• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Winter/Into Spring!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro expands snowfall coverage by quite a bit. That being said, Rochester is literally its highest snowfall south of Canada. With, catch this Tim, 20". Wow. It also kisses Buf and Syracuse with significant (10"plus) snow. I wonder if the little lollipop over monroe county indicates just a touch of Lake enhancement?

Oh definitely!  This is a perfect track for KROC as they get the synoptic deformation but also, embedded within the synoptic bands, there are bound to be LEnhancement all across the South Shore from just West of KROC all the way over to Oswego cty, on the East end.  Unfortunately, Buffalo doesn't benefit from much LE, as a NNW-NW trajectory just isn't favorable!

Winds would be 5-15 MPH with up to 20-25 MPH gusts. Not cold enough for any lake enhancement.

Its different within a synoptic environment as opposed to a true LE event.  As long as the trajectory is ideal, the lake will just add additional moisture to the synoptic environment, therefore not needing the traditional delta T of 13F before a lake response is seen.  LE should be plentiful all across the South Shore as I already said!

Lake is 40 degrees remember. Cny what are 850 in second half of storm.

It doesn't matter within a synoptic environment just as if we were along the Atlantic and were getting pummeled by a Nor' Easter due to a wicked LLJ transporting moisture off the ATL.  This is sort of like the same scenarion but only on a much smaller level.  The differential between the lake temp and the temps at 850mb doesn't have to exist, you follow me?

With that slp track on Euro and other models, it's awfully close to I-81 corridor. I think we spend a lot of time as something other than snow around KSYR and esp KBGM...maybe not rain but...

There's no doubt we mix, as no mixing was never implied by me, but the duration of said mixture can greatly be reduced and perhaps avoided especially if the rates can overcome any kind of mid layer warmth that's within the BL.  It depends on so many factors whether or not one switches over completely, which I do not think happens unless your West of lets say, Rome-Utica area. We're talking a matter of miles here where if the tracks off by 50 miles either way, the sensible weather can be worlds apart.  

I will say this about the Syracuse area and my experience is that if they can get a chance to mix, they will mix NO DOUBT and that's been my experience, as there is nothing stopping the LLJ from just punching through especially on a S-SE wind trajectory.  

There is one observation that I just came across and it doesn't bode well for those already on the fence regarding temps.  The Euro is currently running quite a bit colder than what current observations are actually displaying.  For instance, the Euro at 06z has KBMG at -11 and its currently -2 there, so that's obviously 9 degrees too cold right now and thats one of many many busts too cold.  It has KROC at -8 and their at 2 above, WTF?  Lets hope the most recent LE event puts sort of a mini baroclinicity zone for this system to use as a means of passage, lol.

Archived