground snowfall map) shows the axis of heaviest snows from ROC east to 40 miles west of SYR.....wonder if the Euro is trying to shift to the east side of the Apps....? If 18z NAM goes colder (east) then there should be worry about the current thinking/warnings posted (shift east)...we'll see...

Euro indeed jumped east. This is a very interesting storm. I had given up on any significant snow here but the pressure falls in the south are moving due east and the low itself appears to be a bit south of where it was supposed to. If it scoots up the east side of the Appalachians or makes an early transfer there could be a few surprises.

sfc_con_3pres.gif

Euro indeed jumped east. This is a very interesting storm. I had given up on any significant snow here but the pressure falls in the south are moving due east and the low itself appears to be a bit south of where it was supposed to. If it scoots up the east side of the Appalachians or makes an early transfer there could be a few surprises.

sfc_con_3pres.gif

Interesting, we will see what the 18z runs show I guess..

I was repeating what I've heard many times. Like a parrot. Thanks for the correction.

I know....it is a pet peeve of mine....that said, this is a pretty delicate situation, re: storm track...least resistant LP track east or west of the apps....just a few mile difference in LP formation in either direction can have a rather large impact on whether this goes from west of Atlanta to SYR/ROC or from near Atlanta to Albany...

I know....it is a pet peeve of mine....that said, this is a pretty delicate situation, re: storm track...least resistant LP track east or west of the apps....just a few mile difference in LP formation in either direction can have a rather large impact on whether this goes from west of Atlanta to SYR/ROC or from near Atlanta to Albany...

Did you see long range LEK? Looks awesome!

ecmwf-ens_z500a_us_11.png

Archived